1997 audi a4 b5 aeb turbo upgrade...

raymondsinc
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

1997 audi a4 b5 aeb turbo upgrade...

Post by raymondsinc »

Hey guys, iv spent hours and hours trying to find reliable information on this, there is hordes of info on here from folks that have more experience than I do, but it's hard to distinguish between ppl that actually have VS ppl that have too much time on their hands and a lot to say.

My own personal build experience on turbo cars started and ended with a rotary 13bt with a t3t4 hybrid drag car... I used micro tech on this car and a Nissan 200sx with no upgrades except a stand alone dictator management system, to push the standard equipment a bit harder.

None of that experience means anything to me when trying to decide on the best minor upgrade solution to my very tidy and well kept everyday b5.

So here is where I stand right now.

Yesterday what started as a service, turned into a nightmare turbo removal... I would not wish removing this cars turbo on my worst enemy.

The turbo does not look to hot, it's a standard k03-005....
Waste gate flap has a lot of play, valve is loose and not seated in the closed position and the wheels have too much play (I think, not sure what is normal/acceptable)

Iv been keen to upgrade for a while now, and was leaning heavily towards the K03-upgrade that Mr turbo and the likes sell, but now after going through all the pt of pulling the turbo out, I really do not want to go through all the effort to be disappointed by a dud turbo.

What ever happens from here, (must get sorted in the next 2-3 days as it is my daily drive) I would happily post a followup for future reference on the actual outcome.

I do not have the time to go with a bt build, so options are a hybrid K03 or an aftermarket upgrade.

If there are any turbo sellers here that are prepared to sell me a turbo, either Chinese, hybrid or other, or to repair and upgrade and repair mine, pre-advised that I will be posting the results here for future reference. Please let me know.

If you have any good advice for me, suggestions on good turbo guys around jhb pta. please let me know.

Again, I'm not upgrading to a t28, it's just not feasible with the amount of time I have to get this car back on the road.

I AM NOT TRYING TO FIND THE CHEAPEST POSSIBLE SOLUTION EITHER... I'd much rather spend a bit more than have to remove this horrible turbo again.

I read all kinds of conflicting thoughts regarding the Chinese and hybrid turbos, so let's try debunk at least one of them.. Or prove it right... Who knows.

Before bashing me, I really have read all the related posts, I am not upgrading for the sake of upgrading, I must replace/repair the turbo, and am using the opportunity to upgrade a bit.

I don't want the car to look like a Frankenstein, it is a tidy car, I am the first person to work on this car, it has full franchise service history. I would like all the bits that came out to go back in again.

I don't mind spending on software to support an upgrade.
2012 VW Tiguan 2.0 tdi (factory stock)
1998 Audi A4 B5 1.8t (work in progress)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 1997 audi a4 b5 aeb turbo upgrade...

Post by panic-mechanic »

so get a hybrid. Speak to Gaby at Fastec,
https://www.fastecturbochargers.co.za/
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Thanks for the help. I called gaby this morning, very helpful guy and clearly knows his stuff... His shop is a bit full at the moment though, so because I cannot wait a week to get the car back together I ended up dropping the turbo off at Stallion turbos. They could offer me a "k04rs"... But as mentioned previously I am reluctant to buy something aftermarket.... Iv opted to go with an upgrade and repair to my standard turbo. Upgrading the comp wheel and shaving off the shaft on the hot side.....
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Ok. Let's hope all is good.
Last edited by panic-mechanic on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Fair point..... I hope it turns out OK, he is replacing the entire core with the 134 kW version .. machining the comp housing to fit the bigger wheel and thats it... no mod to the hot side (he spoke me out of it, says it just makes the car a bit more laggy)

so next order of business is to get someone to map it.... any suggestions ?
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

seriously though, you got me a bit nervous, should i put my tact in my pocket and tell them not to work on my turbo ?
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

panic-mechanic wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:09 pm Ok. Hope it works out right for you. There is a reason why Gaby is busy and they ain't.. I know of many issues from work they did. Sometimes it is better to wait for something then to rush and do it gain and again and again.
There is a reason why a lot of 1.9 tdi guys only use Gaby.
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

So..... Getting the turbo upgraded slightly was easy to mask as a necessary repair.... Anyone got any advice on how to explain to my wife that a front mount intercooler will ultimately make the car more economical.
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Realize everyone is tired of flogging this donkey, but here is the plan moving forward. Put the car back together tomorrow evening with the bigger "132kW" core. Stallion guarantee the turbo for a year up to 1.6 bar boost... I will never reach anywhere near that mark with standard injectors, coils, intercooler.... But I'm sure I can safely bump it to the 1 bar boost range.

I still feel very conflicted about this whole issue, with more time on my hands the R10k odd could have been better spent towards a decent bt build. But... I said I would log the exact changes and results to prove / disprove guesswork about small turbo mods, so here it goes. I will log everything from here on out. Good or bad, the results VS money spent will be good information posted here for anyone wanting to flog this donkey after me.

In better news, thanks to good feedback from a few members have convinced me to do some software on my 2.0 tdi Tiguan... That's something to look forward too.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Trevor greene 0833095033 can help you with a map ( for the tiguan as well)
And no your wife is right. You will waste money with th front mount.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Turbo is nice and clean and shiny.... Not sore how to load a before after Pic, but the workmanship looks good, and the business end of the turbo is machined nicely. They returned all my old parts, gave me a set of copper gaskets and a vibration report to 17000rpm
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

I contacted Trevor today, I will be in touch with him as soon as it's back together again. Thank you
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Initial thoughts.....
Completely different car low down, plenty torque where there wasn't any before.

Bare in mind, I cannot stab it yet, got to get it tuned first, so I can only comment on the "regular driving rpm and boost range"

Definitely spools up quicker, comes on quite hard if I am pushing any more than just "tickling" the throttle.

I have to wait a week or so before I can tune, so IL check out how it has effected the economy in the meantime.

So still boosting the factory boost pressure (, 5-,6 bar I think) so really looking forward to the new tune with the boost bumped a bit.
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Anyone know if this vehicle runs closed loop ignition ....

i found an old perfect power chip smt6 that i want to use to adjust the fuel and ignition.....seems that perfect did not like the idea of wiring into the ignition on this car... they supply a diagram of a fuel trim only application.

just curious, does that mean that the ignition on this car is closed loop? ie, will the ignition adapt to changes optimally by itself if I up the boost a bit with a boost controller and trim the fuel with a piggy back ?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

what on this living earth is closed loop ignition?. you mean knock control?
yes generally you just need to add some fuel.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

It's my version of what you just said.....
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Hi guys. I am busy building a harness to install a ms3x management system on this car...

Manages to get a complete engine harness with plugs so that I can leave the oem harness in place if I ever decide to sell or go back to standard.

Might still need lots of advice, but for now, can someone tell me what the best way is to handle the evac system... Particularly the n80 and other associated equipment...

Just pull and plug the lot? Or is there another "less permanent solution to the problem?
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Good evening folks.

I am looki g for some advice or a base ignition table for a pretty much stock aeb 1.8t.

The base map that I am working from comes from a big torbo car with large injectors, the timing advance seems a bit too aggressive for my fast spooling hairdryer ko3s
raymondsinc
Enlisted

Post by raymondsinc »

Hi all.

Big (ish) turbo is installed... Still need to manufacture some heat shields to keep the intake, coils, wiring and bonnet safe. But so far so good.

It is time to upgrade the injectors and fuel pump.

I am looking for 1000cc injectors and pump.

Any advise about what works well on these cars and motors would be appreciated.

The car will be running full stand alone, so not concerned about "electrical" compatibility... Just want something that fits in the same position.

Thanks.