Jetta 1.4TSI 90kw loss of power

ravetroll
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Jetta 1.4TSI 90kw loss of power

Post by ravetroll »

I just wanted to check if the 1.4 TSI engine cuts boost at high temperatures.

What happened is that I was on holiday recently, climbing Town Hill above PieterMaritzburg with the car fuly loaded for the holiday but no trailer or roofrack. It was a hot day, maybe 30 degrees tops, and I was cruising up at the legal limit. As we got near the top of the steep section I was in the overtaking lane but running in the car in the left lanes blind spot so I pressed the accelerator to make sure I moved past. What should have been an easy move, took forever and I could sense the car had no more power to give when normally it would accelerate. I tested kickdown, the revs rose to around 5k but the car could not go much faster than 100km/h climbing a gentle hill. I looked at the oil temp and it said 119 degrees. I checked the brakes to see if they were sticking or something like that, but no. We topped the hill and had to slow down into a single lane for roadworks and the oil temp was falling.
When the road cleared the car was back to normal and performed fautlessly ever since. Has anyone else seen this behaviour with this engine?
Ian_F
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Voetswagen
Membership No: 1846

Re: Jetta 1.4TSI 90kw loss of power

Post by Ian_F »

hi ravetroll.

Never encountered that before. also, its very quiet this time of the year on the forum.
Hopefully in the next week or so, it should pick up. and hopefully someone can help you out. have you had the car scanned?
ravetroll
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months

Post by ravetroll »

I have not had the car scanned. Except for that one incident its been running fine. Since it has only happened that once after a long hard and hot climb I was thinking that had something to do with it, more than any particular fault on the vehicle itself. I could well imagine the engine management system killing boost to lower cylinder temperatures as a way of protecting the engine if the temperatures got too high. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows the behavior of the engine management system.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes management will back off the power if there is risk of the engine or gearbox overheating.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.