Mk7 GTi - Starter Problems > Resolved...finally!

128kw
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk7 GTi & Polo 9n3

Mk7 GTi - Starter Problems > Resolved...finally!

Post by 128kw »

Hi everyone,

Its been while... :hi:

So I got a 2016 Golf 7 GTi DSG recently, its now on about 69xxxKM. FSH and Service Plan until 90000km, Factory Warranty ends today actually but have an extended Warranty with Innovation Group.

Developed an issue last week with the start-stop system.
Happened during the morning drive to work, came to a stop and the system engaged. Lifted my foot off the brake and it doesn’t start, get the message on MFD says start car manually. No error showing for the start-stop system. Move to P, press the button and its struggles to start a bit but eventually does. Continue driving and the next few times the start-stop system engages and disengages. Then it did it again, this time it struggled alot more to start manually and eventually did. There was also a time when it made a weird (for the lack of a better description) “cluck” sound before it started again.

Car was fine for the drive home...booked in at VW Bryanston on Thursday and on the way there it did it twice. Car was scanned a the fault was picked up...the battery was charged and I was told to test...on the way home on Thursday again on two occasions it engages and then does not disengage when I lift off the brake pedal and struggles to start manually but eventually does.

Took it back Friday and on the way to VW it did it throughout the drive and through up the error on MFD after a few times.

Starting the car initially also makes that weird “cluck” noise before it starts.

Electronics running at the time of issue: lights+fogs, heater with fan on speed 1, drivers heated seat on 1 and radio. The first handful of times the start-stop system engages and disengages is fine and thereafter the issue occurs.

Another bit of history on the car - its had 2 x battery replacements in its 3yr existence and the onboard power supply unit was also replaced. Also the previous owner logged a number of road side assistance calls for flat battery.

Anyone else experience this type if issue with their start-stop systems, if so what was the outcome/resolution?

Car is still at VW they have logged a technical query with VWSA, they were told to charge the battery again and test.

Thanks
Last edited by 128kw on Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey
08’ Polo Playa 1.6i Comfortline, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
98' Golf 3 VR6 Exec, White
04' Golf Life 1.6i, White
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems

Post by chucker02 »

9 out of 10 times it is caused by a worn down battery but the other time its almost always the battery sensor that is causing issues.
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Put in a new battery. Disable startbstop everytime you get in the car. Live a happy life.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

First thing I do when I start mine is disable the start//stop. It irritates the cr@p out of me.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Ghostfacekilla
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Model: Golf GTi 7.5

Post by Ghostfacekilla »

I drive a 2019 Gti and find the Start Stop to be very lazy and abit lost, when compared to my previous experiences with start stop in my BMW and Volvo, there is a sensor in the VW sign in the front grill that determines when the car in front pulls off, then the start stop starts the car preparing for pull away, when in heavy traffic the start stop gets so confused with the car constantly stopping in front of you, it then requires you to put the car back into park and start manually. Best thing to do deactivate the start stop and enjoy a stress free trip.
“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment”

CURRENT: GTI MK 7.5
EX: E90 LCI 320d Msport
EX: F20 118i Msport
EX: Polo 1.6 TDI 6R
EX: Polo 1.9 TDI 9n Sportline
PROJECT: MK2 GTI Jumbo
jimbogp
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 Gti MK6 Gti

Post by jimbogp »

Ghostfacekilla wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:42 am I drive a 2019 Gti and find the Start Stop to be very lazy and abit lost, when compared to my previous experiences with start stop in my BMW and Volvo, there is a sensor in the VW sign in the front grill that determines when the car in front pulls off, then the start stop starts the car preparing for pull away, when in heavy traffic the start stop gets so confused with the car constantly stopping in front of you, it then requires you to put the car back into park and start manually. Best thing to do deactivate the start stop and enjoy a stress free trip.
Can the stop start not be Permanently disabled Via VCDS ??

