Polo Gti 1.4 Tsi issues. (Don't worry lol it's been fixed and traded in)

Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo Gti 2.0L

Polo Gti 1.4 Tsi issues. (Don't worry lol it's been fixed and traded in)

Post by Vw polo Gti guy »

Yes lol I'm only finding out now that I should have kept well away from this model. I bought it brand new in February 2014, at 10000km or so took it back to the dealership complaining about a noise seemingly omitting from the left hand front wheel and a clanking sound sometimes when changing from first to second. I had it there 3 or 4 times, but gave up after being told they could not find or "replicate" the noise and that I should just get used to using a DSG box cause "apparently sometimes" they make a noise.

At 32000km my check engine light came on, took it in and was told it had a "stretched timing chain". I battled on with VW SA and eventually they replaced it under good will. Problem was the light kept on coming on intermittently after the job and various sensor where replaced. Eventually the problem was found and it was supposedly a "faulty fuel flow regulator" (this is what I was told.) So I wonder if it truely was the timing chain to begin with in the first place. Anyway the light has never come on again and the car rides very well.

Today I took it in cause I'm going to be trading it for the new polo gti, so it went through some pre ckeck thing for master cars or something and now this afternoon they tell me the clunking noise (which I had reported several times prior) is actually coming from the gear box and it's a sign the dsg is going to/or is already in failure. Wtf! Now they can tell me what the noise is.......after me taking it there several times prior and "nobody could here it". Now they saying it needs a replacement DSG .......yes I almost fell over dead. Ik how much it costs, but hell, my car is 4 years old and only has 49000km on the clock.

(Just to point out there is no error code on the dash display or from their diagnostics). The car still drives fine except for the odd bit of "clutch shudder", which only happens every so often.

I have read elsewhere that this is a known issue with this car, but if anyone has any information on how I could fight VW SA so that it gets replaced or at the least use the good will clause, I would be very much grateful. The dealership has been very kind to me and is doing their best, but I also logged a complaint with vw sa and am waiting a response, though I'm not feeling to positive about that.

My trade in price they had offered me was very good, and I had a good amount of cash saved up for they new model, but now it looks like that is going to get burnt up by replacing the DSG.

Please any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Vw polo Gti guy on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Re: Polo Gti 1.4 Tsi issues. Help please

Post by chucker02 »

If you have reported the noise several times in the past, have them pull the jobcards on your car and it should be noted in there. You can use the previous times you complained about the noise as proof if they are on the old jobcards
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted

Well there is no job cards for the previous visits, cause "nothing was found" I have all my service papers but that does not help. I don't even have paperwork for the timing chain replacement. The only thing I have is a receipt for R200 and thats for the fuel they used while testing it. I have the timing chain quote, which I first paid up full in advance before they would even open the engine, then after my bitching I got the repair done and my money was refunded. My problem is the dealer/service manager knows about the issue when I "refreshed his mind". It's not the dealer I have to convince it's VW SA.

VW SA also denied the timing chain claim 3 times, before I slapped them with documented evidence of the model numbers affected with "dodgy timing chains". Only then did they concede and repair it. That's what I'm looking for, some concrete evidence that the Dq200 7 speed DSG box is problematic. Atleast will have some sort of leg to stand and fight on.

They know it's problematic lol, it's just getting them to admit it (which they won't, for obvious reasons), but maybe I can force a good will claim. Ik I won't get it done for free but paying 50000k is better than paying 100000k.

The only thing I have for that time period is a complaint I logged with customer care cause in an attempt to keep me from coming back complaining about that noise they actually stuffed a piece of rag (yes a rag) between the engine management box and the firewall cause thatswhat they thought the noise was. Yeah VW dealerships, fixing problems with a rag. They did apologize profusely though.

Btw. Anyone having timing chain issues with their polo Gti pre 2014, this article eventually got VW to concede and replace my timing chain.

