2008 1.4i polo Trendline, what exhaust system to get

Neeven
Cadet
Registered for: 2 years 6 months

2008 1.4i polo Trendline, what exhaust system to get

Post by Neeven »

Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 1.4i polo Trendline and I want to install a full exhaust system. I am not sure where would be the best place to get this done. Can I get some advice on this and I've also read that installing it in "4-2-1" would be good aswell. Is this true?

And lastly will installing a full exhaust system and branches make my car heavier on petrol?? :cry:

Thank you.
JCTPUBLISHERS
Cadet
Registered for: 3 years 8 months

Re: 2008 1.4i polo Trendline, what exhaust system to get

Post by JCTPUBLISHERS »

Welcome, perhaps include your location.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Neeven wrote:Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 1.4i polo Trendline and I want to install a full exhaust system. I am not sure where would be the best place to get this done. Can I get some advice on this and I've also read that installing it in "4-2-1" would be good aswell. Is this true?

And lastly will installing a full exhaust system and branches make my car heavier on petrol?? :cry:

Thank you.
Heavier on fuel depends on lots of factors Neeven.

1st how heavy is your right foot?

2nd the exhaust should help make a slight improvement if all other factors are static.

Depending on how the exhaust is made and if the fabricator knows what's potting, the motor might pick up a small torque increase in the mid range, this is where the fuel consumption improvement will come from.

Another important thing to mention is the O² sensor placement. Get this one thing wrong and it can make the car perform worse than before. This goes back to getting the right person for the job.

Give us your location so we can give you a recommendation for a good exhaust shop.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

-
Last edited by Neeven on Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

JCTPUBLISHERS wrote:Welcome, perhaps include your location.
Thank you, I'm from Durban

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

missioner wrote:
Neeven wrote:Hello everyone, so I have a 2008 1.4i polo Trendline and I want to install a full exhaust system. I am not sure where would be the best place to get this done. Can I get some advice on this and I've also read that installing it in "4-2-1" would be good aswell. Is this true?

Thank you.
Heavier on fuel depends on lots of factors Neeven.

1st how heavy is your right foot?

2nd the exhaust should help make a slight improvement if all other factors are static.

Depending on how the exhaust is made and if the fabricator knows what's potting, the motor might pick up a small torque increase in the mid range, this is where the fuel consumption improvement will come from.

Another important thing to mention is the O² sensor placement. Get this one thing wrong and it can make the car perform worse than before. This goes back to getting the right person for the job.

Give us your location so we can give you a recommendation for a good exhaust shop.

Sorry about that. I'm from Durban.
I have been keen on installing an exhaust system for some time now but at the moment I feel for a 1.4i polo it's quite heavy on petrol because at the moment I'm doing about 11kms per litre. So that's the reason I'm hesitant on installing the exhaust system even though I want oneImage
I've also done a cat delete recently just to see if there'd be any improvements regarding fuel and power,but I noticed the car got slightly heavier on petrol (with normal driving), so that also had me doubting whether I should install the exhaust system. Perhaps 11kms per litre is normal for a 1.4i polo? Or is there a solution to improve fuel economyImage

missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

With any mods the tuning should be adjusted to compensate for it.

I say get your car made to "Durban stock" and go see the guys at CPI Tuned in Pinetown.

They should be able to improve the efficiency of your engine somewhat.

11km/l isn't bad consumption at all. You would have to drive like a granny to get better than that.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

missioner wrote:With any mods the tuning should be adjusted to compensate for it.

I say get your car made to "Durban stock" and go see the guys at CPI Tuned in Pinetown.

They should be able to improve the efficiency of your engine somewhat.

11km/l isn't bad consumption at all. You would have to drive like a granny to get better than that.

Okay thank you for your advice, I will go see them and see how they can help.

BTW, what do you mean by "Durban stock"? Image

missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Durban stock is what is considered a "Standard" car in KZN. It should at least be slightly lowered and have aftermarket wheels larger than standard size. The car should also have at least muffler delete or a full free flow exhaust system.

Most other engine mods are minimal, but some sort of "performance" induction system is installed. Typically this is simply a cone filter attached to either the OEM intake pipe or something sold at AutoStyle.

The last thing that qualifies a car to be Durban Stock is it must have at least one subwoofer in the car, but more often it's two, inside an enclosure that takes up the whole boot to render it useless for its intended purpose. Extra points are awarded if one manages to install dual 15" speakers. Matching amps are not necessary as long as the subs make noise.

Most of what I have said above is tongue in cheek and meant to be humorous, but to be fair I used to live in Durban for a fair amount of time and many friends of mine had cars that fit the above description to the letter. I am drawing from first hand experience.

Granted there are certainly less cars like this around these days, but for a time if you wanted a weekly car show Blue Lagoon on a Friday night was a good place to go.

Neeven
Cadet

Post by Neeven »

missioner wrote:Durban stock is what is considered a "Standard" car in KZN. It should at least be slightly lowered and have aftermarket wheels larger than standard size. The car should also have at least muffler delete or a full free flow exhaust system.

Most other engine mods are minimal, but some sort of "performance" induction system is installed. Typically this is simply a cone filter attached to either the OEM intake pipe or something sold at AutoStyle.

The last thing that qualifies a car to be Durban Stock is it must have at least one subwoofer in the car, but more often it's two, inside an enclosure that takes up the whole boot to render it useless for its intended purpose. Extra points are awarded if one manages to install dual 15" speakers. Matching amps are not necessary as long as the subs make noise.

Most of what I have said above is tongue in cheek and meant to be humorous, but to be fair I used to live in Durban for a fair amount of time and many friends of mine had cars that fit the above description to the letter. I am drawing from first hand experience.

Granted there are certainly less cars like this around these days, but for a time if you wanted a weekly car show Blue Lagoon on a Friday night was a good place to go.

ImageImageOkay, got it!! I'm headed in that direction and getting it up to standard Imagebut thank you I will go to CPI Tuned and see if I can get more fuel efficiency out of my car

Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Neeven wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 pm
missioner wrote:Durban stock is what is considered a "Standard" car in KZN. It should at least be slightly lowered and have aftermarket wheels larger than standard size. The car should also have at least muffler delete or a full free flow exhaust system.

ImageImageOkay, got it!! I'm headed in that direction and getting it up to standard Imagebut thank you I will go to CPI Tuned and see if I can get more fuel efficiency out of my car

Lmao this was hilarious 😂 exactly what we all still do today even though we longer on the coast ... In my experience of modding a car, fuel consumption and modding should definitely not be discussed in the same topic. The more u mod the faster u drive and the more fuel u use... The thing is that mods don't make the car heavy it's your heavy foot that makes the car heavy... I just put a stack on my vtec and I've been driving the **** out of it. Now that stack does not make the car heavy on fuel its my heavy foot that made it heavy because of the sound when I put the pedal down
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Trishen94 wrote:
Neeven wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:41 pm

Lmao this was hilarious Image exactly what we all still do today even though we longer on the coast ... In my experience of modding a car, fuel consumption and modding should definitely not be discussed in the same topic. The more u mod the faster u drive and the more fuel u use... The thing is that mods don't make the car heavy it's your heavy foot that makes the car heavy... I just put a stack on my vtec and I've been driving the **** out of it. Now that stack does not make the car heavy on fuel its my heavy foot that made it heavy because of the sound when I put the pedal down
So true.

Some days I drag my right foot behind me when I'm not in a driver's seat.