Golf 5 GTI Major Service/Overhaul Costs & location

SypherD
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 11 months

Golf 5 GTI Major Service/Overhaul Costs & location

Post by SypherD »

Hey all

I just bought a 2008 Golf 5 GTI with 172000kms . I want to send it in for either a major service or overhaul . The car is great mechanically however , it doesnt have a full service history . I need to know a few things .

1: What are the average Major service costs
2: What are the average costs to overhaul the engine
3: Best locations to get this done in JHB South

Any advise on this would be highly appreciated
Current Ride :2008 G5 GTI :cool: Founder of #BoomSquadZA
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Golf 5 GTI Major Service/Overhaul Costs & location

Post by Unobeat »

I think a major service(Which includes brake fluid and Coolant flush) on the car would be a good start, then a proper check of brakes, suspension plus belts. Not sure if the car is manual or DSG which would needs the fluid replaced too.

Contact Vag Cafe or even Panic Mechanic shop to assist.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
SypherD
Enlisted

Post by SypherD »

Thanks alot for the links man :) ! Its a manual , not the DSG . I will definitely be taking it in for a Major service soon . I also have a few electrical problems that i want to fix . Vag Cafe has some juicy goodies for the car tho , i might just go broke for a few months LOL
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Post by dcmk4 »

Whilst it's not in the south, a place you can reach out to is JSWORX in Randburg. https://jsworx.co.za/
His work quality speaks for itself and I am sure will get you sorted out without any nonsense.

For interest sake, are you wanting to forge the motor or just refresh it? Any reason behind wanting to overhaul the motor?
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
SypherD
Enlisted

Post by SypherD »

@dcmk4 - I want to refresh it . Its done 175000kms . I bought it about 2 days ago . I just want to have a fresh start with it so i know things like , the cam follower , belts , filters and fluids are fresh . There is Electrical issues that i need to take care of but if i know that its mechanically sound , then ill rule that off my list
cli 16v
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Mazda
Car Model: CX5
Membership No: missing

Post by cli 16v »

I would consider the ffg.
Oil and Filter service
Air filter
Pollen filter
Fuel filter
Replace cam follower
Cambelt, alternator belt, water pump if not done within last 5 years.
Brake fluid flush
Coolant flush
Gearbox oil flush
Check all suspension and drive parts
Carbon clean

If the engine is fine, not smoking, using oil.... Then leave it alone, do not fix what is not broken.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Ex:
13' Audi A4 B8.5 1.8T SE - OEM+
'15 MKVII GTi
'07 MKV GTi OEM+
'89 MKII Golf CSL OEM
'97 MKIII GTi Exec
'92 MKII Jetta CLi 2.0 16v Exec
SypherD
Enlisted

Post by SypherD »

@ cli 16v Thanks for the info man. The engine is operates fine. No smoking, starts first time , i have a very slight jolt when its idling ( im suspecting it needs a good carbon/injector clean ) i see the vacume type pipes located on the right of the engine under end of the intake end, need replacing , they're cracked and wont last long . The cam follower will be done this weekend along with those.