VW Polo with 1.4 Twincharger (TSI) engine: stretched timing chain
In an autobild.de article published in April 2012, a Volkswagen employee admitted that its 1.4 'Twincharger' TSI engine was susceptible to stretched timing chains. According to Volkswagen, worn stamping tools caused:
The holes in the chain links to miss the targeted manufacturing tolerances; and,
Small burrs on the chain links that would cause abrasive wear to the timing chain.
If the timing chain stretched, the change in the engine’s camshaft timing could cause the valves and pistons to collide such that the engine would have to be re-built or replaced. A common symptom of a stretched timing chain is a rattling noise from the engine bay (see video below).

It is understood that the manufacturing defect was rectified for post-2012 1.4 TSI 'Twincharger' engines, though Volkswagen has not identified the production dates or engine codes of affected engines. As such, the 132 kW 1.4 TSI CAVE engine in the Volkswagen 6R Polo GTi may be susceptible to this problem. According to Volkswagen, the number of poorly manufactured chains was in the 'low hundreds'.
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by Carel040 »

Vw polo Gti guy wrote:Well there is no job cards for the previous visits, cause "nothing was found" I have all my service papers but that does not help. I don't even have paperwork for the timing chain replacement. The only thing I have is a receipt for R200 and thats for the fuel they used while testing it. I have the timing chain quote, which I first paid up full in advance before they would even open the engine, then after my bitching I got the repair done and my money was refunded. My problem is the dealer/service manager knows about the issue when I "refreshed his mind". It's not the dealer I have to convince it's VW SA.

VW SA also denied the timing chain claim 3 times, before I slapped them with documented evidence of the model numbers affected with "dodgy timing chains". Only then did they concede and repair it. That's what I'm looking for, some concrete evidence that the Dq200 7 speed DSG box is problematic. Atleast will have some sort of leg to stand and fight on.

They know it's problematic lol, it's just getting them to admit it (which they won't, for obvious reasons), but maybe I can force a good will claim. Ik I won't get it done for free but paying 50000k is better than paying 100000k.

The only thing I have for that time period is a complaint I logged with customer care cause in an attempt to keep me from coming back complaining about that noise they actually stuffed a piece of rag (yes a rag) between the engine management box and the firewall cause thatswhat they thought the noise was. Yeah VW dealerships, fixing problems with a rag. They did apologize profusely though.

Btw. Anyone having timing chain issues with their polo Gti pre 2014, this article eventually got VW to concede and replace my timing chain.

VW Polo with 1.4 Twincharger (TSI) engine: stretched timing chain
In an autobild.de article published in April 2012, a Volkswagen employee admitted that its 1.4 'Twincharger' TSI engine was susceptible to stretched timing chains. According to Volkswagen, worn stamping tools caused:
The holes in the chain links to miss the targeted manufacturing tolerances; and,
Small burrs on the chain links that would cause abrasive wear to the timing chain.
If the timing chain stretched, the change in the engine’s camshaft timing could cause the valves and pistons to collide such that the engine would have to be re-built or replaced. A common symptom of a stretched timing chain is a rattling noise from the engine bay (see video below).

It is understood that the manufacturing defect was rectified for post-2012 1.4 TSI 'Twincharger' engines, though Volkswagen has not identified the production dates or engine codes of affected engines. As such, the 132 kW 1.4 TSI CAVE engine in the Volkswagen 6R Polo GTi may be susceptible to this problem. According to Volkswagen, the number of poorly manufactured chains was in the 'low hundreds'.
Flog it bro buy a tdi cant go wrong bullet proof motor

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted

Well 2 months later and I have my car back. Vw replaced the DSG at no cost to me. Long story short, the gearbox ended up coming from Germany so that took a month. Car is running well again. So it looks like like In the end I did not need to use my saved deposit on a costly repair. Gonna ride it for 2 more months then trade it in early Jan 2019 on the new 2.0L polo Gti. Wish I could get it silver though but white/red/black/metallic blue are the only colors on offer, so it looks like it gonna be white. Oh well alls well that ends well.

