Mk 7 gti performance drop in flat pad filter vs CAI kit comparison.

Dale
Lieutenant
Registered for: 21 years 8 months

Mk 7 gti performance drop in flat pad filter vs CAI kit comparison.

Post by Dale »

Hi guys,

Has anyone tried any of these two options or both as a comparison on which works better?

Doesnt make sense in buying expensive carbon to dolly up an engine bay but it does the same on performance as a flat pad filter.

Thanks
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Re: Mk 7 gti performance drop in flat pad filter vs CAI kit comparison.

Post by Trishen94 »

Ive played around with cai and flat pads a few times on my mk5 gti...the flat pads are an upgrade to the standard filters coz the air flows through much easier and it's alot more silent than the CAI u won't get the flutter and sucking sound ...if ur after performance than a PROPER cai is definitely the way to go maf scaling is very important so make sure it's from a brand who actually takes the scaling into consideration when making them and make sure u have a heat shield coz the point of a cai is to suck cold air .also advantage on the cai is you get a nice sucking sound and also flutter when u tap the gas inbetween shifts and there are no restrictions in the pipes and bends
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

Trishen94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:57 am Ive played around with cai and flat pads a few times on my mk5 gti...the flat pads are an upgrade to the standard filters coz the air flows through much easier and it's alot more silent than the CAI u won't get the flutter and sucking sound ...if ur after performance than a PROPER cai is definitely the way to go maf scaling is very important so make sure it's from a brand who actually takes the scaling into consideration when making them and make sure u have a heat shield coz the point of a cai is to suck cold air .also advantage on the cai is you get a nice sucking sound and also flutter when u tap the gas inbetween shifts and there are no restrictions in the pipes and bends
This is for a mk7, totally different setup.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

Lmao buddy ...even if it's a Ferrari same rules apply ...it must suck cold air not hot engine air , have proper maf scaling , as little bends and restrictions as possible

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Dale wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:02 pm This is for a mk7, totally different setup.
deets??? :troll:
Titleists
Philosopher STIG
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2016 Golf R
Membership No: 1520

Post by Titleists »

I would also like to know. If someone has a panel filter and intake, let's do some runs with my VCDS and test it.
VCDS changes done by me for a minimal fee

My ex rides:

2013 LHD Scirocco R
2011 Golf 6 GTI
Koena
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: Golf MK7 R

Post by Koena »

Howzit Gents

I had the flat pad performance filter in my 7R, as I was the same in thinking why spend the money on the more expensive CAI. and I can't really say that it made a difference as you won't notice anything, but I am sure with proper logs it will pick it up.

But then I forked out the money for the VWR R600 intake and man o man, it is a difference you will notice straight away, the throttle response is better, power delivery is better and it makes all the right sounds.

I will spend the money on a proper CAI, as you will end up spending it in any case in the long run.
Current: 2014 Golf 7R
Previous: 2011 Audi A3 1.8TFSI - 211kW
Previous: 2005 Megane RS
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

Trishen94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:37 pm Lmao buddy ...even if it's a Ferrari same rules apply ...it must suck cold air not hot engine air , have proper maf scaling , as little bends and restrictions as possible
My question is regarding a mk 7, not a Mk5. Thanks for advice on something I already know about a Mk 5. Ferrari, now thats a different class all together :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

Koena wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:50 pm Howzit Gents

I had the flat pad performance filter in my 7R, as I was the same in thinking why spend the money on the more expensive CAI. and I can't really say that it made a difference as you won't notice anything, but I am sure with proper logs it will pick it up.

But then I forked out the money for the VWR R600 intake and man o man, it is a difference you will notice straight away, the throttle response is better, power delivery is better and it makes all the right sounds.

I will spend the money on a proper CAI, as you will end up spending it in any case in the long run.
Thanks Koena! Trishen94, this was the answer was looking for.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

:hug: No fuss bud ...im glad u found the info u where looking for... give us feedback on it once u install
Last edited by Trishen94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Dale wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:21 pm My question is regarding a mk 7, not a Mk5. Thanks for advice on something I already know about a Mk 5. Ferrari, now thats a different class all together :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shots fired...... :eek:
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Trishen94 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:37 pm Lmao buddy ...even if it's a Ferrari same rules apply ...it must suck cold air not hot engine air , have proper maf scaling , as little bends and restrictions as possible
Not entirely true, as the EA888.3 doesn't use a MAF, all VE calcs are achieved with PUT (Pressure Upstream Throttle)/MAP sensors. You can do pretty much whatever you want with the intake without worrying about the ECU being out of sync. One of the many benefits of the Simos18 ecu it uses. The original airbox already takes in cold air from the front collector, which is a lot larger than on the Mk5. So the coolness of air isn't the issue, the key with the Mk7 GTi is to get an intake that retains the collector but is shaped for smoother flow at the flow levels achieved on a tuned motor. The VWR intake has been proven to be an effective solution, albeit rather bland looking.
Trishen94
Cadet

