Polo 2006 BAH 1.6 Engine - Help needed urgently

IRBaboon
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Polo 2006 BAH 1.6 Engine - Help needed urgently

Post by IRBaboon »

Hi Guys,

I am in desperate need of assistance please.
I replaced my oil pump (crank driven) fitted a new strainer - replaced the oil filter - filling it up with oil before installing.
I replaced the head gasket, water pump, thermostat housing etc.
I oiled the cam lobes and installed the cam cover.
When I started the engine it made a real weird noise and stopped.
Upon inspection - the cam seized at the oil pressure sensor side.
i took the head off again and cleaned oil channels with compressed air - I removed the oil sensor and pushed a wire in there - incase of a blockage.
I removed the head again and cranked the starter to see whether oil is comming up to the head.
No oil came up through the cam oil feed holes.
I thought the oil pump was crappy as it cost R350.00 - so replaced it with a VAG which cost R1100.00.
Put everything back together - ensuring that the headgasket has the teardrop shape on my lefthand side closest to the front of the engine.
I used a Victor Reins head gaslet - and logically it can only go on one way.
I did not install the cam or cambox cover - cranked the starter and not oil came up.
I tried to suck oil up through the utmost left oil hole - where the cam pulley fits on - by using a vacuum generator - thus priming the pump?
Cranked the started again - no oil comes up.
Can any one please help me - I am at my whits-end?

Kind regards.

IRBaboon
Nirshad
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Re: Polo 2006 BAH 1.6 Engine - Help needed urgently

Post by Nirshad »

Hi I have the same problem with my Seat Ibiza Bah. Did you manage to solve the problem? If so please share with me.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Why did u change the oil pump? Was the engine rebuilt?

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Nirshad
Enlisted

Post by Nirshad »

@Ashveer03, yes the engine was rebuilt and a new oil pump was installed.
IRBaboon
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by IRBaboon »

Hi Nirshad,

Yes.....I solved the problem.
I went to the local gunshop, bought a ,22 riffle barrel cleaning kit for R450.00. I removed the oil pump again....and pushed the riffle cleaning rod down the main oil feed hole from the top of the cylinderblock and hot a whole lot of gunk and hardened oil out. I then pushed the rod in from the wheel-well side where the oil pump hole is....towards the oil filter. Again a lot of gunk came out. I then removed the oil sensor in the head and pushed the rod in through the sensor hole, and again removed a whole lot of gunk.
It seems when the motor overheated it caused the oil to solidify.
After all this, I blew everything out with a compressor.
I re- fitted everything and took an oil squirting can with a plastic pipe and fed the pipe into the hole where the oil filter fits. The hole comes from the oil pump. I squirted a whole lot of oil into the pipe in order to prime the oil pipe. I still had the head off. And asked my son to turn the key. I got a face full of oil, as the oil pumped at pressure from the sump.
I have never been so glad to be drenched in oil in my whole life 🤣.
This worked wonders.
If your car did not overheat......start with spraying oil into the oil channel through the filter channel towards the oil pump. Priming the oil pump is a very important action...in order to get the oil flowing.
Hope this help some others......as I could not find assistance and battled my behind off 😊
Supervan II
Cadet
Registered for: 18 years 8 months
Car Make: SEAT
Membership No: missing

Post by Supervan II »

IRBaboon wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:33 am Hi Nirshad,

Yes.....I solved the problem.
I went to the local gunshop, bought a ,22 riffle barrel cleaning kit for R450.00. I removed the oil pump again....and pushed the riffle cleaning rod down the main oil feed hole from the top of the cylinderblock and hot a whole lot of gunk and hardened oil out. I then pushed the rod in from the wheel-well side where the oil pump hole is....towards the oil filter. Again a lot of gunk came out. I then removed the oil sensor in the head and pushed the rod in through the sensor hole, and again removed a whole lot of gunk.
It seems when the motor overheated it caused the oil to solidify.
After all this, I blew everything out with a compressor.
I re- fitted everything and took an oil squirting can with a plastic pipe and fed the pipe into the hole where the oil filter fits. The hole comes from the oil pump. I squirted a whole lot of oil into the pipe in order to prime the oil pipe. I still had the head off. And asked my son to turn the key. I got a face full of oil, as the oil pumped at pressure from the sump.
I have never been so glad to be drenched in oil in my whole life 🤣.
This worked wonders.
If your car did not overheat......start with spraying oil into the oil channel through the filter channel towards the oil pump. Priming the oil pump is a very important action...in order to get the oil flowing.
Hope this help some others......as I could not find assistance and battled my behind off 😊
POST OF THE YEAR! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Nirshad
Enlisted

Post by Nirshad »

Thank you for sharing this information IRB . I'm not a mechanic so I will have to find someone reliable to do the job for me.
Sparkyhpg62
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo mk4

Post by Sparkyhpg62 »

Good day to all of the awesome people. I was changing my front crank seal, due to oil leaks. Then I hitted a road block. While I was busy removing to crank pulley bolt. I broke the crank pulley. Just what I needed. Where can I get a good aftermarket unit or used unit? Thanks