Just FYI, anyone considering getting 1.4L polo Gti (obviously second hand*) stay away ....well away from them. They are very unreliable engines and repairs are very costly. I have read stories all over the Internet about them especially about the timing chain/DSG failure and the pre 2013 models that has bad pistons and high oil consumption.

Mine was purchased brand new in 2014 so I had the the revised engine (so I don't have the piston issue) and thought I had escaped the other issues seeing that I had such low millage, but as you can see these listed issues can strike at any time and I went through a timing chain (that's a R22 000 repair job) and a new DSG (R96 000 repair job). The car only has around 50 000km on the clock. Fortunately vw was very kind to me, but others may not be so lucky. So think twice about this model, and if you have one already.......get rid of it asap.
xXx
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 5 months
Car Model: MK1 20V T

Post by xXx »

Dude , I feel your pain . Same thing happened to me . Bought a new one and was the biggest piece of kak ever . Used a ton of oil . DSG box was never right. Was happy to see it go.
Current : 2018 Mark 6 Polo GTI
Ex: : 1994 Citi 1.8T 20 v
Ex : Fiesta ST 200
Ex: Polo vivo GTS
Ex : Polo GTI 1.4 TSI ( Biggest kak ever )
Ex : Gti 6 DSG
Ex : R32
Ex : Gti 5 Manual
Ex 2008 Rox 16V ABF ( Miss that car )
Ex : Gti 4
Ex : VR6 Jetta
Ex : VR6 Golf
Ex : Golf Cti
Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted

xXx wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 pm Dude , I feel your pain . Same thing happened to me . Bought a new one and was the biggest piece of kak ever . Used a ton of oil . DSG box was never right. Was happy to see it go.
Lol I got rid of mine literally last week. Atleast vw gave me a good trade in price. My new polo Gti 2.0l arrives 2morrow. They gave me a 1.0L polo as a curtesy car for the wkend....its Kak slow lol
xXx
Cadet

Post by xXx »

Vw polo Gti guy wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:08 pm
xXx wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:48 pm Dude , I feel your pain . Same thing happened to me . Bought a new one and was the biggest piece of kak ever . Used a ton of oil . DSG box was never right. Was happy to see it go.
Lol I got rid of mine literally last week. Atleast vw gave me a good trade in price. My new polo Gti 2.0l arrives 2morrow. They gave me a 1.0L polo as a curtesy car for the wkend....its Kak slow lol
Congrats , you gonna love it.
Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted

Re: Polo Gti 1.4 Tsi issues. (Don't worry lol it's been fixed and traded in)

xXx
Cadet

Post by xXx »

What a difference hey? I love mine.
PoloRolo
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Model: Golf 7.5 R-Line

Post by PoloRolo »

Congrats on the new ride bud. Glad to see you are faithful to the PGTI brand :hurray: :hurray: . Sad to read up on the issues you had on your previous model, but I'm sure this will be much, much better - Many happy miles.
Vw polo Gti guy
Enlisted

2SCOOPS
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by 2SCOOPS »

Congrats!
Current:
2012 VW Golf 6R DSG
2011 BMW E90 320d M Sport Auto
Ex
2009 VW Golf 5 GTI DSG
2014 VW Golf 7 Gti
2010 Honda Civic Type R - Championship Edition
2011 VW Golf 6 GTI DSG
2003 RunX RSi(RIP) :weep:
1998 Civic VTEC
Shidaan
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by Shidaan »

Congrats. New polo gti, it looks awesome.

For other people who have experienced the same problem with the timing chain I don't think that the defect is limited to the twin charged 1.4 engine in the polo.

My bosses mk6 gti had the same problem (timing chain and dsg gearbox), so did my brothers and cousins facelifted tiguan1.4 tsi (110kw and 90kw) and so did my Scirocco 1.4 (118kw).

All of us experienced this over the past year. Models from 09-13.

Sent from my FIG-LX2 using Tapatalk