Help in choosing a Golf 7 R

Drift Devil
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Help in choosing a Golf 7 R

Post by Drift Devil »

Hey. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and looking at a Golf 7 R. Thinking of either 2015 or 2016 based on my budget. In particular I'm looking for sunroof, Pretoria rims, keyless. A bonus world be Dynaudio and DCC. What are the key things to look for when inspecting these vehicles? Are there known issues with specific year models like recalls and faulty parts. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Drift Devil
Cadet

Re: Help in choosing a Golf 7 R

Post by Drift Devil »

Guys, are there known issues on the engines for 2014 R models vs later. I know the 2014 gtis had piston issues? I maybe wrong.

Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

Pretoria rims and DCC is a must, Kessy, nice to have. The only issue I'm aware of is the thermostat housing. R12k to fix. Make sure that the car you are looking at has received all oil services per the dates stated in the book. 2016 models manufactured after mid June is with 2017 specs.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
jaredm
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by jaredm »

Having had a car with kessy and moving to a Bmw without that would be a non-negotiable for me. Just keeping the key in your pocket and not having to press buttons etc is a real winner for me.

Make sure the Pretoria wheels are oem, lots of 7Rs running around with reps. DCC is great but I would skip it if you are looking to go coil overs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Golf VII GTi Performance Pack DSG
Mk2 Golf 2.0l 16v Exec

Ex:
2012 Edition 35 Dsg CPI Stg2
Golf 6 .:R DSG CPI Stg2+
Scirocco 2.0TSi DSG K04
Golf 3 VR6 Turbo
Golf V GTi DSG
Mazda 3 MPS
Drift Devil
Cadet

Post by Drift Devil »

Thanks guys. Really struggling to find a R within my budget. Now leaning to a G7 2015 full spec with exended warranty. I'm concerned that even if I find an R, it won't come with warranty. Also don't need a balloon payment.

Drift Devil
Cadet

Post by Drift Devil »

jaredm wrote:Having had a car with kessy and moving to a Bmw without that would be a non-negotiable for me. Just keeping the key in your pocket and not having to press buttons etc is a real winner for me.

Make sure the Pretoria wheels are oem, lots of 7Rs running around with reps. DCC is great but I would skip it if you are looking to go coil overs.

Love this feature. Had it on my G7. What I hate is the start and stop feature

jaredm
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by jaredm »

Drift Devil wrote:
jaredm wrote:Having had a car with kessy and moving to a Bmw without that would be a non-negotiable for me. Just keeping the key in your pocket and not having to press buttons etc is a real winner for me.

Start/stop can be disabled via vagcom

2015 Golf VII GTi Performance Pack DSG
Mk2 Golf 2.0l 16v Exec

Ex:
2012 Edition 35 Dsg CPI Stg2
Golf 6 .:R DSG CPI Stg2+
Scirocco 2.0TSi DSG K04
Golf 3 VR6 Turbo
Golf V GTi DSG
Mazda 3 MPS
Drift Devil
Cadet

Post by Drift Devil »

jaredm wrote:
Drift Devil wrote:

Yes I'm aware. Thanks. Unfortunately my previous mechanic/tuner said he can't get it right...lol

JasonGTi300
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by JasonGTi300 »

Drift Devil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 pm Thanks guys. Really struggling to find a R within my budget. Now leaning to a G7 2015 full spec with exended warranty. I'm concerned that even if I find an R, it won't come with warranty. Also don't need a balloon payment.

Was in the same boat as you. Considered an R but with my budget the mileage was a bit out and no warranty. Ended up finding a 2015 g7 performance pack with 47k on the clock for 345k still under full Vw plan. Just extended the plan now till 2023 with vw. The g7 is a great car :hurray:
Drift Devil
Cadet

Post by Drift Devil »

JasonGTi300 wrote:
Drift Devil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:46 pm Thanks guys. Really struggling to find a R within my budget. Now leaning to a G7 2015 full spec with exended warranty. I'm concerned that even if I find an R, it won't come with warranty. Also don't need a balloon payment.

Was in the same boat as you. Considered an R but with my budget the mileage was a bit out and no warranty. Ended up finding a 2015 g7 performance pack with 47k on the clock for 345k still under full Vw plan. Just extended the plan now till 2023 with vw. The g7 is a great car :hurray:
Nice deal. Saw one with 74k on the clock going for 350k. Very neat. Has warranty till next year June which is comforting.

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Drift Devil wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:05 pm
jaredm wrote:
Drift Devil wrote:

Yes I'm aware. Thanks. Unfortunately my previous mechanic/tuner said he can't get it right...lol

Not that I have personally done it but @Senna did it on my ex 2015 Golf R after watching a YouTube video and @JaredS did it on my current 2014 Touareg also after watching a YouTube video so it is not difficult at all.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's