hendriputter
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK7 GTI DSG

Golf 7 Gti dsg 2.0 White smoke

Post by hendriputter »

Hi All

Just need some advise,yesterday I was driving my Gti in sport mode. Next thing a huge puff (in high revs)of white smoke came out the exhausts. My initial thought was either turbo or inter cooler. After the incident, I drove on as normal and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Power is there and everything. I am stunned, any advise on what it might have been ?
pyro-zn
Major
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Model: Golf 7R
Membership No: 2072

Re: Golf 7 Gti dsg 2.0 White smoke

Post by pyro-zn »

hendriputter wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:15 pm Hi All

Just need some advise,yesterday I was driving my Gti in sport mode. Next thing a huge puff (in high revs)of white smoke came out the exhausts. My initial thought was either turbo or inter cooler. After the incident, I drove on as normal and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. Power is there and everything. I am stunned, any advise on what it might have been ?
I believe it's the PCV and happens from time to time (normal).

Current: '17 Golf VII R
Ex: '12 TR Golf Vi GTi DSG ::: Revo3 - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi (Take 2) ::: FR&R Tuned (163wkw 385nm) - thread
Ex: '13 Polo 1.4 Comfortline ::: PanoRoof | JOM Bluelines | 17" A-Line Racers | 17" VW Boavista's
by Borbet - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi ::: 76mm downpipe | 63mm exhaust | sLammeD - pics thread
hendriputter
Enlisted

Post by hendriputter »

hi

What is the PCV ? So I don't have to stress to much about it ? Not very technical when it comes to these types of things,sorry
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

During the pull, as in while full throttle, or after you lifted off? Or during a shift? the EA888.3 motor is susceptible to oil-surge, but that's normally under track conditions. What happens is oil accumulates inside of the PCV/Front of the head instead of draining back to the sump, as you lift off, the oil moves forwards, and the vacuum in the manifold sucks it into the intake through the PCV = white smoke.

Racingline takes care of this with their CC kit: https://www.racingline.com/vwr13g700

You shouldn't be seeing this on the road though, especially if not under braking. It could be a failed PCV as Pyro mentioned or it could be as a result of higher than normal sump pressure.
hendriputter
Enlisted

Post by hendriputter »

hi

It was actually as I approached a stop sign. So I was braking at the time.....

Thank You
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

Tuned or stock?
Agent40Seven
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Agent40Seven »

Hi Thanas

I am looking to buy an oil catch can for the wifes 7R.
I had the BMS occ on my old 335. So naturally I am looking at BMS again.
Would you say this Racingline can would be the one to get rather?
Thanks
THANAS wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 am

During the pull, as in while full throttle, or after you lifted off? Or during a shift? the EA888.3 motor is susceptible to oil-surge, but that's normally under track conditions. What happens is oil accumulates inside of the PCV/Front of the head instead of draining back to the sump, as you lift off, the oil moves forwards, and the vacuum in the manifold sucks it into the intake through the PCV = white smoke.

Racingline takes care of this with their CC kit: https://www.racingline.com/vwr13g700

You shouldn't be seeing this on the road though, especially if not under braking. It could be a failed PCV as Pyro mentioned or it could be as a result of higher than normal sump pressure.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

The stock PCV system is a pretty advanced and very functional design. If the car is not going to be seeing much higher than stock boost pressure or aggressive driving/track use, I would say that you don't need to install a catch can at all. The design of the stock PCV acts as a catch can of sorts with a returning oil-seperator etc.

The VWR catch can is a very neat package(albeit expensive) and looks/performs well , I can't say how it compares to other kits as I haven't had any experience with them.
hendriputter
Enlisted

Post by hendriputter »

hi Thanas

Stock
Zaidan
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 months

Post by Zaidan »

Hi, I have the same problem from time to time under hard acceleration. New pcv valve, Installed a catch can with breather filter on top, reduced it but still happens. It starts under full throttle/high revs in sports mode and then as soon as I release accelerator, clouds of white smoke. I dont recall it ever happening in manual mode. Mk7r with EFR turbo. What else could it be? Any advise appreciated. No one could solve it yet and spent unnecessary along the way.
Thank you.
THANAS wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:57 am The stock PCV system is a pretty advanced and very functional design. If the car is not going to be seeing much higher than stock boost pressure or aggressive driving/track use, I would say that you don't need to install a catch can at all. The design of the stock PCV acts as a catch can of sorts with a returning oil-seperator etc.

The VWR catch can is a very neat package(albeit expensive) and looks/performs well , I can't say how it compares to other kits as I haven't had any experience with them.
THANAS wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:59 am