Which sika to use for spoiler

Neeven
Cadet
Registered for: 2 years 7 months

Which sika to use for spoiler

Post by Neeven »

Hello good people, hope everyone is doing well.

I have recently bought a boot spoiler for my polo 9n and the guys at the shop said they use sika to stick the spoiler on.

I want to buy the sika but it turns out there's a few and I'm not sure which one to take exactly.

Can someone please help with which type of Sika is used to stick the spoiler

Thanks in advance

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Re: Which sika to use for spoiler

Post by dcmk4 »

If you want to remove the clear coat and probably paint when you remove the spoiler, by all means go for it.
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
Abdullah
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by Abdullah »

Having the same issue.
What do you guys use to mount the spolier?
Tried almost every double sided tape as well no luck
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

What do these spoilers look like?

Fiberglass, rubber, size? Post pictures of it mocked up in position.

Sikaflex requires the surface to be "keyed" and prepared to ensure adhesion, that means 80 grit then chemical grease removal. An adhesion promoter is optional for a stronger bond. Curing takes between 24 and 48 hours.

Short version the shop that sold the spoiler and said to use Sika, are ***ken re***ded. Sorry for the language. The spoiler will stick for a month and then come flying off and kill some poor innocent on the freeway.

A properly mounted spoiler is BOLTED to the boot lid and there are holes made in it so it becomes a permanent part of the car. Not reversible. If you don't like it afterwards it would mean a replacement boot lid.

Sorry for the rant, but the advice given to you gents got my blood boiling. Please name and shame this/these company/ies. Hopefully we can stop them from claiming to be "experts" and selling inferior quality products.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

missioner wrote:What do these spoilers look like?

Fiberglass, rubber, size? Post pictures of it mocked up in position.

Sikaflex requires the surface to be "keyed" and prepared to ensure adhesion, that means 80 grit then chemical grease removal. An adhesion promoter is optional for a stronger bond. Curing takes between 24 and 48 hours.

Short version the shop that sold the spoiler and said to use Sika, are ***ken re***ded. Sorry for the language. The spoiler will stick for a month and then come flying off and kill some poor innocent on the freeway.

A properly mounted spoiler is BOLTED to the boot lid and there are holes made in it so it becomes a permanent part of the car. Not reversible. If you don't like it afterwards it would mean a replacement boot lid.

Sorry for the rant, but the advice given to you gents got my blood boiling. Please name and shame this/these company/ies. Hopefully we can stop them from claiming to be "experts" and selling inferior quality products.
The shop I bought my spoiler was from Autostyle in Umhlanga,Durban. Basically they told me to purchase the Black Sika Flex for windscreens and it'll hold on nicely. It's a good thing you told me this won't work as I would have most likely had my spoiler fall off on the freeway.

You are correct, the spoiler does have holes on it for it to be bolted but I thought they might have some alternate way to install it that wouldn't require any drilling on the car.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

There's a Pic of the spoiler that I'm trying to put in my car, it's plastic and quite lightImageImage

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Shot.for the pictures.

Autostyle dudes in Umhlanga are somewhat Tarded.

You have a buddy in the autobody business that was going to colour match the spoiler to the car, I suggest you let him do the rest of the job of mounting the spoiler and bolting it down.

He will use sealant under it as part of the job, but it's only purpose is to make the door water tight and dust proof after it gets more openings in it.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+