Engine choice for probable Jetta 3

Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Re: Engine choice for probable Jetta 3

Post by Dub rox »

Dub rox wrote:A blank off plate will also be needed for the inlet ports on the 2.0l to close off the injector indents.

If memory serves me right, i think it's the size of a 10 or 20c. Knew a guy who did alot of experimenting on heads and used these with sidies.

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk
80c and your sorted Image

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Bismarck
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Bismarck »

Thanks to all members for your feedback,,
much appreciated!! :grin:

Will hopefully buy the motor early next year if all goes well..
will keep you posted!!

regards
H. :hurray:
Bismarck
Enlisted

Post by Bismarck »

missioner wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm Long block motors have a larger distributor opening than the short block, so to run the 1.8 distributor in the 2.0l you will need a "spacer" ring to get it to fit properly.

A blank off plate will also be needed for the inlet ports on the 2.0l to close off the injector indents.

You will also need the 2.0l engine mount rubber from the later Mk2 or mk3, it's shorter than the 1.6/8 one. This is to help keep the gear linkages straight and working and also so that the front engine mount on the cross member doesn't fail prematurely.

If you have those items then it's mostly plug and play, some parts will have to be kept from the old motor, the vehicle specific ones that are unique to the model. These you will see as the transfer takes place.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-J400F using Tapatalk
Thank u missioner for that information,if i want to get the proper 2.0 8 v dizzy from Goldwagen,will it work,or is their any modifying involved?
& what about the current carb: i suppose it needs bigger jets or worst case scenario a different carb? :???:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Being mk3 you can just get the goldwagen dissy and it will work fine. It should have an electonic advance system. To be sure just take and post a pic of the current dissy.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bismarck
Enlisted

Post by Bismarck »

panic-mechanic wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:37 pm Being mk3 you can just get the goldwagen dissy and it will work fine. It should have an electonic advance system. To be sure just take and post a pic of the current dissy.
Thank you Panic,much appreciated!
Will keep you posted..
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

The 2.0l dizzy doesn't have vacuum advance.

This would be fine if you are running EFI. Since you want to keep the carb for now, you need to get the original one to work.

One could use a hybrid of carb and EFI stuff to get it to work without vacuum advance, but if you go to that much trouble to get the ignition right, the remaining work to complete the fuel system to make it fully electronic is minimal. As soon as you buy an EFI system you might as well go all in.

Find a tuner close to you that you trust, talk to them regarding what options they have for you. You may find it to be quite close to within your budget once you do the sums on the whole job.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Missioner, mk3 carb cars had electronic timing advance on a computer. No more vaccum and flyweigh advance dissy on them.....
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

panic-mechanic wrote:Missioner, mk3 carb cars had electronic timing advance on a computer. No more vaccum and flyweigh advance dissy on them.....
Ok. I didn't know this.

I've worked on many mk3s over the years, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

When you don't specifically look for it you tend not to notice that. But I have played with golf 3 carb jobs often becuase my sister owned one which later became mine so I soent a fair amount of time looking at it very closely.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Bismarck
Enlisted

Post by Bismarck »

missioner wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm Long block motors have a larger distributor opening than the short block, so to run the 1.8 distributor in the 2.0l you will need a "spacer" ring to get it to fit properly.

A blank off plate will also be needed for the inlet ports on the 2.0l to close off the injector indents.

You will also need the 2.0l engine mount rubber from the later Mk2 or mk3, it's shorter than the 1.6/8 one. This is to help keep the gear linkages straight and working and also so that the front engine mount on the cross member doesn't fail prematurely.

If you have those items then it's mostly plug and play, some parts will have to be kept from the old motor, the vehicle specific ones that are unique to the model. These you will see as the transfer takes place.

Good luck

Thank you Guys for the feedback,i battled to log into the forum as someone deactivated my account?? Not sure what happend but i
had to request a new password :bang: