Oil in VW Sharan 1.8T vacuum pipe

kurt@global.co.za
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months

Oil in VW Sharan 1.8T vacuum pipe

Post by kurt@global.co.za »

Hi

I'm glad to join the VW Club of SA and am hoping someone can offer me some advice as to my peculiar problem.

I had my VW Sharan 1.8T engine overhauled in January 2017 - rebore, new piston and rings, gaskets, etc. The reason was that I could not start my car one Monday morning and after getting it towed to my regular workshop they said one of the cylinders was badly worn away and after fitting a new set of rings there was too much clearance and so the decision was made to rebore the engine. This is an imported car so finding suitable pistons took a while.

Ever since then it used around 50 pints of oil in one year - one pint per tank of petrol. No smoke and no oil leaks. I made the workshop aware of this.

Before this I only topped up 2 pints of oil in the last 10 years, other than oil replacement during servicing. I would say that the Sharan never ever used oil before it was overhauled.

Recently in March 2018 the turbo packed up and the same workshop stripped it again, and a turbo shop in Germiston re-did the turbo, and the workshop fitted a new set of rings. This was done because I told them there was a metallic sound and a huge sudden loss of power while cresting Krugersdorp Hill on the R28, which only later on turned out to be the turbo, after fault finding was done, (and them being aware of the oil usage).

After discovering the turbo was blown, they found oil in the intake/vacuum pipe from the intake manifold to the turbo. A lot was in there. An engineer from the shop that rebored the engine 12 months before came to have a look to see if he could explain the oil loss and he pointed out the oil in the pipe from the intake manifold to the turbo and said it was probably due to the faulty turbo.

The 4 cylinders were, piston and rings were perfect, but as the engine had been opened we decided to fit new rings again.

Last week one of the vacuum pipes blew and so I took the car in again to be checked out - every time I took my foot off the accelerator there was a loud blowing sound.

In the last 6 weeks, with the second new set of rings, and a rejuvenated turbo, my car has used 6 pints of oil.
The mechanic again found oil lying in the pipe leading from the intake manifold to the turbo, so it can't be the fault of an old worn out turbo.
However they don't know why this is happening. Neither do I.

So, after much money spent, my car has become an oil thief. It just disappears into thin air and no-one knows why.

If I did not love the way this car drives I would have given up long ago.

Please help with any advice.
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Re: Oil in VW Sharan 1.8T vacuum pipe

Post by Reegz »

Welcome to the forum!

There are some good guys here on the forum who can assist you. Check the Raves section - you'll find some names of guys who will be able to sort you out.
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Welcome and enjoy the forum :cool: I will move this post to a Technical section...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

have they checked the turbo return pipe. A semi bocked return will make the turbo leak oil into the intake or exhaust. Was the head redone at all. doe sit smoke at all - either under power or against comprssion.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.