Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf Mk1 Deco 2l 16v ABF

ABF Dicktator 60-2 sputters and dies

Post by Hannibal8026 »

Good day guys

I'm baffled and hope someone can help me :cry:

So I swapped over from a Dicktator Standard ECU with single coil and dizzy on my ABF to 60-2 with magnetic crank pick up and a 4 pin Opel Corsa Coil pack, the newer ones without the fins. With the wire colors being different, I bought a new loom and re wired everything. Started first turn of the key. Did the timing and fueling and off I went :grin:

Now 2 weeks down the line and this is the problem I'm running in to. It first started with a jerk, 2 times in a row, but quick and only once. But I thought nothing of it and went on with my day. Now today pulling away from a stop sign and already in 3rd gear and it starts to splutter, gearing down trying to keep it alive it just swallows air and makes a few random pops and bangs through the intake. And then a second time about 5kms later same thing.

However, when I switch the ignition off and back on again the problem is rectified and I continue on my way. The second time this happened I had a chance to take a quick glance at the dicktator and I noticed that the orange light is not flashing as per usual but the green light is. Is this my wiring mistake or is this a faulty dicktator.

I hope someone can point me in tbe right direction.

Thanks in advance.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Re: ABF Dicktator 60-2 sputters and dies

Post by PapaJo »

Did you change the coil charge setting to constant charge and what is the value set to now? You are now on wastedspark setting and no longer on single coil???

Sounds like the coil charge is getting saturated and as soon as you switch off ignition and back on the coil charge drains.
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

One more thing to check is your fuel pressure.
Hannibal8026
Enlisted

Post by Hannibal8026 »

Thanks for the reply.

The coil is currently set to constant charge time and its at a value of 2.000ms? Should it be constant duty percentage?

Fuel pressure is constant 3.5bar
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Wasted spark selection need to be set as constant duty percentage. A common set value is50-55%
Hannibal8026
Enlisted

Post by Hannibal8026 »

Thanks. Will try it. Hopefully i don't damage the coil.
Hannibal8026
Enlisted

Post by Hannibal8026 »

PapaJo wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:24 pm Wasted spark selection need to be set as constant duty percentage. A common set value is50-55%
Thanx for the advice. The problem is still not fixed, though the coil is f*cked now. So lesson learned that the charge time should be set to Constant Charge Time on these coil packs and I'll keep it at 2.000ms.