2014 polo gti noisy on cold start

Prinolin
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

2014 polo gti noisy on cold start

Post by Prinolin »

Hi all,i have a 2014 polo gti,on start up the engine is noisy for a second and then clears,but it does it even after a good drive,you leave it parked for an hour and when you start again its noisy for a second and then it clears up,is this normal or should i be concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shidaan
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Re: 2014 polo gti noisy on cold start

Post by Shidaan »

Hi,

I had a similar problem on my Scirocco 1.4 a few months ago. I think it has the same engine. Took it to VW braamfontein. They said I shouldn't worry. There were no warnings on the dash. It only happened on a cold start. It stopped after a few days.

Last week the check engine light came on. Took it in again. The code said it had something to do with the timing chain. The technician said it could be a failing sensor, timing chain stretch or a failing vanos. They said it would cost approximately 20k to fix if its the chain or vanos. Took it to vagspec for a second opinion. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Not sure if the problems were related.

Shidaan

Sent from my FIG-LX2 using Tapatalk

Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

Is yours also a twin charged engine??alright do keep me posted on your progress so i know what i should do with mine

Shidaan
Enlisted

Post by Shidaan »

Yup, its the twin charged version.

Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

Then i could be facing a similar problem,will drive it to the nearest vw and have it checked up

Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Check your oil level.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Just for interest sake. VANOS is a BMW copyrighted term. VW simply calls it VVT variable valve timing.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

I believe so and with chev its called cam phases

Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

This is the oil i use

Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Prinolin wrote:Image
This is the oil i use

On the 6R and 6C polo 5w40 was the spec , this will run a bit thinner when hot.

Sent from my CPH1717 using Tapatalk

Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
Shidaan
Enlisted

Post by Shidaan »

VAG spec have the same diagnosis as VW Braam. Its a failing VVT solenoid. Happens intermittently.

Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

But wouldnt a worn vvt gear give you a noise for longer than a second

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

Do an oil change using the correct viscosity oil, see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't book the car in with your mechanic and have them check the timing chain.

The twin charged motor is based on the CLP 1.4 engine, the small motor suffers the same problem as they are not cared for as well as their more powerful siblings. Similar problem with some corolla motors, Hyundai's and so on. Poor oil quality is a factor on the cheaper cars and using thinner oil than the recommended grade will cause it also.

If there is a problem use Genuine parts only and all the timing gears, chain, chain guides, solenoids should be replaced. Don't skimp, these are vital components and need to be properly installed and be the correct quality. Maybe investigate if there is some sort of "racing" upgrade.

Do it soon.

If it fails when driving it will hurt the motor, badly.

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Prinolin
Enlisted

Post by Prinolin »

What oil would you recommend?

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Shell helix ultra 5w40
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

panic-mechanic wrote:Shell helix ultra 5w40
What he said.

Although there should be something in the owners manual if you still have doubts.

Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo Gti 2.0L

Post by Vw polo Gti guy »

I don't want to be an alarmist here, but similar to one of the posts above mentioning the Scirocco (as both the polo and it share the same engine) this is a precursor to timing chain failure. Ik this cause I owned a polo Gti 1.4L purchased in 2014 (new) and my problems started off very similar. Noisy on cold start, noise would go as engine warmed, but would return on engine cool down then disappear when engine resumed normal operation temp. At 32 000km my check engine light came on and vw dealership said timing chain had stretched. The problem is that a batch of models imported into South Africa between 2013 and 2014 had problems with a timing chain tensioner that would fail. Vw will not admit to this but it's completely true.

Don't wait for it to get worse and for the check engine light to come on, cause it's gonna be a 20K repair. Oh and get this vw will not replace it (if under warranty, cause the chain has to fail (snap) according to "their" warranty (which actually cause way more damage......Ik it's sound stupid but it's true). Go to vw (if you still have a service plan or extended warranty) or otherwise a reputable aftermarket garage and ask for your tensioner to be checked. It's usually the lower one which is piston driven that fails which causes the chain to eat into the inner guide rails (which is the noise you hear on cold start etc, but goes away once oil has adequetly lubricate the guide rails). If left unchecked the chain will stretch enough to jump a tooth and the check engine light will come on.

I had a huge uphill fight with vw but won out in the end cause I basically scored the Internet and found evidence of this known failure and they replaced the timing chain under goodwill.

This may not be your issue, but atleast have it checked out. I sold mine last year, it had 52 000km on it and was 4 years old. It's DSG also failed at around 48 000km (fortunately vw replaced that aswell, but not without a fight).
Torker
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf GT
Membership No: 1464

Post by Torker »

My Son in Law's 1.4 Polo GTi had the same issue, noisy on startup - after he had the timing chain replaced the noise went away, the shop he used also spoke about a stretched chain...
Current rides:

VW Golf - 83 GT 2.1 16V 2-door with throttles
VW Golf - 78 LS 2.0 8V 4-door (2.1 ABF with throttles in progress)
VW Golf - '08 Citi Storm - 1.4 for now
Hyundai - 1.4 Getz (daily)
missioner
Major

Post by missioner »

Thanks for that.

My suspicion was timing chains. I see it more and more often these days. Case in point a MB C200CGI got towed in the other night and following a hunch I took the valve cover off with the customer to confirm my suspicion, timing chain snapped and valves bent. Just below 100000km on the motor and fully dealer serviced.

Seems to be a common theme from many manufacturers now that the timing chain parts are not lasting anymore.

BoraMad
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: MK5 Jetta | MK6 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by BoraMad »

Shidaan wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:56 am Hi,

I had a similar problem on my Scirocco 1.4 a few months ago. I think it has the same engine. Took it to VW braamfontein. They said I shouldn't worry. There were no warnings on the dash. It only happened on a cold start. It stopped after a few days.

Last week the check engine light came on. Took it in again. The code said it had something to do with the timing chain. The technician said it could be a failing sensor, timing chain stretch or a failing vanos. They said it would cost approximately 20k to fix if its the chain or vanos. Took it to vagspec for a second opinion. Waiting for them to get back to me.

Not sure if the problems were related.

Shidaan

+1 Its the cam adjuster\VVT gear. there is an updated part revision.
W@D3_Scir_Scir
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by W@D3_Scir_Scir »

I think I got to check out the Chain tensioner on my 2011 Scirocco as well. On 108K's the car sounded harder than usual on start up, this does not happen often but when starting it would feel like a rough start and can feel a rattle to the dsg gearbox. Driving it I felt a slight shiver in my engine. Not sure whether the issue is engine related or tyres that requires wheel balancing. I checked my tyres and it seems to be perfectly fine visually. I was also informed by another scirocco owner that its common that the intake can also become an issue when driving your car hard after a while. I took it to VW but they could not pick up anything and said nothing is wrong. I don't think they checked the chain tensioner which I feel can potentially be the issue. Only had my Scirocco for 5months and its still quite new to me.
Shidaan
Enlisted

Post by Shidaan »

http://www.sciroccocentral.co.uk/forum/ ... 25&t=11007

The link above basically describes everything that happened to me. I also travel less than a km to work daily. The dirty oil may have been the cause. The videos in this link my help you diagnose the issue with your car

My car is at Vag spec. They are replacing the solenoid and timing chain.