2014 Golf 7 GTi - Leaking Anti-freeze but where?

JayGtiVII
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 GTi VII

2014 Golf 7 GTi - Leaking Anti-freeze but where?

Post by JayGtiVII »

Hello fellow petrol/diesel heads

A prosperous 2020 for everyone.

I have had my Golf GTi for the passed year and it has been a very enjoyable drive up until my check coolant light came on in January 2019. It has been an uphill battle ever since.

I've had it in the shop about 3 times before they replaced the cracked water pump and thermostat housing. This seemed to solve the problem for about a week or so when it ran dry again. I topped up the bottle and kept my eye on it everyday since. It would lose about a centimeter or more every 2 days and I'll need to top up again (I check every morning before starting the car).

I later found that not using the start/stop function the water tends to hold better for longer, however if I put some pedal to the metal it does "use" a little more. I never let the water run empty as I always have water with me in the car and check before every journey

My question to you is;

Should I replace the water bottle the antifreeze is being housed in and see if that makes a difference? It's a cheap replacement (considering the thermostat housing and water pump aet me back R12k) and could possibly fix the issue?

I was looking for similar posts about this but only found something regarding the EGR that could be the cause, but I'm not sure if the EGR is only found in diesel engines as the previous owner did do a diffuser delete and put bigger tailpipes on, so it could be that the exhaust is the culprit? Eventhough everything else from diffuser upward to the Cat has been left stock

Thanks a mil and apologies if this has already been posted on a GTI DSG forum
Greenz
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Focus ST

Re: 2014 Golf 7 GTi - Leaking Anti-freeze but where?

Post by Greenz »

Take it back to the workshop who did the repairs...it continued to lose coolant after they "fixed" it so obviously they didn't get to the source of the problem.
2010 ST225 - 238kw 439nm
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Sounds like it's still leaking under pressure and evaporating from the heat. No link to start/stop and definitely no link to the exhaust.

Where are you based?

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

Greenz wrote:Take it back to the workshop who did the repairs...it continued to lose coolant after they "fixed" it so obviously they didn't get to the source of the problem.
Thank you for your response. I am taking it back to them when they are open

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

THANAS wrote:Sounds like it's still leaking under pressure and evaporating from the heat. No link to start/stop and definitely no link to the exhaust.

Where are you based?

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. They fitted a high pressure hose prior to replacing the thermo housing and water pump if that means anything. Your observation regarding the evaporation is spot on as there are no visible leaks on any of the engine components nor are there any spots on the cardboard I have placed under the car.

I'm based in Centurion, Pretoria.

I'll be taking it back to the guys next week when they're open again but just thought someone might have had a similar issue and a water bottle replacement might have been a good idea

AJ GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by AJ GTI »

Hi Jay, let me know how it goes. Having similar issues with 2014 G7 GTI, replaced the thermostat and water pump. It lasted a month and then my coolant ran down again. I was told the water pipe has a leak so I replaced that as well. It lasted 3 months. The coolant ran down again this week. I took it to another mechanic, he bled the water out and told me there was an airlock. This lasted a week, this morning the coolant ran down again. After spending thousands of rands , not really solving this problem. In seek of guidance. This all started as I got to the 100k km mileage point. Thanks
NHB_R
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NHB_R »

AJ GTI wrote:Hi Jay, let me know how it goes. Having similar issues with 2014 G7 GTI, replaced the thermostat and water pump. It lasted a month and then my coolant ran down again. I was told the water pipe has a leak so I replaced that as well. It lasted 3 months. The coolant ran down again this week. I took it to another mechanic, he bled the water out and told me there was an airlock. This lasted a week, this morning the coolant ran down again. After spending thousands of rands , not really solving this problem. In seek of guidance. This all started as I got to the 100k km mileage point. Thanks
Have you checked radiator? Or if gasket is poof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

What coolant is in the car? The oem g coolants leave a residue that glows under blacklight which will help to find the leak.
2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

JayGtiVII wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:46 am
THANAS wrote:Sounds like it's still leaking under pressure and evaporating from the heat. No link to start/stop and definitely no link to the exhaust.

Where are you based?

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. They fitted a high pressure hose prior to replacing the thermo housing and water pump if that means anything. Your observation regarding the evaporation is spot on as there are no visible leaks on any of the engine components nor are there any spots on the cardboard I have placed under the car.

I'm based in Centurion, Pretoria.

I'll be taking it back to the guys next week when they're open again but just thought someone might have had a similar issue and a water bottle replacement might have been a good idea

if you do need a water bottle replacement I have a brand new one for sale. Bought it to have mine replaced but sold the car before I can have it fitted.
Current:
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

Hey AJ

Thanks for your insights and all my empathy for you and your GTi. It's the exact thing with me. I'm now at a stage where I need to check it every morning before I drive as it loses about 5 to 10ml a day and I only drive about 50km a day. It's truly worrisome as these are not cheap cars to fix and having them strip constantly to get to the "problem" is not good as these guys don't really take care to ensure every nut and bolt is back in its place. I'm taking it back to the guys the end of the month and will definitely keep you posted

Regards,

Jay

JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

Thank you very much. I will let you know

JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

Hey Killerwatt

Been just using normal water as of late because I cant afford all the anti freeze this car is just gobbling in. They have checked the radiator and do pressure tests everytime I bring her round. I'm really hoping it's not the head gasket. But I also don't see any water in my oil nor is the car smoking.

I'll update the thread once I've got the car back from the shop

Regards,

Jay

GB9
Major
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V S3 Sedan

Post by GB9 »

JayGtiVII wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:47 pm Hey Killerwatt

Been just using normal water as of late because I cant afford all the anti freeze this car is just gobbling in. They have checked the radiator and do pressure tests everytime I bring her round. I'm really hoping it's not the head gasket. But I also don't see any water in my oil nor is the car smoking.

I'll update the thread once I've got the car back from the shop

Regards,

Jay

These symptoms sound similar to the issue that I had on my Sportline TDi. It turned out that there was a crack in the head on the exhaust side, which was not easy to see (Morne was the person that eventually spotted it, because he' awesome).
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi : RNS-510 Nav | Xenons | Adaptive Chassis Control
2005 VW Polo TDi (96kw) F/L
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
1996 Citi Deco (Jazz Blue)
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Had the coolant issue towards the end of the year and the waterpump was replaced by VW. Haven't had any issues since

Total cost was around R18k but fortunately I do have warranty

It's a pity cause this is a common issue on Mk7

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Just check all your coolant hoses whilst the car is running, maybe just a slight hole in one of them so it is spewing out whilst driving.
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Rommies
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V1 RS3

Post by Rommies »

Hey bud. The MQB platform has huge problem with the thermostat / waterpump. There has been several thermostat housing and water pump revisions.

I recently replaced mine on my Clubsport GTi. Dealers were asking around 12k just for the parts. I managed to import the parts myself for almost half the price.

The newest thermostat housing part number is 06L 121 111 M.

If you live close by you are more than welcome to pull in and I cloud have a look for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2016 Audi 8V1 RS3

Click: My Youtube Channel
Click: My Build Thread
Rassy
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Rassy »

I have a microbus 2.5 old shape and I have recently replaced the water sensor switch on the bottle at the engine. After replacing it ,it worked very well however the following day when I drive the kombi the sensor light after few seconds it flashed.
Kindly assist on what to do thank you.
JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

UPDATE 2: 17 FEBRUARY 2020.

Hello all

I thought I would update everyone on the latest happenings as everyone's input has really helped a lot and taught me so much too, so thank you to everyone who I hope I've included in this update.

An update to the anti freeze situation. I couldn't afford buying all the anti freeze this car was gobbling up so I had to resort to topping up with normal water (I really hope I haven't f*ced anything up by doing so).

It's been a daily ritual opening the bonnet in the morning. Checking if there's enough water in to last the day. Usually as, mentioned before, it would only drop ever so slightly, but about two weeks ago I started noticing it drop below the min line. There I go overthinking this again. Whatever must go needs to go and it's only a matter of time. I'm just hoping whatever it is, it won't be expensive!

Saturday morning comes, I open the bonnet, as we do, and I already have a bottle in my hand to top it up with as I carry two with me wherever I go. So I open up the cap pour in the water and out it comes at the bottom of the bottle. The bottle cracked.

I booked it in for today and they luckily had a bottle in stock. Came at a reasonable price of R800. In total incl. labour came to about R1000 with 2x bottles of antifreeze. I'm happy as always with the service I receive from the family business I use in Centurion. But this is becoming a bit too costly.

So after doing multiple pressure tests. Replacing a thermostat and water pump, the actual water bottle decides to crack too. I must say I do feel like I'm replacing this car's entire cooling system but at this point I think I've pretty much done the majority.

I had high hopes for this car. My first GTI. But now I'm putting more of my tuning money into repairs which frankly is a little demotivating at times. But I know when I get in her tomorrow morning (probably stick to that bonnet opening ritual just a tad longer to ensure things are going as they should) I will feel utter bliss again from the outside world in my rocket bunny with it's beautiful exhaust thrap and how I hear the people screaming Vrr Pha!!

I will be sure to keep everyone up to speed in a few months. If all goes well it should be in 6 months when I start prepping this beast for some aftermarket power and hopefully stage 1 before the end of the year

Until then thanks again to everyone who gave their input, I am truly grateful

Jay

JayGtiVII
Enlisted

Post by JayGtiVII »

Very sad indeed. I have updated the thread if you would like to take a look? I've had the water pump, thermostat housing as well as the water bottle replaced now today. And I'm sitting pretty at 93,000km for a 2014 model. I'm really hoping this holds otherwise I don't think I'll have any choice but to sell. An absolute shame to be honest. I see a bloke cruising in his 2004 GTi and its held together with hopes and dreams and I think to myself, at least it's still going after 15 years. I doubt I'll be able to say the same about this model I have at the moment. Best advise I can give it to sell once your warranty is finished unless you plan on only using it on weekends

Joseph87
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years

Post by Joseph87 »

I have a similar problem with my Gti recently. Been to VW and they ran all the tests (water pump and leak tests) and everything was ok but have not replaced the water bottle.

Just wanted to check if your situation changed after you replaced the water bottle
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

Joseph87 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:48 am I have a similar problem with my Gti recently. Been to VW and they ran all the tests (water pump and leak tests) and everything was ok but have not replaced the water bottle.

Just wanted to check if your situation changed after you replaced the water bottle
Do you guys have a PCV system in your cars? I had same issue recently with my Audi, replaced the PCV housing and problem solved.
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

DotDubb wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:40 am
Joseph87 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:48 am I have a similar problem with my Gti recently. Been to VW and they ran all the tests (water pump and leak tests) and everything was ok but have not replaced the water bottle.

Do you guys have a PCV system in your cars? I had same issue recently with my Audi, replaced the PCV housing and problem solved.
The PCV on your Audi is a ridiculous design though, with water channels running through the PCV. The PCV on the Mk5/6/7 Gti is completely separate from the cooling system (fortunately).
DotDubb
Can I buy your wheels?
Registered for: 15 years
Car Make: Audi A6 3.0T
Car Model: DKW, Cabrio, A6 avant,Mk2
Membership No: 1593

Post by DotDubb »

THANAS wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:36 pm
DotDubb wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:40 am

The PCV on your Audi is a ridiculous design though, with water channels running through the PCV. The PCV on the Mk5/6/7 Gti is completely separate from the cooling system (fortunately).
Thanks again for your help, plus Jared at JSWorx, for sorting my audi though. :hi:
Current:
2012 Audi A6 3.0T TFSI Supercharged Quattro
2005 Audi A6 3.0tdi Avant Quattro
1999 Golf Cabrio Mk3.5 1.8 20V Turbo
1991 Golf Mk2 1.8 20vT
1960 Autounion DKW 1000s
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

2022 check-in.

@JayGtiVII - did the new water bottle end up doing the trick for you? Or did your issues return at some not too distant point?
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD