my caddy build up with new golf1 dashboard does not want to

sasstuka
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months

my caddy build up with new golf1 dashboard does not want to

Post by sasstuka »

goodnite ones. I an new and I sommer come with a problem. I got s buildup 1983 caddy bakkie.with a modern dashboard( the cities golf shape,almost velocity like) . the problem is my car do not want to start. the dashboard lights does not come on. nothing. I bought a new battery, nothing.. and the problem is that at first it was okey before I exchange batteries..but now everything is dead. I cannot now which fuses it might be becos I t is not the original dashboard and thus there's no directory book or so. if I can maybe know where to check for any power because it seems the bakkie does not get any power from the battery. first it was as if the patrolpump does not run., then the dashboard lights, then the patrol gauge that moved funny. and now there's nothing. please help.
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Re: my caddy build up with new golf1 dashboard does not want

Post by Supervan II »

Did you get it like this or did you do something that might have caused it?

ETA: And where are you based?
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT

Post by PapaJo »

Was the whole engine harnass installed too?

If so, Check behind battery for 2 fuses in fuse holders as they are the main power supply wires to dash and other electronics. Check also at the base of the battery tray on the gearbox side on the corner is two brown wires that must be connected on the 6mm stud for you earth.

You say it was ok before you changed batteries. Did you put all the power wires back the same way?
sasstuka
Enlisted

Post by sasstuka »

sorry for late reply, I am still learning to use these tool. I have heard from some friends that on the right side f the dashboard underneath there is a control box and also two huge relays for the pump and whispers... so I have changed it then the pump came on and when I took out and put back these huge fuses next to the battery the lights came on on the dashboard..I am now sure that my pump needs either attention or now and then the power supply to it cut out, becos it dies again , it actually comes and goes but still the car does not start as if the pump gives not enough petrol or none.with regard to the ultimate power,it seams I have to press hard on those fuses or tick-tock on the battery terminals before the power shows on the dashboard.. I'm totally lost and the problem does not seem big..
sasstuka
Enlisted

Post by sasstuka »

dear papajo and supervan i'm from kuruman in northern cape. yes I got the bakkie like this , seemingly it was made to be a fuel injection . also with regard to the grounding wiring you talked about is it some kind of flat wiring and does it need to be joint to the tapper cover at the top..patient guys I'm just using the names and language I'm used to...
PapaJo
Brigadier

Post by PapaJo »

Eishh, many unknown things here. So you tinkered with the fuses behind the battery and now you have lights on the dash board.

You are talking about fuel pump running, so I'm guessing motor is running fuel injection too. Was the key and computer box decoded or was it installed with the transponder? If lights come on now and no power to the starter, It could also be an immobilizer that is still sitting in the wiring loom.

Please take some pictures and post here as that would help us to be more clear in our explanations as we then can see what is done and what is right and or wrong on the wiring.
mxova
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Re:my golf1 citi wont use the fuel gauge and dashlights like when my hazards are on.lastly i cant even see the temperat

Post by mxova »

Hi honourable dubbers.i've got aproblem with my golf1 citi as its fuel gauge is not working and all the lights on the dash as for temp and hazards..even that of the battery
PapaJo
Brigadier

Re: Re:my golf1 citi wont use the fuel gauge and dashlights like when my hazards are on.lastly i cant even see the temp

Post by PapaJo »

mxova wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:19 pm Hi honourable dubbers.i've got aproblem with my golf1 citi as its fuel gauge is not working and all the lights on the dash as for temp and hazards..even that of the battery
Start a new thread and also give more info like year model, type of dash installed, carb fed or fuel injected,installed immobilizer and so on.

That will give us a better idea to point you in the right directionof trouble shooting.