flash23
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta Cli

1.8T modding advise

Post by flash23 »

howsit guys

i have a 1999 audi a3 1.8T AGU spec Motor currently on 382000KMs.

ive got some money coming in the next few months and was wondering what i could do power wise. i want the car to remain reliable and not be hard to drive as it will be my daily, also no terrible on fuel. the car is currently completely stock apart from a backyard decat job done by the previous owner. Cambelt, water pump and tensioner were changed at 376000Kms just after i bought the car. car does not smoke and is healthy apart from oil relocating to intercooler occasionally(assuming turbo seals or PCV). ideally i would want around 150kw at the wheels so what sort of budget would be needed to achieve this reliably? should i stick to the stock KO3 or look at KO3s or KO4? any reputable Shops in Durbs who could do the upgrades for me?
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: 1.8T modding advise

Post by Jetta2 »

That motor is rated at 110kW (around 95kW ATW).
Software alone can take that to about 140kW (130ish ATW), but the turbo will work hard to get there.

If you are looking at getting 150kW ATW, then K04 and software/custom tune at the very least.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
JogiahMk4
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 4 months
Car Model: Mk4 GTi (110kw)

Post by JogiahMk4 »

flash23 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:12 pm howsit guys

ive got some money coming in the next few months and was wondering what i could do power wise. i want the car to remain reliable and not be hard to drive as it will be my daily, also no terrible on fuel. the car is currently completely stock apart from a backyard decat job done by the previous owner. Cambelt, water pump and tensioner were changed at 376000Kms just after i bought the car. car does not smoke and is healthy apart from oil relocating to intercooler occasionally(assuming turbo seals or PCV). ideally i would want around 150kw at the wheels so what sort of budget would be needed to achieve this reliably? should i stick to the stock KO3 or look at KO3s or KO4? any reputable Shops in Durbs who could do the upgrades for me?
I've heard that electoboost in durban is one of the best places to tune these 1.8Ts, maybe give give a call? I'm planning on taking mines there once my agu is built
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Speak to Thanas automotive tuning, his very good with the 1.8t 20v platform, and can advise u as per your requests and budget
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Asif_20vT
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 1 month

Post by Asif_20vT »

Thanas tuning is good with the 1.8T.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Am I the only one scared of modding a motor with nearly 400k on the clock?
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

amstel18 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:28 pm Am I the only one scared of modding a motor with nearly 400k on the clock?
I wouldn't... Maybe would rather do a forged rebuild with the same money and mod at later stage once I save up again, if it was me, just my 2c
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
flash23
Cadet

Post by flash23 »

Trishen94 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:03 pm
amstel18 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:28 pm Am I the only one scared of modding a motor with nearly 400k on the clock?
I wouldn't... Maybe would rather do a forged rebuild with the same money and mod at later stage once I save up again, if it was me, just my 2c
what would a forged rebuild cost roughly? the reason i mentioned mileage was to get these sort of questions coz mileage will play a big part of what mods i can safely do
P1LAYA-ZN
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi, VW and Toyota
Car Model: S3 8L 20VT & Mk 1 Jetta GLi

Post by P1LAYA-ZN »

Rebuild the motor.
At that mileage, everything will break once you do S/w, providing you find someone who can tune a AGU. Remember the car is over 20 years old
Then it will be a double job.
Rather collect all the stuff you need, then send it for the rebuild, it wont be cheap.'
#Builtnotbought
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Motor build with forged internals would easily hit R50k without additional mods on the list.

Add turbo, exhaust, fuel system, brakes, drivetrain and some electronics to support the motor and the final amount could reach a R100 000-00 when it's all totalled up. That's why any body who uses the words cheap and mods in the same sentence is either mad or a lier.

If it was me with the car in question, I would start with some maintenance and some minor mods like EGR delete, exhaust, etc. Maybe look into a turbo upgrade like a K03s/4 and keep it close to stock tune and see how the motor takes it. Later when more funds and a spare engine are available, try turning it up a little at a time.

