Help on choosing a daily/project car? Golf, Polos and Cupras

Windstar
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Help on choosing a daily/project car? Golf, Polos and Cupras

Post by Windstar »

Heya Guys!

So this is my first post quite exciting (although I have been lurking on the thread without being a member for quite some time).

When I used to be in High School and just after I used to drive my folk's VW Golf MK5 2.0 TDI and I really loved that car. I also drove my mom's Golf MK3.5 cabrio in ADY 2.0l N/A and I really enjoyed that car as well (although the ADY is not as good as the ABF it was still a decent engine).

I am planning on buying a new car as an upgrade for my bike (I have had enough of daily riding a bike), between now and the end of the year and I have narrowed my options down to a few, but now it is getting hard to decide.

I am definitely going to mod my vehicle. So far my options are:
- 9n3 Polo TDI Sportline or an Ibiza cupra 1.9 Tdi
- 9n3 Polo GTI 1.8T or Ibiza cupra 1.8T
(in all of the above, my preference goes out to the cupras as I prefer their look, interior, build quality.

And then there is another option and this makes it even more tricky.
Next option would be a Golf MK3 GTI 2 door (now I have been looking everywhere and I cannot seem to find a 2 door in South Africa, did they even bring them here?). I tried googling but also found almost no info.
If I go for this option I will probably still be swapping in a 1.8T from something like a Polo GTI (as I heard the MK4 golf GTI's 1.8 is less reliable than the newer 1.8 polo engine).

I want my build to look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuEGaFKV_KY

I am mostly considering cost (total as well as initial investment cost and also cost to build the car).
But other factors as scarcity (as the only car readily available in the market is the Polo GTI).
Also another factor might be how many grey hairs it will cost me before I have a proper looking, fast and reliable daily.
Also any other factors worth mentioning by you guys are welcome!

I know this matters as it is usually the first question that is going to arise. How many KWs do I want to make? At first I want to keep it stock and then I will slowly begin modding it. End goal would be around 200-220wkw for the diesels and about 250wkw for the petrols.
:driving: Drive on brothers and sisters! :driving:

Thinking as an after-thought the Golf MK3.5 Karrman is also an option but I am not a fan of the cabrio as it feels like a lazy Sunday Drive car and I would have to install a roll cage... I am quite pissed they they stole our Mk2 GTI :bang:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Help on choosing a daily/project car? Golf, Polos and Cupras

Post by Ashveer03 »

Polo tdi any day.. a decent 1 will cost u around 80-100k.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
BdtDSG
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by BdtDSG »

Windstar wrote:Heya Guys!

So this is my first post quite exciting (although I have been lurking on the thread without being a member for quite some time).

When I used to be in High School and just after I used to drive my folk's VW Golf MK5 2.0 TDI and I really loved that car. I also drove my mom's Golf MK3.5 cabrio in ADY 2.0l N/A and I really enjoyed that car as well (although the ADY is not as good as the ABF it was still a decent engine).

I am planning on buying a new car as an upgrade for my bike (I have had enough of daily riding a bike), between now and the end of the year and I have narrowed my options down to a few, but now it is getting hard to decide.

I am definitely going to mod my vehicle. So far my options are:
- 9n3 Polo TDI Sportline or an Ibiza cupra 1.9 Tdi
- 9n3 Polo GTI 1.8T or Ibiza cupra 1.8T
(in all of the above, my preference goes out to the cupras as I prefer their look, interior, build quality.

And then there is another option and this makes it even more tricky.
Next option would be a Golf MK3 GTI 2 door (now I have been looking everywhere and I cannot seem to find a 2 door in South Africa, did they even bring them here?). I tried googling but also found almost no info.
If I go for this option I will probably still be swapping in a 1.8T from something like a Polo GTI (as I heard the MK4 golf GTI's 1.8 is less reliable than the newer 1.8 polo engine).

I want my build to look something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuEGaFKV_KY

I am mostly considering cost (total as well as initial investment cost and also cost to build the car).
But other factors as scarcity (as the only car readily available in the market is the Polo GTI).
Also another factor might be how many grey hairs it will cost me before I have a proper looking, fast and reliable daily.
Also any other factors worth mentioning by you guys are welcome!

I know this matters as it is usually the first question that is going to arise. How many KWs do I want to make? At first I want to keep it stock and then I will slowly begin modding it. End goal would be around 200-220wkw for the diesels and about 250wkw for the petrols.
:driving: Drive on brothers and sisters! :driving:

Thinking as an after-thought the Golf MK3.5 Karrman is also an option but I am not a fan of the cabrio as it feels like a lazy Sunday Drive car and I would have to install a roll cage... I am quite pissed they they stole our Mk2 GTI :bang:
I had a drive in a modded cupra once, first time in a diesel and it was fun, serious torque... Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

I'm biased towards the TDi's, but finding a good unmolested example is tough. They're all in the region of 10 years old now so plan to have some cash in the bank for repairs. Known issues are wonky turbos, injectors go bad and are expensive, and clutches that choose to die after some mods. Don't forget the Ibiza also came in FR which is 4 door and 96kw. Also depending on your age, Polo's are stupidly expensive to insure.

1.8T is probably more reliable and will be a safer bet, but realistically the one to choose if you want over 200kw.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
GTiJoe
Enlisted
Registered for: 16 years 5 months

Post by GTiJoe »

MarshallGTi wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:32 am I'm biased towards the TDi's, but finding a good unmolested example is tough. They're all in the region of 10 years old now so plan to have some cash in the bank for repairs. Known issues are wonky turbos, injectors go bad and are expensive, and clutches that choose to die after some mods. Don't forget the Ibiza also came in FR which is 4 door and 96kw. Also depending on your age, Polo's are stupidly expensive to insure.

1.8T is probably more reliable and will be a safer bet, but realistically the one to choose if you want over 200kw.
Agreed I Have a MK4 TDI with 370K on the clock and still runs like a dream! TDI FTW!!!
It takes many bolts to assemble a car, but only one nut to scatter it all over the road.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

2 door mk3 was never available locally. The only ones you get are imports.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

The TDI/GTi/Cupras are all good platforms to mod with tons of advice and parts readily available.

I know the Audi S3 8L was not one of the options but you should consider it.It's a damn nice platform with all the bells and whistles in stock form and will take minimal mods to get get to your end goal. It's also a 1.8T 20 valve
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

TDI FTW.
madhoshival