Duey_GP
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTi 6C

Safe boost for Polo GTI 6C

Post by Duey_GP »

Hi guys,

What is a safe boost for the Polo GTI 6C 1.8T? I've currently got software and DP.. I use the car as a daily driver so want to be sure it's still safe.

Some guys are saying that anything over 1bar on the stock turbo is dangerous? Is this true and if mine spikes at 1.5 is it not safe?

thanks
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Safe boost for Polo GTI 6C

Post by panic-mechanic »

On those things the turbo ain't your worry. It's those things going up and down.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Duey_GP
Enlisted

Post by Duey_GP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 pm On those things the turbo ain't your worry. It's those things going up and down.
If it spikes to 1.5 is it too high? In the event I wanted to flash the car back to original, can a VW dealer do that?
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Duey_GP wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm
panic-mechanic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:26 pm On those things the turbo ain't your worry. It's those things going up and down.
If it spikes to 1.5 is it too high? In the event I wanted to flash the car back to original, can a VW dealer do that?
They could, but whoever tuned your car originally could also return it to stock.

To attempt an answer to your boost question, it's unfortunately a bit too open-ended, are you referring to gauge pressure or absolute pressure? It depends almost entirely on the how the rest of the parameters have been adjusted and what the outcome of that is. If the outcome is that your ignition advance becomes very low (or goes severly ATDC) and your EGTs suffer, or the fuelling is not keeping up and your AFRs drift lean, then yes. If it's 2500 mbar on high octane fuel and sufficient fuelling, then it's a different story. Without knowing that, it's difficult to say. The turbo in the 6C is not designed for high pressure ratios.

For example: (2500 mbar boost pressure + 80 mbar pressure loss from turbo to sensor) / (850 mbar atmo pressure - 50 mbar intake tract pressure drop) = 2580/800 = PR of 3.225, which is substantial for a keychain turbo.

In short, it depends :)
Mitch
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 7 months
Car Model: Polo 1.0 R-Line
Membership No: 1840

Post by Mitch »

THANAS wrote:
Duey_GP wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:30 pm
They could, but whoever tuned your car originally could also return it to stock.

To attempt an answer to your boost question, it's unfortunately a bit too open-ended, are you referring to gauge pressure or absolute pressure? It depends almost entirely on the how the rest of the parameters have been adjusted and what the outcome of that is. If the outcome is that your ignition advance becomes very low (or goes severly ATDC) and your EGTs suffer, or the fuelling is not keeping up and your AFRs drift lean, then yes. If it's 2500 mbar on high octane fuel and sufficient fuelling, then it's a different story. Without knowing that, it's difficult to say. The turbo in the 6C is not designed for high pressure ratios.

For example: (2500 mbar boost pressure + 80 mbar pressure loss from turbo to sensor) / (850 mbar atmo pressure - 50 mbar intake tract pressure drop) = 2580/800 = PR of 3.225, which is substantial for a keychain turbo.

In short, it depends :)
Could have just said you not sure
Current:
2019 VW Polo Vivo GT 1.0TSI (Reef Blue Metallic)

Past:
2019 Toyota Rav-4 GX-R AWD (Graphite Grey Metallic)
2019 VW Polo 1.0 R-Line (Reef Blue Metallic)
2012 VW MKVI GTI (Candy White)
2011 VW Polo 6R Comfortline (Black Magic Pearl)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite+ (Silver)
1990 VW Fox 1.3 (Red)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

He is sure. Original poster isa not giving any info that asists in people telling you that it is ok or not. Ie. No info on afr, no info of that is boost or absolute manifold pressure. Is the 1.5 a number you see on a boost gauge or calcualted from a vcds manifold pressure reading minus atmosperic. He is asking a piece of string question and expecting a simple hard yes or no question yet there a no suporting info. We have no idea if you see a lot of timing pull etc etc etc.
the person that loaded the file for you should check all these things and have the experience to KNOW that it is ok or not. If he/they don't then rather go to somebody that DOES.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Duey_GP
Enlisted

Post by Duey_GP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:40 am He is sure. Original poster isa not giving any info that asists in people telling you that it is ok or not. Ie. No info on afr, no info of that is boost or absolute manifold pressure. Is the 1.5 a number you see on a boost gauge or calcualted from a vcds manifold pressure reading minus atmosperic. He is asking a piece of string question and expecting a simple hard yes or no question yet there a no suporting info. We have no idea if you see a lot of timing pull etc etc etc.
the person that loaded the file for you should check all these things and have the experience to KNOW that it is ok or not. If he/they don't then rather go to somebody that DOES.
Thanks for the reply.. Sorry for the lack of information, I'm not that clued up on these things as many other are so just thought I would ask around. Thanks for your help..