Since it's a daily, I would rather spend my money on keeping it as reliable as possible, instead of looking for moar powah. Rebuild the driveshafts, replace the clutch, new fluids, better brakes and brake lines, that type of stuff. Make the car safer and more dependable.

Go see Rob at Dubcorp. He's near the UKZN Westville campus. He's a good tech and his prices are reasonable.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Jrmunger199
Cadet
Registered for: 4 years 4 months

Post by Jrmunger199 »

flash23 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:12 pm howsit guys

I've got some money coming in the next few months and was wondering what i could do power wise. i want the car to remain reliable and not be hard to drive as it will be my daily, also no terrible on fuel. the car is currently completely stock apart from a backyard decat job done by the previous owner. Cambelt, water pump and tensioner were changed at 376000Kms just after i bought the car. car does not smoke and is healthy apart from oil relocating to intercooler occasionally(assuming turbo seals or PCV). ideally i would want around 150kw at the wheels so what sort of budget would be needed to achieve this reliably? should i stick to the stock KO3 or look at KO3s or KO4? any reputable Shops in Durbs who could do the upgrades for me?
Just did my AGU, did a hybrid turbo as I blew my original ko3, so I went Ko3s with ko4 internals, so still a straight bolt on. Decent turbo and runs nicely at about 1 bar. There's a shop called Forge turbo that sell them, I got the stage 2 hybrid, which is the one that comes with a billet compressor wheel, stage 1 hybrid is the same but just has a cast wheel.

I'm running 130wkw and 290nm with everything still stock, stock intercooler, stock injectors and stock airbox, only thing I do have is a full 76mm turbo back exhaust which works nicely on this hybrid setup, and a tune to match done by FRC, if you ever want to push it further than that, you can do Front mount intercooler, injectors and uprated fuel pump, and you can get a lot more from the turbo as the stock cooler, injectors and fuel pump are the things holding you back on the AGU.
flash23
Cadet

Post by flash23 »

missioner wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:48 am Motor build with forged internals would easily hit R50k without additional mods on the list.

Add turbo, exhaust, fuel system, brakes, drivetrain and some electronics to support the motor and the final amount could reach a R100 000-00 when it's all totalled up. That's why any body who uses the words cheap and mods in the same sentence is either mad or a lier.

If it was me with the car in question, I would start with some maintenance and some minor mods like EGR delete, exhaust, etc. Maybe look into a turbo upgrade like a K03s/4 and keep it close to stock tune and see how the motor takes it. Later when more funds and a spare engine are available, try turning it up a little at a time.

Since it's a daily, I would rather spend my money on keeping it as reliable as possible, instead of looking for moar powah. Rebuild the driveshafts, replace the clutch, new fluids, better brakes and brake lines, that type of stuff. Make the car safer and more dependable.

Go see Rob at Dubcorp. He's near the UKZN Westville campus. He's a good tech and his prices are reasonable.
i can this rabbit hole forming in front of me lol

i have been doing maintenance and regular services, the car is running well and maybe 150Wkw is a bit ambitious. i absolutely agree with you on spending money making the car reliable but i also dont want to mess with things without getting knowledge first hence the post. i apreciate the wisdom you guys provide

i honestly am not looking at mad power so i think even 120wkw should be good. i dont drive the car hard alot as economy is important also but i also want the car to be a bit more fun on the freeway. i think the turbo and exhaust is a good place to start so il start looking at that. is the EGR delete a DIY job? what would i need?
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

flash23 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:29 am
missioner wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:48 am Motor build with forged internals would easily hit R50k without additional mods on the list.

i can this rabbit hole forming in front of me lol

i have been doing maintenance and regular services, the car is running well and maybe 150Wkw is a bit ambitious. i absolutely agree with you on spending money making the car reliable but i also dont want to mess with things without getting knowledge first hence the post. i apreciate the wisdom you guys provide

i honestly am not looking at mad power so i think even 120wkw should be good. i dont drive the car hard alot as economy is important also but i also want the car to be a bit more fun on the freeway. i think the turbo and exhaust is a good place to start so il start looking at that. is the EGR delete a DIY job? what would i need?
As @Trishen said, speak to Thanas.
He will advise better and give you plenty of information.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.