BWA Misfire

parsona@sbs.bw
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

BWA Misfire

Post by parsona@sbs.bw »

Hi Guys
I am new to this forum. I have a Jetta MK5 since new with the BWA engine and have had many many experiences. The most recent is a misfire on cylinder 3 that started after a trip to EC a month ago. I was towing a trailer for the first time and was really giving the car hell on the highway from PE to Grahamstown. On arrival I noticed the misfire. The car shakes at idle and it is worse if the aircon is switched on. I have a vag tester and it shows no faults. The measuring blocks (15) show cylinder 3 misfire. I have replaced plugs, coil and injector and I have cleaned the intake valves of gunk. My CAT looks like the mesh is broken but not leaking. Can anyone give me some direction on which measuring block can lead me to the source of this misfire. I have not yet done a leak down test or a compression test because this is only at idle. I still get full exciting power. I am about to replace the rear cam chain and tensioner so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate.

:bang:
Baldwin02002
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk2 GTS
Membership No: missing

Re: BWA Misfire

Post by Baldwin02002 »

I think this might be a mechanical problem. If i were you i will start with compression testing. Then check the crankcase ventilation for blockages together with all the breathing pipes for cracks(one from the block to the head and the the other U shape one. Good luck.
Current:
Mk2 GTS 1.8 --> 2.0 16v MP9 --> Soon to be 2.1 16v MP9 with Throttles
S3 2003 BAM --> Stage 1 with full Exhaust
S4 2004 --> Stock
A3 2010 1.8T Cabrio --> Stock
//////
Previous
Golf Citi 2.0 8v MP9 2007
Jetta 4 V5 10V
Honda CB400 '74