Golf mk5 GTI strange issues

Radrob620
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 9 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 07 Golf 5 GTI

Golf mk5 GTI strange issues

Post by Radrob620 »

Hi everyone. I recently bought a mk5 Gti 2007 model with 300 000 km, yes it's a lot in know but for some reason i enjoy getting super deals on somewhat old problematic cars and rebuild them, anyway had to sort out a few issues on it.

Yesterday I replaced the DV to the Revision D as it still had the original diaphragm DV. Car ran like a dream until in the evening when it started like "cutting" around 2500 - 3000rpm.

Took it to a friend and he ran diagnostics on it, found nothing except saying "oxygen sensor bank 1", cleared it and it was fine, it's started cutting again but it says there's no issues. could this be coil packs?

Also took it to the car wash today and the accelerator pedal is feeling stiff occasionally when I floor it, could it be giving out?

Thanks for the help in advance
Current:
'07 Golf 5 GTI Manual (TNT Full Exhaust, Custom CAI, Custom Stage 2 Software, few others mods)
Ex:
'06 Polo 9n3 1.6i (TNT Full exhaust) Sold
'09 Corsa OPC (CCD Stage 2) Sold
'07 CITI 1.4i (Standard... Well, 17"s and Sound) Sold
Vdubstar
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Re: Golf mk5 GTI strange issues

Post by Vdubstar »

Replace O2 sensor on the turbo hot side
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Impressive kilos that motor and i am curious what else is OEM if you have just changed the DV to an updated version.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Radrob620
Enlisted

Post by Radrob620 »

@ Vdubstar thanks, I just used some electro clean on the o2 sensor and every other plug and sensor. car is running fine now.

@ Unobeat, EVERYTHING is standard. even the clutch kit, flywheel, and release bearing, timing belt tensioner and rollers, but I managed to change all of that.

Think the previous owners didn't car much for servicing cause the service book says it's only been to 2 services at the agents, 15k and 30k.

I'm impressed at how durable these engines can be. Think it only had lady owners & or drivers
Current:
'07 Golf 5 GTI Manual (TNT Full Exhaust, Custom CAI, Custom Stage 2 Software, few others mods)
Ex:
vernymac
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 10 years
Car Model: VW MK5 GTI
Membership No: 3239

Post by vernymac »

They are amazing cars, Mine has around 273xxxkm on it now and has service history till 262xxxkm... the last service i did and mine is a DSG lol

All i have done so far is service, Plugs, oil, oil filter, fuel filter, cam follower, tappet cover gasket, replaced the DV to Rev H and also had a dead coilpack issue so went with R8 ones oh yeah and a rear wheel bearing

I put FK coilovers, Vari Brake discs, Poly dog mount insert, Downpipe, and soon to do control arm bushes and New brake pads..

But other then that lol the car is amazing.... turbo seems to be making a sound now so praying its a loose wastegate and not turbo...
EAT!!! DRINK!!! BOOST!!! :driving:
Ageless_ZA
Storm Trooper
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: LEON CUPRA
Membership No: 1906

Post by Ageless_ZA »

Change all the packs, thats an intermittent coilpack issue and it generally never shows up on scans unless the pack is completely fubar.

Current Rides:
2008 SEAT Leon Cupra Stage 2
2008 Tiguan 2.0TDi 4Motion (Stage 1/Daily)

Exes:
2008 SEAT Leon FR Stage 3 (Hybrid K04)
2004 Stage 2 MK4 GTi
2007 Stage 2 MK5 Jetta Sportline
2008 Stage 3 SEAT Ibiza Cupra 20vT
2008 BMW 520D M-Sport
2008 Stage 2+ REVO SEAT Leon Cupra
2008 Stage 3 MK5 GTi
2006 Stage 1 Audi B6 1.8T
2001 Stage 1 MK4 TDi
1984 16v MK2 Throttled
1991 Audi 90 Cabriolet
Radrob620
Enlisted

Post by Radrob620 »

@ Firestorm_ZA I changed all coil packs to R8 and went down to the coast to test it out. Car was pulling proper. No more issues.

@Vernymac they are amazing. especially now because they are well worth the money they are going for.

how's the ride with the FK Coilies?
Also how much is the brake disc upgrade?

I still need to do so much on this car but I'm excited. I love having a project car that yields proper results when you change something.
Current:
Ex:
Camo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Model: White-G5 GTi

Post by Camo »

Mine sitting on 298000km and running like BOSS...very strong cars and just love them.
CW MKV GTi - Kontrol Freaks CAI - Xcede DP + Exhaust - DogBone Insert - 30mm Lowered - R8 Coils - RevH DV - 20" AMG Wheels - R32 Bumper & Mudflaps