P1LAYA-ZN
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi, VW and Toyota
Car Model: S3 8L 20VT & Mk 1 Jetta GLi

S3 8L - Single or dual Mass kit ?

Post by P1LAYA-ZN »

Good day gents,

So, I think my clutch will need replacing in the near future and was considering this Single Mass option.
Have read some conflicting opinions online, so would like to hear from someone who has actually did this mod on their S3/TT.
Please advise on this mod wrt. gearbox chatter & whether extra transmission fluid reduces this, Power/Torque gain or loss if any, Clutch pedal Feel, longevity, etc

#Builtnotbought
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Re: S3 8L - Single or dual Mass kit ?

Post by ICE King »

Either option will keep the car in motion ,

Advantage of a SMF is price , having driven both , I find the DMF has a much cleaner smoother drive but if this does not phase you then SMF will be fine.

Extra fluid won't help won't help the SMF, The SMF basically gives you a drive,noises, chatter like the older cars did that was fitted with it but don't confuse it as a fault.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Abdullah
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Post by Abdullah »

Is your car modded or are you planning to do future big-ish mods?
Do you abuse the car regularly, launches etc? Rough 1st to second shifts? If yes then go with the smf they can handle more abuse than the dmf and are rated for higher torque as well. On my A3 when i replaced the clutch i stuck with the dmf as i was happy with the way the car drove and felt, but if you fine with the extra chatter etc and planning mods go smf.
saxo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Post by saxo »

MBT Automotive sell smf kits
dcmk4
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years
Car Model: MK7 GTi

Post by dcmk4 »

Barely noticeable chatter on my SMF setup with an LMB kit, holds up to plenty abuse as well.

I would say just go SMF while you have it all apart.
'14 Golf Mk7 GTI
THANAS STG/// ECU&DSG
Littco L380x
All the ponies
P1LAYA-ZN
Cadet

Post by P1LAYA-ZN »

Abdullah wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 pm Is your car modded or are you planning to do future big-ish mods?
Do you abuse the car regularly, launches etc? Rough 1st to second shifts? If yes then go with the smf they can handle more abuse than the dmf and are rated for higher torque as well. On my A3 when i replaced the clutch i stuck with the dmf as i was happy with the way the car drove and felt, but if you fine with the extra chatter etc and planning mods go smf.
So far , just the standard mods 76mm pipes, FMIC, Samco TIP, R8 Coils, CAI and Software, still running the STD K04....would love to go GT28 one day, these heavy cars need a Bigger Turbo to Run.
Maybe I should consider the SMF, although I don't really abuse my car...Too afraid to launch and break something. Nothing is cheap on a 8L S3 :driving:
Any idea what the price differences between DMF and SMF kits ?
#Builtnotbought
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

In the very long run SMF will make your gearbox suffer more as it is getting vibration it was not designed for. So often you start hearing noisy input shaft bearings.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

dcmk4 wrote:Barely noticeable chatter on my SMF setup with an LMB kit, holds up to plenty abuse as well.

I would say just go SMF while you have it all apart.
+1 mine also holding up for a couple of years now with alot of abuse Image

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
P1LAYA-ZN
Cadet

Post by P1LAYA-ZN »

Ok, so decided on the Dual Mass Kit for my car.
What is the going price for a Dual MAss LUK kit ?
I have a friend who recently did his and paid 8K for the kit from Goldwagen, however I called a Workshop in Durban, and they quoted R11000 for a LUK kit and R2500 labour...

Also, I have a gearbox leak, seems to be towards the back near the Dogbone Mount and Bell housing, any ideas which seal would need replacing and are they agents only seals, I wanna do this or even all of the seals whilst box is out.

Finally, I am running Motul Gear 300 in the box and cant find this product anywhere in Durban, would it be ok to top up with something like a Liqui Moly, or should I just drain all the oil and replace with Liqui Moly ?
#Builtnotbought