Instead of having to manually deactivate it each time?
Current Rides
2008 RS MK5 GTi DSG KO4 Unitronic Tuned
2013 TR MK6 GTi DSG KO4 APR Tuned
2011 C63 AMG Motronix Tuned
2014 Polo 6R Comfortline
2011 A200 Avantgarde

EX:
2005 Mk1 Velociti 1.6i Black Magic
1990 Gli Twincam 4AGZE Supercharged
2008 335i M-sport Package
2005 BMW individual Motorsport
2000 Audi A3 1.8T
1996 Toyota Corolla 160i Gle
Gbvl
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Gbvl »

I permanently disabled mine with the OBDeleven app.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Disable it, it's a complete gimmick, a DMF/Starter/Battery killing gimmick.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Some can be switch off with vcds and some can't. You'll have to try and see.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

Gbvl wrote:I permanently disabled mine with the OBDeleven app.
The control unit was updated to defeat that. So you cannot disable it, mostly on 2017+ models

I tried on mine with Obdeleven and failed but worked on my buddy's 2016. So I just deactivate it all the time

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
128kw
Cadet

Post by 128kw »

VW suspecting the starter...still troubleshooting.

They ruling out the battery as the issue.
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
128kw
Cadet

Post by 128kw »

Update:

Starter has now completed failed, car still at VW. Awaiting part delivery :bang:
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
128kw
Cadet

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems > Resolved

Post by 128kw »

Resolved:

Starter replaced, earth connection on the starter deteriorated which caused the issue.

Battery is fine doesn’t need replacing.
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

so now just keepfollowing the advise to disable it each time you start the car
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Brenz95
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Brenz95 »

Maybe permanently disable it via vcds

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

You year model can have it deactivated permanently, it's a good idea to keep it off.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
128kw
Cadet

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems > Resolved > Not Resolved

Post by 128kw »

Ok guys I spoke too soon...continuation of start-stop issues plus some new ones! :cry:

Here's the latest...I picked up the car Friday morning used it Friday and Saturday until about midday all was good.
Car was parked from Saturday midday until late Monday evening...when I went to start the car starter was clicking for about 3-5 sec and then the car started. I let it idle for a bit and then switched off and started again...it started up normal. Drove the car no issues thereafter.

Yesterday morning started in the AM drove to work - no issues. Late morning made a trip on the highway and on the way back got the error for the start-stop system again. On two occasions when it engaged and I lifted my foot off the brake pedal the car did not start - I pressed the accelerator, it took a second to "think" and then started.

Got back to work and parked, idled for a minute of two and then switched off...tried to start the car and again the starter made the clicking noise and then it started.

Switched it off and tried to start - nothing happens - ignition switches on - cluster on, lights on, radio on...but no start not even a noise from the starter. Did this a few times.

Then I kept my foot on the brake, pushed the button and just waited...after about 20sec or so starter made the clicking noises and it started but died immediately...I switched off and tried it again and it started...drove straight to VW to go see the guy who worked on the car last.

Got to VW he started the car and he said it doesn't sound "normal" when it started. So he scanned it and it now picked up a starter relay error...so he swopped the two starter relays with the fuel pump relay and hooter relay - he tested and said it started every time. He said if the hooter starts acting up or if the car is swinging but not starting then we know its a faulty relay...I got it in the car started, I switched off and started again and back to the "clicking"...so he took it back into the workshop...checked and cleaned the fuses/fuses strip checked all connections to make sure they are tight etc.

Then after all of this another issue pops up...when car is idling the rev counter goes up on its own to about 1200/1300rpm and stays there :???:

So after spending two hours at VW...he says he wants to replace the wire/cable that runs from the battery/fuse box to the starter - ordered it hopefully it will be there today.

Driving home and I switch to the car menu > start-stop and want to see what info it provides...it shows that start-stop is not available because: "Engine must be running" yet I am driving :???: :???: then as I continue driving it shows "start-stop system is available" and keeps switching between these two...But as I come to stop it shows "Engine must be running". Then sometimes it will engage but it does disengage thereafter in a normal manner.

Get home car is idling wanted to see if that's still an issue and it was...but got worse...it was now revving up to 1200/1300rpm and bouncing up to 1500rpm and back down to 1200/1300rpm.

Left it for a while and then just decided to check the battery terminals...positive and negative had about 1.5 - 2 turns on each nut - whether this makes any difference I don't know.

I've got some pics and videos that I took of all of this will try and upload a bit later.

Yes guys I know (panic-mechanic) - disable the feature completely...don't START with me :lol:
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:39 pm Some can be switch off with vcds and some can't. You'll have to try and see.
I did this with mine, well @Senna did it for me, one of the best VCDS changes done to my car.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
128kw
Cadet

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems > Resolved > Not Resolved

Post by 128kw »

128kw wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:59 am Ok guys I spoke too soon...continuation of start-stop issues plus some new ones! :cry:

Here's the latest...I picked up the car Friday morning used it Friday and Saturday until about midday all was good.
Car was parked from Saturday midday until late Monday evening...when I went to start the car starter was clicking for about 3-5 sec and then the car started. I let it idle for a bit and then switched off and started again...it started up normal. Drove the car no issues thereafter.

Yesterday morning started in the AM drove to work - no issues. Late morning made a trip on the highway and on the way back got the error for the start-stop system again. On two occasions when it engaged and I lifted my foot off the brake pedal the car did not start - I pressed the accelerator, it took a second to "think" and then started.

Got back to work and parked, idled for a minute of two and then switched off...tried to start the car and again the starter made the clicking noise and then it started.

Switched it off and tried to start - nothing happens - ignition switches on - cluster on, lights on, radio on...but no start not even a noise from the starter. Did this a few times.

Then I kept my foot on the brake, pushed the button and just waited...after about 20sec or so starter made the clicking noises and it started but died immediately...I switched off and tried it again and it started...drove straight to VW to go see the guy who worked on the car last.

Got to VW he started the car and he said it doesn't sound "normal" when it started. So he scanned it and it now picked up a starter relay error...so he swopped the two starter relays with the fuel pump relay and hooter relay - he tested and said it started every time. He said if the hooter starts acting up or if the car is swinging but not starting then we know its a faulty relay...I got it in the car started, I switched off and started again and back to the "clicking"...so he took it back into the workshop...checked and cleaned the fuses/fuses strip checked all connections to make sure they are tight etc.

Then after all of this another issue pops up...when car is idling the rev counter goes up on its own to about 1200/1300rpm and stays there :???:

So after spending two hours at VW...he says he wants to replace the wire/cable that runs from the battery/fuse box to the starter - ordered it hopefully it will be there today.

Driving home and I switch to the car menu > start-stop and want to see what info it provides...it shows that start-stop is not available because: "Engine must be running" yet I am driving :???: :???: then as I continue driving it shows "start-stop system is available" and keeps switching between these two...But as I come to stop it shows "Engine must be running". Then sometimes it will engage but it does disengage thereafter in a normal manner.

Get home car is idling wanted to see if that's still an issue and it was...but got worse...it was now revving up to 1200/1300rpm and bouncing up to 1500rpm and back down to 1200/1300rpm.

Left it for a while and then just decided to check the battery terminals...positive and negative had about 1.5 - 2 turns on each nut - whether this makes any difference I don't know.

I've got some pics and videos that I took of all of this will try and upload a bit later.

Yes guys I know (panic-mechanic) - disable the feature completely...don't START with me :lol:
Seems like that was the difference...since tightening both terminals all of the above issues stopped. :hurray:
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
128kw
Cadet

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems > Resolved...ITS BACK AGAIN! F$@$$&$&@$&&$&&

Post by 128kw »

Just as I was starting to not be on edge whenever i needed to start the car...the “clicking” issue is back :bang:

Video: https://youtu.be/HwS7PjnmGWw

Sometimes I have to keep the start button in before it does anything and then its like in the video “clicking clicking clicking” and eventually it starts.

All other electronics work fine.

Going back VW Bryanston on Monday...
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
128kw
Cadet

Re: Mk7 GTi - Start-Stop Problems > Resolved...ITS BACK AGAIN! F$@$$&$&@$&&$&&

Post by 128kw »

Johan at VW Bryanston found the culprit causing all of this...previous owners tracking unit causing issues between the starter relays. Device removed and its all good.
Current:
16’ Mk7 GTi DSG, Grey

Ex:
06' Velo 1.4i, Ice White
AvesshenG
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw, Bmw, Merc
Car Model: 81 Vw Mk1 Cabrio,15 Mk7GTi
Membership No: 3258

Re: Mk7 GTi - Starter Problems > Resolved...finally!

Post by AvesshenG »

By any chance, what Tracking company was the device from , I'm having some weird Electrical issues on my G7 .
Do you know where and how exactly was the tracking device connected to the relay ?