Reliability of a MK 7.5 92kw Engine with Dry clutch DSG?

FluxX171
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2018 MK7.5 Golf 1.4 TSI

Reliability of a MK 7.5 92kw Engine with Dry clutch DSG?

Post by FluxX171 »

Hi All

So purchased my 2018 Golf 7.5 1.4 comfortline May 2020 @ about 24k kilos on the clock. Been a beautiful ride. She is silver with the R line kit...

My motor plan expires at 90000 kilos. I'm now on 60k kilos. I'm contemplating upgrading to a GTI some day but wouldn't mind keeping the TSI for another 2 years... if I do decided to keep her I'm just concerned about the reliability. I do admittedly push the car on the high way and floor it from time to time... but I barely let the car creep forward to avoid ware and tear on the clutch for example. Also I don't flat foot it from a stand still or anything. So it's all in moderation I'd say. I drive a fair amount for work.

Can anyone tell me how reliable is the engine/gearbox in general? And how much would it be to extend the warranty over 90k IF I decide the keep the car? Also I have been thinking of letting the motor plan expire then doing a light stage 1 tune with downpipe but not sure if I want to gamble like that. I was also just thinking of just using a plug and play unit such as RaceChip.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks ouks.
mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Re: Reliability of a MK 7.5 92kw Engine with Dry clutch DSG?

Post by mk2-phreak »

You're basically asking how long is a piece of string. It all depends on how well the vehicle has been maintained and driven, since you shouldn't drive a DSG like a regular auto. (dealership maintenance isn't really a sign of how well or how poorly a car has been maintained).

That said, in general, I would avoid a dry clutch DSG. My brother's A3 started developing the jerkiness they're famous for, and a work colleagues A3 had to have a rebuild box because of a failure around 150000km
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Regarding pricing of how much it costs to extend the warranty, you will need to check with you local dealership before it expires to get pricing.
Plenty of shops to assist with Stage 1 file and Downpipe, but be aware that once you start fiddling with the car. Warranty will be void by VW.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

In previous posts related to the long term reliability of the 7 SPD DSG I can't say I agree. Despite their poor reputation I have not as yet had one come to our shop in a failed state, not in any of the vehicles that they can be found in.

My experiences are more related to timing chains and customers failing to get the repairs done before they fail. This type of repair is inevitable in my opinion and it should be planned for like a cambelt replacement and making yourself aware of the symptoms to avoid reaching the failure point.

The job does require tools to set the engine before disassembly to preserve the timing settings, so unless you purchase your own set it's not a DIY job, otherwise it's straightforward.

If you have the later cambelt engine, 2015 on maybe, then this wouldn't affect you other than a warning not to miss the replacement interval. Belt failure is equally as expensive as the timing chain.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+