Polo 1.2 highline engine problem

SenzoJ
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 8 months

Polo 1.2 highline engine problem

Post by SenzoJ »

Hello guys, i have a 2014 VW Polo 1.2 highline. I bought the car new, after the 75kms towards the 90k kms service i started noticing high oil consumption, more recently there was jerking under load and thereafter smoking during the jerking. I then decided to take the car in, now at 108kms, for repairs to VW barons Durban, after stripping the engine they told me that all 4 pistons have worn out and that valve seals have been damaged and all that has to be replaced. What i would like to find out is whether anyone knows of any goodwill repair offered by VWsa on this issue?
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Re: Polo 1.2 highline engine problem

Post by Supervan II »

Are you sure you heard correctly??? I have never heard of pistons being worn out on any VW engine that I know of, certainly not at 108K km either.

It is your piston rings (& valve-stem seals) which is causing your engine to smoke - which is also strange for an engine with such low milage.

I smell a rat.
Dale_VDUB
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2014 Golf 7 1.4 comfortline

Post by Dale_VDUB »

Not strange at all on these TSI's. Had a 1.4tsi Golf 7 with 83k on the clock that had oil issues and smoking. I think there was another guy on the forum whose 1.2 TSI with 73k on the clock haf oil issues and smoking which VW agreed to repair.

Sent from my H4213 using Tapatalk

Current- 2014 VW Golf 7 1.4 comfortline
Ex- 2011 Opel Corsa 1.4
Ex-2006 Opel Astra 1.9 GTC
Ex- 2006 VW Polo 1.6 comfortline
Ex- 1993 VW Golf GTI
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

I know it's a well known issue on Golf 7 1.4 TSI, never heard of 1.2 Polos.

Had similar problem on my 2013 1.4 Golf Highline and decided to offload. It was on 189000km. Serve me well until it started using oil like nothing and smoking on hard acceleration

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
Rommies
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V1 RS3

Post by Rommies »

I recall VW knows something about this common problem. Is'nt there like a free repair from VW because of this infamous/known problem.....?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

2016 Audi 8V1 RS3

Click: My Youtube Channel
Click: My Build Thread
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

If you had notified the servicing dealer of the issue prior to your warranty expiration, then you will certainly have a better chance of getting a goodwill repair done.

Sadly if this is the first time that it has been brought to anybody's attention then your case gets much weaker. The factory will attribute the failure to driver technique and you will end up with a bill.

Even though the car is out of warranty if you have a complete dealer service history you may also have a better chance of getting VWSA to assist with at least a partial claim against the cost of repairs.

These are some of the factors that may help or hurt your case.

Some others are things like having a long history of being a VW owner and supporter of the brand, long time client of that particular dealer, family members who also own VW's and use that same dealer, and so on.

You will have to make enough of a case in your favour to get it escalated to the Area Service/Technical Manager. If he/she likes you, they can motivate to the factory to support your claim.

It wont be easy, so stick to your guns and stay firm that you deserve your car to be repaired. Dont be pushy, you need some sympathy to get a favourable outcome, so be warned aggression will erase your chances. Also be prepared to wait. Sometimes it takes a little time, just dont let it get dragged out. Past a certain point and it all becomes a lost cause.

My advice might sound confusing and contradictory, but the car is the smallest problem now, for a goodwill claim to succeed you have to know how to play it with all the relevant people. Also If you have any connections that have any pull that owe you a favour, it's a good time to play that card.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Supervan II wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:25 pm Are you sure you heard correctly??? I have never heard of pistons being worn out on any VW engine that I know of, certainly not at 108K km either.

It is your piston rings (& valve-stem seals) which is causing your engine to smoke - which is also strange for an engine with such low milage.

I smell a rat.
That is what i was also told by the lady at the dealership, that the pistons are worn out, not piston rings. i also found it strange seeing that the car is only almost 5 years old. However, after doing some research i realized that this is a common problem with these cars, it appears that its more common on golf 7 tsi and not so much on polos as a result it appears that VW is not fixing the polos for free as the golfs
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Rommies wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:34 pm I recall VW knows something about this common problem. Is'nt there like a free repair from VW because of this infamous/known problem.....?

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk
That is what i am also trying to find out. i read somewhere that the issue was more common in golf 7s tsi and as a result there was a goodwill repair.
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

missioner wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:19 am If you had notified the servicing dealer of the issue prior to your warranty expiration, then you will certainly have a better chance of getting a goodwill repair done.

Sadly if this is the first time that it has been brought to anybody's attention then your case gets much weaker. The factory will attribute the failure to driver technique and you will end up with a bill.

Even though the car is out of warranty if you have a complete dealer service history you may also have a better chance of getting VWSA to assist with at least a partial claim against the cost of repairs.

These are some of the factors that may help or hurt your case.

Some others are things like having a long history of being a VW owner and supporter of the brand, long time client of that particular dealer, family members who also own VW's and use that same dealer, and so on.

You will have to make enough of a case in your favour to get it escalated to the Area Service/Technical Manager. If he/she likes you, they can motivate to the factory to support your claim.

It wont be easy, so stick to your guns and stay firm that you deserve your car to be repaired. Dont be pushy, you need some sympathy to get a favourable outcome, so be warned aggression will erase your chances. Also be prepared to wait. Sometimes it takes a little time, just dont let it get dragged out. Past a certain point and it all becomes a lost cause.

My advice might sound confusing and contradictory, but the car is the smallest problem now, for a goodwill claim to succeed you have to know how to play it with all the relevant people. Also If you have any connections that have any pull that owe you a favour, it's a good time to play that card.
Thank you for your advice. I will take what relates to me and see how far it gets me. I have an extended warranty on the car and i am hoping that it will come to the party but i might have to also pay part of the bill.
Teezy_GP
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 8 years 2 months
Car Make: MKV

Post by Teezy_GP »

was the 105k km service done at the dealer?
2008 MKV GTI
2016 Polo Vivo
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Teezy_GP wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:01 am was the 105k km service done at the dealer?
No it was done at Hoopers VW . i took the car to Barons VW because i was not happy with Barons VW, they kept telling me that they do not know what is wrong with the car so i went to another dealer for a different opinion.
Teezy_GP
Wheel Whore

Post by Teezy_GP »

was just confirming if the car had full VW service record .. which could help your case
2008 MKV GTI
2016 Polo Vivo
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Teezy_GP wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am was just confirming if the car had full VW service record .. which could help your case
Ow yes i has a full service record within the correct mileage requirements.
Teezy_GP
Wheel Whore

Post by Teezy_GP »

SenzoJ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:50 am
Teezy_GP wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:35 am was just confirming if the car had full VW service record .. which could help your case
and u have an extended warranty .. so this should play in your favor .. just stick to your guns as mentioned, as the dealers are always looking for way to not pay for legitimate claims ..

my tsi is on 63k km now .. ive complained at every service for the shudder/hesitation on idle .. and because the computer logs no faults.. everything is " fine " ...
2008 MKV GTI
2016 Polo Vivo
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Teezy_GP wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:04 am
SenzoJ wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:50 am
and u have an extended warranty .. so this should play in your favor .. just stick to your guns as mentioned, as the dealers are always looking for way to not pay for legitimate claims ..

my tsi is on 63k km now .. ive complained at every service for the shudder/hesitation on idle .. and because the computer logs no faults.. everything is " fine " ...
I also hope things will work in my favor, i was informed this morning that the extended warranty has appointed an assessor to go and have a look at the car. i will keep u posted on the outcome of the whole process.

it appears cars nowadays are not well built. the tests the dealerships perform seem to be useless or intentionally designed to produce inaccurate result, because they always find that everything is fine even when the signs are there that there is a problem.
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Hi guys as promised i am bck to give u feedback on how my situation is panning out....VW SA has agreed to pay 100% for the engine parts to be replaced and 50% for the labour. I am hoping that my extended warranty will pay for the other 50% for labour.
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

Great news that you will be sorted. Its also important to know what actually caused the problem.
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Jet Li wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:33 am Great news that you will be sorted. Its also important to know what actually caused the problem.
Ow yes i will ask the mechanics when i go to fetch the car and let you guys know what they say.
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Just a little update on the engine repair done on my vw polo tsi. the mechanics at the dealership told me that VW has a technical product information report where they had all the engine numbers of engines they had put bad pistons in, my engine number was on that report hence they offered the goodwill repair.

When the dealership was done fixing the car i was told that VW had only agreed to pay for the pistons and 50% for labour, which was not true, however, my extended warranty stepped in and paid for the valve stem seals.

After driving the car for a couple of weeks i noticed slight pinging, and took it back to the dealer, they test drove the car and did diagnostic tests and told me that they cannot find anything wrong with the car, they said that i should continue driving and monitoring it. I took it back to them last month after noticing that the pinging is still there, though it is not as frequent as before. They now told me, after doing diagnostics, that it is the fuel injectors that are dirty, they then put the injector cleaner solution and told me to monitor the car again and if it persists i will have to put in new injectors. they told me the problem had nothing to do with the initial repair, and i do not believe them.

So as much as the car is no longer using up as much oil as it was nor smoking, it is still pinging though not as frequent as before.
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by Jueshen »

i believe the fuel pump follower also wears in these engines..
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

Jueshen wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:52 am i believe the fuel pump follower also wears in these engines..
do you know of anyone who has successfully dealt with this problem? or should one just consider offloading this car?
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

SenzoJ wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 am my extended warranty stepped in and paid for the valve stem seals.
Is your extended warranty with VW or a 3rd party?
SenzoJ
Enlisted

Post by SenzoJ »

PoloRolo wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:43 am
SenzoJ wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 am my extended warranty stepped in and paid for the valve stem seals.
Is your extended warranty with VW or a 3rd party?
it is with a 3rd party, SA warranty.