S3 8v stalls after hitting rev limiter

HumbleS38v
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 9 months

S3 8v stalls after hitting rev limiter

Post by HumbleS38v »

Hi All,

Respected users and members, i need some help or advice regarding my vehicle. Its a 2015 Audi s3 8v dsg, recently purchased the Hpa Motorsport Hpa500 kit. 500hp turbo, intercooler, hpfp, cold air intake and downpipe. Also has Coolboost WMI.

Car runs amazing through the rev range but once it hits limiter it just goes flat, once you release the throttle peddle and engage again it picks up power and changes gear. It does this on every gear from the 1st gear. Tried on sport, tried on manual mode, traction on sport, traction off. Same thing.

Tried upgrading the lpfp internals and purchased the cts lpfp kit, fitted and tried that also and still the same thing.

Even tried disabling the "starting vibration reduction" setting on obdeleven thinking traction was intervening.

Any help will be highly appreciated and thank you for your time in advance
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: S3 8v stalls after hitting rev limiter

Post by Jetta2 »

Just a suggestion, but maybe stop hitting the limiter then.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
HumbleS38v
Enlisted

Post by HumbleS38v »

Thank you for your response.

Honestly i try not to, but its so difficult to catch 1 and 2 on the right spot as it goes so quick, always either earlier or later and if its later it stalls
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Post by AvesshenG »

Had a similar Issue on my previous build although it wasn’t an Audi. But turned out to be once I hit the limiter the ECU would cut spark /fuel and you would feel the car go dead ish then you change up and boom on the power again so that was just me reaching the limiter . My G7 kinda also doesn’t make any power in the res line so I slap it in manual and when I launch I feather the throttle on launch till it kinda gets traction and then shift up before red line

Any ways I learnt to adapt to the limiter cut and it turned out better cause my car didn’t make any more power in the up high rev range
HumbleS38v
Enlisted

Post by HumbleS38v »

Thank you for your reply. Yep doing the exact same thing now, changing before it goes to redline. Just the first gear is the tricky part, i noticed that the gear stick manual shift is more responsive than the steering wheel paddle shifts, so i use the gear lever to shift up. Catch it most of the time but miss it also
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Hi buddy just a small suggestion. Maybe take it back to the tuner /mechanic. That doesn't sound right at all. If they fail maybe try a different person. Where u located maybe the guys can suggest some1 that can have a look at it. Maybe load the stock file and see if the issue is still there then u can look at the mechanical side. But if it pulls good through the Rev range with no issues it's most probably something on the file that needs to be looked at just my 2c comments. Hope it gets fixed. All the best
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Sounds like a tuning error.

Who did the gearbox and ECU tuning after the turbo upgrade?
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
HumbleS38v
Enlisted

Post by HumbleS38v »

@Trishen94 - Thank you for your message, really appreciate it. I have done that. Flashed it back to stock and did the same thing. After i emailed hpa motorsport they said that it could be the controller by the low pressure fuel pump is getting hot at high boost and cutting fuel. Because their tcu tune is meant for the car to rev right to 7000rpm, but right not it gets to 6200 just before red and stalls. I have an upgraded high pressure fuel pump and we upgraded the internals on the low pressure fuel pump with the CTS kit, all tested and works fine. So i ordered a PM4 controllers from Torqbyte overseas, will install that and see it it helps. Im based in durban.

@amstel18 - The Ecu and Tcu tune are both from Hpa Motorsport, i got the DQ250 tcu tune as mine is the 6speed dsg box model.

Again guys i appreciate the time taken to message and advise me. Thank you
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

HumbleS38v wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:32 pm @Trishen94 - Thank you for your message, really appreciate it. I have done that. Flashed it back to stock and did the same thing. After i emailed hpa motorsport they said that it could be the controller by the low pressure fuel pump is getting hot at high boost and cutting fuel. Because their tcu tune is meant for the car to rev right to 7000rpm, but right not it gets to 6200 just before red and stalls. I have an upgraded high pressure fuel pump and we upgraded the internals on the low pressure fuel pump with the CTS kit, all tested and works fine. So i ordered a PM4 controllers from Torqbyte overseas, will install that and see it it helps. Im based in durban.

@amstel18 - The Ecu and Tcu tune are both from Hpa Motorsport, i got the DQ250 tcu tune as mine is the 6speed dsg box model.

Again guys i appreciate the time taken to message and advise me. Thank you
OK cool look I'm not saying that the tuner is wrong about the pump and controller. But I'm getting a bit lost. The thing is the car is at peak boost at about 4500rpm - 5500rpm and thats when it requires the most fuel/fuel pressure. So if it is fueling it will most probably be evident at those rpm. At 6200rpm ur hpfp should be pumping high enough and with reduced boost pressure fueling on the lpfp should be sufficient. If u do have vcds(if u don't maybe ask some1 who has 1 to) plz log your LPFP(actual and requested) , HPFP(actual and requested) , BOOST PRESSURE(actual and requested) and RPM post the logs so we can see what's going on and if it is fuel pump related. Could be the tcu tune also as mentioned by @amstel18

HumbleS38v
Enlisted

Post by HumbleS38v »

@trishen94 - what you said makes so so much sense! I mean if thats peak boost and it works fine then it should not be that. I will definitely borrow vcds from a friend and log those values and get back to you for inspection.

I think the only reason they mentioned the controller is because after i loaded the tune it worked fine, it went into redline and did like this whiplash and springs into the next gear. Felt amazing on sport, but that was for max 3 runs then it does this everytime.

Even when i go stock and then load the files again, today it worked fine for 2 runs and then goes back to doing that.

Your explanation sounds way better and i think i just spent 16k on that controller for nothing lol
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

HumbleS38v wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 pm @trishen94 - what you said makes so so much sense! I mean if thats peak boost and it works fine then it should not be that. I will definitely borrow vcds from a friend and log those values and get back to you for inspection.

I think the only reason they mentioned the controller is because after i loaded the tune it worked fine, it went into redline and did like this whiplash and springs into the next gear. Felt amazing on sport, but that was for max 3 runs then it does this everytime.

Even when i go stock and then load the files again, today it worked fine for 2 runs and then goes back to doing that.

Your explanation sounds way better and i think i just spent 16k on that controller for nothing lol
LOL no worries buddy. Post the logs and I'm sure other members will also advise once they see the logs. I'm not a professional but have learnt alot over the passed few years of playing with these cars 🤣. This is the downfall of modding and it does get expensive. I've had 1st hand experience on a few cars of mine. Your issue does sound very minor and once sorted u will be very happy. I also suggest Do some research on THANAS automotive tuning There should be a link to them somewhere on this website I'm not sure if they have a durban branch but the team would also be able to assist you provided there's a branch in ur area. I might be wrong but I did see a post on Facebook they are currently working on an s3 in cape Town and they very knowledgeable on these cars im 100% sure they can sort it out for u 👍

Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

So looks like they do have a durban branch this is contact details I found on their website contact them and I'm sure your troubles will be over ImageImage

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

HumbleS38v
Enlisted

Post by HumbleS38v »

Thank you so much for going out of your way and taking the time to assist me, i really do appreciate it. Will definitely pop in at their durban officer and have them look at it. Also i know you being modest but trust me the information i received from you makes more sense than so many others ive asked
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

All cool 😎 buddy. Just happy I could help out. Keep us posted on progress and when u sort it out

ASHES_S3
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 months

Post by ASHES_S3 »

Hey man, I have been chasing this exact same issue for over a year lol. Did you ever get it sorted? Ive thrown a bunch of parts on mine and done a lot of the same things youve done as well in attempts to solve the issue. Any insight would be great. Thanks!
dj_mikey_b
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 months

Post by dj_mikey_b »

I am currently having a similar problem, any luck yet? My tuner is looking into it with me so I'll post anything I find out. But for me, I had a tune with automatic upshift disabled, i.e. it will hit the rev limiter and not shift up for you in manual mode. I hit the paddle too late during a hard launch, and when i hit limiter the car shut off and would start up again, but only for just a second to find idle then shut off again. After waiting like 20 min, it will start back up again fine. It has happened other times where i was in automatic mode too though, so my tuner is leaning toward a fueling issue somwhere, potentially fuel pump control module.