MK4 GTi Cooling System Corrosion Issues.. Help!!

tendyfish
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK4 GTi

MK4 GTi Cooling System Corrosion Issues.. Help!!

Post by tendyfish »

Hello. My 2002 1.8T AUM is having issues with rust in the cooling system. Bought it two years ago, seemed like it had been sitting for a while, with rust deposits in the coolant bottle. I had the system flushed of the old coolant and replaced. Two years down the line, i'm getting the same deposits in the coolant bottle, this time the quantities are higher, recently it started leaking from a metal coolant supply pipe 06A 121 065 AK which had suffered severely corrosion. The pipe was replaced and some flushing was done with water, but still seeing rust deposits. Need help with identifying the source of this rust and thoroughly clean the system before putting some brand new coolant. Was also wondering if products like Shield radiator Flush are any good to try. Thanks
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Re: MK4 GTi Cooling System Corrosion Issues.. Help!!

Post by Howie-WP »

What coolant was used when refilling after the flush?
PoloB
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Model: POLO 6S

Post by PoloB »

Are you using regular tap water or distilled water with coolant?

Distilled water is meant to address the rust issue and therefore a requirement by all manufacturers when dealing with coolant systems
Vw Polo 6 Sedan
Quantum Tunning Software
Eibach Springs
Smoked Tail lights
17 Inch A-Line Spree wheels
tendyfish
Enlisted

Post by tendyfish »

Howie-WP wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:09 pm What coolant was used when refilling after the flush?
Thank you for quick replies, I used one called Eurol Antifreeze GLX G12+ from Goldwagen mixed with water from those Reverse-Osmosis tanks, they claim its pure water with no minerals nor salts.
tendyfish
Enlisted

Post by tendyfish »

PoloB wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:16 pm Are you using regular tap water or distilled water with coolant?

Distilled water is meant to address the rust issue and therefore a requirement by all manufacturers when dealing with coolant systems
Right now i've used Tap water temporarily while i try to clean out the system, will then use distilled when i'm certain all the dirt is out
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

PoloB wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:16 pm Are you using regular tap water or distilled water with coolant?

:iagree: some places the tap water is far from great, and i've seen some places use borehole water. Also, no matter what water you use, if you run plain water for any period of time the inside of the motor will continue to rust, coolant not only stops freezing but also has rust inhibitors and a bunch of other good things.

Easiest option would be a premix 50% coolant, and fill with just that, dont let the workshop dilute it at all. Also use a proper flush not one of the cheapies like Shield, i think LiquiMoly has one. Best would be to flush 2 or 3 times with that, obviously with heater open and thermostat out, and then a flush with distilled water, then fill with the premix coolant.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by VAG Fan »

Reverse osmosis water should be more than good enough.

In my experience and humble opinion, the addition of sufficient coolant (which contains antifreeze, raises the boiling point, lubricates the pump and inhibits rust) is more important than the exact quality of the water. I've used tap water with 30-50% coolant in 5 cars for 30 years now and have not picked up rust problems.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
tendyfish
Enlisted

Post by tendyfish »

Thank you very much guys for all your contributions. I had overlooked the thermostat, so i took it out and ran some STP Radiator Flush a couple of times during the course of the past week , i then ran the flush with tap water until there were no deposits in the coolant bottle and finally drained everything, put back the thermostat and filled her up with some G12 coolant, 50/50 dilution with Reverse osmosis water. Will be monitor the situation hopefully i got everything out. Again, thank you for the tips, they were indeed useful and much appreciated.

PS:**coudnt find Liquimolly flush anywhere near me**
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

Did you drain the block when you flush the cooling system?
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
tendyfish
Enlisted

Post by tendyfish »

Rascal69 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 am Did you drain the block when you flush the cooling system?
Not 100% sure how that's done but there was little to no water on the thermostat housing flange when i took it out.
Rascal69
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: 1490

Post by Rascal69 »

There's usually a bolt on the engine block somewhere that you open and the coolant running inside the block will drain out of there... I replaced the thermostat and cooling system on a customers Z4 last week... even after draining and removing the coolant tank, pipes, thermostat.ect , i still had to drain about 1.5-2 litres of water from the engine block before i could fill up with coolant/distilled water mix.
Current: 2007 ///M Coupe
Current: 2019 Fortuner 4x4

Ex: 2005 E55 AMG
Ex: 1998 BMW M3
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Focus ST - 208wkw & 465nm's (FRnR)
Ex: 1994 E36 328i Track Car (Budler Motorsport built)
Ex: 2011 REVO 2 Mk6 GTI DSG - 200wkw & 452nm's (KAR)
Ex: 2007 REVO 2+ S3 - 12.7s @ 176km/h (Tarlton 2010) and 224km's on 1km (ODI)
Ex: 2006 Velo 1.6i | 2008 Velo 1.6i | 2005 Velo 1.4i | 2006 Polo 1.6i | 2012 Polo TDI | 2004 W203 C200K
tendyfish
Enlisted

Post by tendyfish »

Rascal69 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:52 am There's usually a bolt on the engine block somewhere that you open and the coolant running inside the block will drain out of there... I replaced the thermostat and cooling system on a customers Z4 last week... even after draining and removing the coolant tank, pipes, thermostat.ect , i still had to drain about 1.5-2 litres of water from the engine block before i could fill up with coolant/distilled water mix.
The Haynes must be referencing the older, 058 block 1.8Ts (AEB and ATW) with the external water pump.

On the 06A, I think you just pull the t-stat housing and t-stat to drain the block. It's what I did on my AWP (transverse)

**Got this from one of the VW forums**

Relief!!!! :smile: :smile: :hurray: