22irwin.mercure
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

20vt randomly dies while driving on freeway

Post by 22irwin.mercure »

Hi guys

This year, I've had a problem that has randomly occurred 3 times (once a month) that I have not been able to find an answer. I have an 2001 A3 1.8T 20v with 182k.

While cruising on the N2 freeway (around 110km/h), the car suddenly dies. The accelerator pedal suddenly does not work, the rpms jolt up and fall down to zero, engine shuts off, red battery light on instrument cluster turns on, power steering doesn't work , but all the electronics seem to work (radio, dashboard lights, etc are still lit up). After slowly pulling over to the side of the freeway, I am able to start the car after giving it 3-6min rest. During this 'rest' I am able to quickly scan the car with no engine faults.

Car is bone stock and was fully serviced at 180k and this issue has always happened with fuel being above half tank.

After reading some forums, some people suggest crank angle sensor (changed [2017] as the fault code came up), engine speed sensor (changed [2016] as the fault code came up) and fuel pump but no definitive solution.

1) I would like to know if this has this happened to anyone before?
2) Is anyone willing to help me this long weekend with a fuel pump test? (I can always hear it prime when I start the car) I am from Durban, Queensburgh

Anybody have any insight into what this might be?
22irwin.mercure
Enlisted

Re: 20vt randomly dies while driving on freeway

Can anyone help? I've changed the fuel pump just now and the cam position sensor and still no luck.

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

change the main pickup for the engine signal in the block . I have seen a few recently that did this.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
22irwin.mercure
Enlisted

Hi guys. The car is back online. Turned out to be a a dead battery after numerous attempts to start it after a month of just sitting. But the issue was a dead fuel pump.

Sent from my m1 note using Tapatalk