Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: A cautionary tale of getting a downpipe just made anywhere

Post by Unobeat »

Poor car
It really helps to ask around and if need be wait patiently for the right people to work on your car as you know that the work done will be 125% perfect and you won't feel like you wasted money, time, effort and just brought yourself unnecessary stress.

*On a side note- Long Read*
So I took my car to my local mechanic who previously has done suspension work for me on previous occasions with no fault but success and i even referred people i know to him for work as he works on many cars and have plenty experiences.

The work that needed to be done on my lil Uno was just a simple cambelt & tensioner change as it was due. Called him up and set an appointment with him then took the car in to have the cambelt change.
Went past my locals spares shop, got my parts and went on my way to the mechanic.

He started to work on my car to change my cambelt, first thing i notice is that he clumsy said that the timing would not be a problem at all and so he did not even bother to set the marks and mark them for ease of change. He changed the belt, Tensioner and struggled to get the car started and running again as it came in.
Guess what, the car was never the same as it sounded terrible, no power, rough idling and even got his friend to come around to check what is wrong or what went wrong.

His mechanic friend dropped a bombshell that my head has dropped a valve and head needs to come out, to check and confirm.
I could not believe it and it did not make sense at all, so i refused to have my engine opened. Took my rough, under powered home with my heart broken and parked it off.

*Lesson learned*
There are some jobs that mechanics excel in and they do those jobs exceptionally well and there is other jobs that they cannot do or take those jobs for granted and fail dismally at them.

I am going to invest more time, effort, money in tools to work on my cars as much as i can because (1) there is nothing as frustrating as spending your hard earned cash and things are not done properly and you end with more issues while in the process you spend more money. (2) I love cars and working on them, i have in past been doing normal services or brake pad change on my car except things like cambelt cause i was afraid of them.

I am sure there is some form of formal education that one can pursue to learn certain things which reminds me, what happened to the Intern that Panic Mechanic took upon some time back who wanted to learn car mechanics??
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3
Membership No: 1489

Post by Uncle Nunda »

yoh thats horrible
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Post by Dub rox »

Unobeat wrote:Poor car
It really helps to ask around and if need be wait patiently for the right people to work on your car as you know that the work done will be 125% perfect and you won't feel like you wasted money, time, effort and just brought yourself unnecessary stress.

*On a side note- Long Read*
So I took my car to my local mechanic who previously has done suspension work for me on previous occasions with no fault but success and i even referred people i know to him for work as he works on many cars and have plenty experiences.

The work that needed to be done on my lil Uno was just a simple cambelt & tensioner change as it was due. Called him up and set an appointment with him then took the car in to have the cambelt change.
Went past my locals spares shop, got my parts and went on my way to the mechanic.

He started to work on my car to change my cambelt, first thing i notice is that he clumsy said that the timing would not be a problem at all and so he did not even bother to set the marks and mark them for ease of change. He changed the belt, Tensioner and struggled to get the car started and running again as it came in.
Guess what, the car was never the same as it sounded terrible, no power, rough idling and even got his friend to come around to check what is wrong or what went wrong.

His mechanic friend dropped a bombshell that my head has dropped a valve and head needs to come out, to check and confirm.
I could not believe it and it did not make sense at all, so i refused to have my engine opened. Took my rough, under powered home with my heart broken and parked it off.

*Lesson learned*
There are some jobs that mechanics excel in and they do those jobs exceptionally well and there is other jobs that they cannot do or take those jobs for granted and fail dismally at them.

I am going to invest more time, effort, money in tools to work on my cars as much as i can because (1) there is nothing as frustrating as spending your hard earned cash and things are not done properly and you end with more issues while in the process you spend more money. (2) I love cars and working on them, i have in past been doing normal services or brake pad change on my car except things like cambelt cause i was afraid of them.

I am sure there is some form of formal education that one can pursue to learn certain things which reminds me, what happened to the Intern that Panic Mechanic took upon some time back who wanted to learn car mechanics??
We should get a name and maim stickey here.

I know we heve the rant and raves section but maybe we need this as a way for all to see and avoid at all cost????

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

Words cannot describe this horrible job done!
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

Ian_F wrote:And people still say, "Oh, I can get a downpipe for my R600k car made for R500 why pay the money charged by a fabricator?"
#Truth

Life lesson: always live within your budget. No point buying a brand new Lambo and then trying to save costs by buying used spares from the chop shop down the road.

If the maintenance costs are gonna be too much then leave it out!
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Trishen94
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk5 gti

Post by Trishen94 »

Hy man even those guys on the side of the road with the ramps and tanks do a much better job than that they have experience lol ...that was made by aliens for a UFO
Current :2008 S3 8P (panic mechanic +thanas) 227kw /309hp 473nm
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=217296

Ex :2008 mk5 gti ... really miss this car

Previous :too many to list
VickyGti
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk7 Gti PP

Post by VickyGti »

Hi Guys

Sorry to hijack the tread.

Im thinking of installing a downpipe and full exhaust from PowerFlow Edenvale, anyone had work done by them and would you recommend them?

Thanks
sbu.mah
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Model: MK7 GTI

Post by sbu.mah »

VickyGti wrote:Hi Guys

Sorry to hijack the tread.

Im thinking of installing a downpipe and full exhaust from PowerFlow Edenvale, anyone had work done by them and would you recommend them?

Thanks
I've done one by them, it was still Sanjay and his brother - I know they now in Randburg by Republic Road so not sure if they still own the edenvale one

But also check out Roque performance, their work is amazing and they value their clients

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MK7 GTI
Revo Tuned
Revo Intake
Roque Performance DP
VickyGti
Enlisted
Car Model: Mk7 Gti PP

Post by VickyGti »

Thanks Sbu.mah, Will call them for a quote as well, Thanks
2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

DAMN!! That is horrific!
Current:
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

The stuff I have seen from Rogue is pretty decent. Also check the for sale here. I actually posted a system for sale by a client of mine and there are others as well.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

JFC!!!! :crazy: :crazy:

I could have done as bad a job as that, and I really don't know what I am doing :fear:
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

That first bend man ,out the turbo , the air is blowing back into the turbo :crazy:
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Leroy Brown
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: FiST

Post by Leroy Brown »

This is why you always check the completed work when possible. Stick your hand in there and take some photos or something, that's the first thing I did when PowerFlow did mine. They did mine beautifully though.