Post by Trishen94 »

THANAS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:35 am
Not entirely true, as the EA888.3 doesn't use a MAF, all VE calcs are achieved with PUT (Pressure Upstream Throttle)/MAP sensors. You can do pretty much whatever you want with the intake without worrying about the ECU being out of sync. One of the many benefits of the Simos18 ecu it uses. The original airbox already takes in cold air from the front collector, which is a lot larger than on the Mk5. So the coolness of air isn't the issue, the key with the Mk7 GTi is to get an intake that retains the collector but is shaped for smoother flow at the flow levels achieved on a tuned motor. The VWR intake has been proven to be an effective solution, albeit rather bland looking.
Learning alot everyday on the forum thanks for the explanation thanas I was unaware of that but atleast now I know

THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

No problem at all, here's one of my favourite intake manufacturer's offering for the Mk7/7.5 (probably costs infinite money, but still):

http://www.eventuri.net/products/vw-golf-mk7-gti/

Claiming around 25 Hp gain on a tuned motor.
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Model: Golf 7R
Membership No: missing

Post by Hotdubz »

Made a good difference on my car. Also has a nice induction sound and turbo sound. Fuel consumption is also lower with the intake on.

If you are going to do a drop in filter, change the intake pipe and 90deg bend TIP and also mod the intake vents - Stock the side of the intake is blocked - open up these vents. The TIP inlet pipes makes a nice difference on the IS38, not sure on the IS20.

Stock run vs intake and 90deg TIP
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

THANAS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm No problem at all, here's one of my favourite intake manufacturer's offering for the Mk7/7.5 (probably costs infinite money, but still):

http://www.eventuri.net/products/vw-golf-mk7-gti/

Claiming around 25 Hp gain on a tuned motor.
This does look nice hey! Any idea on costs?
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Better Car breaths = Better Car Perform,..Right hardware upgrades is always a Plus!
Fitting proper Intake couple with DP will allow turbo spool up better, thus generating better performance.

Jis 2cent: Fitting a Intake will allow for better spool but will not do much for Cold Air intake as the Turbo will spool up the air temps anyway,..now that where Cooler makes difference (JIS 2cent there eks se) e
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Like the guys said, the MK7 is mafless. Also, have you felt the intake pipe after the car is driven? The air from the filter to the turbo is DEFINITELY going to heat up from the time it leaves the filter to the time it enters the turbo.
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Camo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm Better Car breaths = Better Car Perform,..Right hardware upgrades is always a Plus!
Fitting proper Intake couple with DP will allow turbo spool up better, thus generating better performance.

Jis 2cent: Fitting a Intake will allow for better spool but will not do much for Cold Air intake as the Turbo will spool up the air temps anyway,..now that where Cooler makes difference (JIS 2cent there eks se) e
LOL beat me to it
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

THANAS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm Claiming around 25 Hp gain on a tuned motor.
I have the CTS intake and they claim 10 - 15hp on a stock tune. I got a 6.5kw (about 8 - 9hp) gain so I'm happy

If this intake can give close to 25HP gain then that is very very good.
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Hotdubz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm
Camo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:57 pm Better Car breaths = Better Car Perform,..Right hardware upgrades is always a Plus!

LOL beat me to it
:lol: :hug: all good bud,..will chat to you so, in process of getting a 7.:R :hijack:
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps
THANAS
Forum Advertiser

Post by THANAS »

Hotdubz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:06 pm
THANAS wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:14 pm Claiming around 25 Hp gain on a tuned motor.
I have the CTS intake and they claim 10 - 15hp on a stock tune. I got a 6.5kw (about 8 - 9hp) gain so I'm happy

Have the car tuned, then head to the dyno with your stock and CTS intakes, for science.
Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

Camo wrote:
Hotdubz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:01 pm

LOL beat me to it
Image :hug: all good bud,..will chat to you so, in process of getting a 7.:R :hijack:
Anytime dude. Just give me a shout.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hotdubz
General

Post by Hotdubz »

THANAS wrote:
Hotdubz wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:06 pm

Have the car tuned, then head to the dyno with your stock and CTS intakes, for science.
Definitely will and will share too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk