Mo5GTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 GTI

Golf 5 GTI Oil pump conversion

Post by Mo5GTI »

Good day guys

I have a 2008 Golf 5 GTI that has recently suffered from oil pump failure. I have priced the oil pump from VW (R22 050 ex vat). I have heard of a conversion that can be done to these cars where you use a 1.8T oil pump. Does anyone here have any information regarding this, also please inform of the pros and cons in doing this. I have read that its been done overseas but not much information has been gathered.

Thank you
Boost
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: Caddy pickup
Membership No: 1921

Re: Golf 5 GTI Oil pump conversion

Post by Boost »

From what I have heard is that you need to swap out the pump sprocket on your crank for the one that fits on the 1.8T crank. They are press fitted. 1.8T oil pump + chain + chain tensioner is required.
Current: 2008 VW Caddy R-Line 20V BIG T :driving:
2009 CW 9n3 Polo Gti
2012 Holden Captiva 2.2d LX
Ex:
2011 Holden Cruze Equipe
2010 Great Wall V240 Ute
2017 Chev Captiva 2.2d LT daily
2000 Vw Citi 1.6i
2013 GW Audi A3 Sportback 1.8TFSI SE S-Tronic (POS)
2006 Volvo S40 T5
2004 Nissan 350Z Coupe
2000 VW Golf 4 GTI (247wKw @ 1.3bar)
2007 Fiat Grande Punto
1994 Fiat Uno Turbo
1994 Fiat Uno Pacer
Mo5GTI
Enlisted

Post by Mo5GTI »

Thank you. Is there any downside to this conversion?
Ian_F
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: Voetswagen
Membership No: 1846

Post by Ian_F »

Mo5GTI wrote:Thank you. Is there any downside to this conversion?
Yes. If not done properly there are some downsides

Higher oil pressure in the head can cause damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mo5GTI
Enlisted

Post by Mo5GTI »

Do you know of anyone who has done this conversion to their mk5? The guy who is probably going to do mines(if peace of mind is achieved) has said he has done about 16 of these conversions with no comebacks, but given my recent non stop issues with this car and restraint of cash flow I am abit on the uneasy side of things with this conversion. This is my first GTI and I am still learning about these cars.

Thank you.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

yes done a bundle of them. You need the crank pulley, chain, tensioner, pump and pickup(they are sold separate and the plastic cover - called oil restrictor.
Have to drill and tap a hole for the tensioner and the one bolt the pump mounts to.

Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Mo5GTI
Enlisted

Post by Mo5GTI »

panic-mechanic wrote:yes done a bundle of them. You need the crank pulley, chain, tensioner, pump and pickup(they are sold separate and the plastic cover - called oil restrictor.
Have to drill and tap a hole for the tensioner and the one bolt the pump mounts to.

Thank you so much for help its highly appreciated. Can you still use the standard Golf 5 gti oil filter and oil filter housing , and I have read up on the international forum (vortex) that oil capacity will be increased from 5 quarts to 6 is this true?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Use the same filter housing. Yes capacity goes to 6.5l from 5.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Mo5GTI
Enlisted

Post by Mo5GTI »

panic-mechanic wrote:Use the same filter housing. Yes capacity goes to 6.5l from 5.
Just another thought regarding this conversion occurred to me . This conversion basically removes the balance shafts. Whats the downside of not having balance shafts now. I know the good is that you will never suffer from balance shaft failure because its the balance shaft that seizes and causes pump failure ( I stand to be corrected).
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3
Membership No: 1489

Post by Uncle Nunda »

interesting read, tank panic
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You won't even notice the difference. Slightly rougher idle if you are soembody that wants to put glasses of water on top of the engine.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Mo5GTI
Enlisted

Post by Mo5GTI »

panic-mechanic wrote:You won't even notice the difference. Slightly rougher idle if you are soembody that wants to put glasses of water on top of the engine.
Lol I don't think I will be doing that , but thank you so much Sir for your advice and help. If I were up in JHB I would've definitely booked the car in by you and have it sorted out by your hands. Will let you know the outcome once I send the car in and get it back.
Shush25
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by Shush25 »

[quote=panic-mechanic post_id=2548031 time=1515697279 user_id=43]
yes done a bundle of them. You need the crank pulley, chain, tensioner, pump and pickup(they are sold separate and the plastic cover - called oil restrictor.
Have to drill and tap a hole for the tensioner and the

Hi whats the cost to do the oil pump conversion Panic mechanic? Will appreciate the help
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

The problem is that this is not a stand alone conversion. You basically have to tkae the engine apart to do it so so at that point you generally are in for a rebuild.
And this normally gets done after a pump failure occured which means a crank was damaged etc.
so the actual parts JUST for the pump part is around R4k but younare in for around R35k for an engine rebuild
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Shush25
Enlisted

Post by Shush25 »

Ok cool thanks fornthe feedback much appreciated. Can the old oil pump be fixed i.e like a recon
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Generally speaking it's not actually the pump that fails. It's often the balance shafts that wear out the housing and then oil pressure is lost. So some guys have fixed it by removing the shafts and closing the holes with metal billets.
But if it is the pump itself - no - there is no recon. You buy that whole assembly at R25k ish from the agents. Or try your luck with a second hand one.

Sorry - there is just no good cheap news on that whole affair. It is a costly mess.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Shush25
Enlisted

Post by Shush25 »

Mo5GTI wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:24 am Do you know of anyone who has done this conversion to their mk5? The guy who is probably going to do mines(if peace of mind is achieved) has said he has done about 16 of these conversions with no comebacks, but given my recent non stop issues with this car and restraint of cash flow I am abit on the uneasy side of things with this conversion. This is my first GTI and I am still learning about these cars.

Thank you

Hi Mo5GTI how did you end up fixing your oil pump issue?
Shush25
Enlisted

Post by Shush25 »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:46 am Generally speaking it's not actually the pump that fails. It's often the balance shafts that wear out the housing and then oil pressure is lost. So some guys have fixed it by removing the shafts and closing the holes with metal billets.
But if it is the pump itself - no - there is no recon. You buy that whole assembly at R25k ish from the agents. Or try your luck with a second hand one.

Sorry - there is just no good cheap news on that whole affair. It is a costly mess.
Sorry for troubling again whats the disadvantages of of doing the above ? are there any?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Aalso discussed in this same thread. Slight rougness on idle.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Avery
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Avery »

Hi Im new to this posting place but I was wondering if you can help, I been reading up on the oil pump conversion and I was wondering who does it in cape town or could you recommend someone that does a good job at it.

I have a late 2006 Golf GTI, there has been some tuning done to it but nothing major or anything. For the past few months I have been getting the oil light on my car with the BIG stop icon appearing cluster. I have checked my oil some many times but it seems fine. I did a pickup clean but it still comes on.

I have noticed it only comes on when I drive her hard and make the turbo blow off that it wants to tear the exhaust off as I have a full freeflow system with no boxes on. Can you please tell me what could be the problem the moment I drive like a normal human after that the light goes off and never comes on again until I drive hard again.

Any idea? as the information will be much appreciated
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

What oil are you using.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Shush25
Enlisted

Post by Shush25 »

Avery wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:12 pm Hi Im new to this posting place but I was wondering if you can help, I been reading up on the oil pump conversion and I was wondering who does it in cape town or could you recommend someone that does a good job at it.

I have a late 2006 Golf GTI, there has been some tuning done to it but nothing major or anything. For the past few months I have been getting the oil light on my car with the BIG stop icon appearing cluster. I have checked my oil some many times but it seems fine. I did a pickup clean but it still comes on.

I have noticed it only comes on when I drive her hard and make the turbo blow off that it wants to tear the exhaust off as I have a full freeflow system with no boxes on. Can you please tell me what could be the problem the moment I drive like a normal human after that the light goes off and never comes on again until I drive hard again.

Any idea? as the information will be much appreciated
[ I have the same issue same symptons]
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

As panic said, state the oil you guys are using? It's possible that you could be using the wrong oil

Next could be the oil pressure sensor , might be a false alarm - are there any symptoms when the oil light comes on? besides the light itself.

You should hope the above instances is the case, if not then you in for a new oil pump.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Shush25
Enlisted

Post by Shush25 »

I changed the oil from 5W40 Castrol to Shell Helix 10w40 problem persists. I have no other symptoms just the light. Switch off the car than on again an its good to go. Going to change the oil pressure switch next and than see.
Avery01
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months

Golf 5 GTI Oil pump conversion

Post by Avery01 »

I actually used the original oil that was recommended by the book, the 5w40 oil.

I got it the very first time when I used 15w40 oil which to my understanding was to thick. I changed it, cleaned the sump and pickup because of oil light. Switched back to the recommended one but like I said it still went off if I drive hard. The moment I drive normal again the light would eventually switch off and make no sound. I’m currently using 5w30 oil hoping it would help but a week ago it went off again after driving the car hard.

Funny thing if my oil is low I can drive her hard and she won’t complain with the oil light.
So now I’m worried my pump is messed up or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Avery01 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.