B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by B_rad »

hostility wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 am Eish 1.4tsi problems.....i Kakked a bit when i bought my 1.4tsi twincharged 2012........with its notorious issues of piston failure......

Symptoms start with lumpy idle, misfire, oil usage and then piston number 3 failure......upon more research VW's software update recall did work, but they will they will come up with every excuse not to fix your car once the piston does go boom.

Then even more research with the UK boys and their Twincharged Cupra's having the exact same issues they found a good software upgrade was the answer, So i chatted to Revo and a stage 1 upgrade had everything firing optimally........I did it just as a precaution, and 2 more mates of mine did it on their 1.4tsi motors too. 3 years in and going strong.......but regardless to all i've mentioned here...its a lucky packet motor for sure.
I have actually heard of guys saying this before - doing the software sorted out the AFR's and helped prevent it (or so I am told).
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

B_rad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am I had this problem on my 2010 A3 1.8TFSI... It's criminal that the dealerships pretend like there isn't an issue.
I ended up trading my car and took a 30k knock on trade.
I was so disappointed tbh. Lost a lot of faith in the brand.
I think i was more disappointing as you had done so much tasty mods on that car.
Such a pity.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

Unobeat wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:31 am
B_rad wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:47 am I had this problem on my 2010 A3 1.8TFSI... It's criminal that the dealerships pretend like there isn't an issue.
I ended up trading my car and took a 30k knock on trade.
I was so disappointed tbh. Lost a lot of faith in the brand.
I think i was more disappointing as you had done so much tasty mods on that car.
Such a pity.
Thanks bud but I was in no position to fork out R50k plus to rebuild it with no guarantee that it will last, and I also couldn't afford to have my car off the road for weeks on end. I do 150km a day and Gautrain/public transport/Uber are not viable options due to location and cost.
rkn
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Membership No: 1268

Post by rkn »

Is this prevalent on a particular engine code or across the range?
Current
2014 Jetta 6 1.4TSI Comfortline
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Avantgarde Silver
EX
2005 Velociti 1.4i Black Magic
83.6KW 186.4NM @ RBTS
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=64053
2007 Jetta 1.9TDI Candy White
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=145040
Jude
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 6

Post by Jude »

Eish, i can relate . Jetta 6 2013 , all four pistons replaced after 28000 km. No 3 piston was undersize the car lost compression. Thankfully was still under warranty. Then 2000 km later intake cracked, replaced by VW under warranty. Twice the timing chain has been done. So far no problems touch wood !
FvE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by FvE »

Took my 2014 1.4Tsi Golf 7 (101 000km) for the high oil consumption test yesterday. Bit disgusted that I had to pay R1700 for the first test. Did anyone else have to pay as well? Have to drive the car now for 1000km and take it back for inspection. Will probably have to pay again.
Average about 1l of oil per 1000km now. VW dealership told me that is normal usage, but the VW owners manual states one pint per 2000km...
It started of with about 500ml per 2000km from around 80 000km but gradually got worse over the following 20 000km.
The dealership mentioned that if they find high oil consumption it will be fixed at goodwill. Not sure yet what % for my account.
ALRoN73
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by ALRoN73 »

All this oil talk i bet USA is watching this thread :lol:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

rkn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm Is this prevalent on a particular engine code or across the range?
Pretty much if it says TSI or TFSI on the engine cover it has a chance. No discrimination here.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
rkn
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Membership No: 1268

Post by rkn »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:26 pm
rkn wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:08 pm Is this prevalent on a particular engine code or across the range?
Pretty much if it says TSI or TFSI on the engine cover it has a chance. No discrimination here.
Thanks Panic, will just have to keep an eye out for the oil consumption
Current
2014 Jetta 6 1.4TSI Comfortline
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Avantgarde Silver
EX
2005 Velociti 1.4i Black Magic
83.6KW 186.4NM @ RBTS
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 11&t=64053
2007 Jetta 1.9TDI Candy White
http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 1&t=145040
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

ALRoN73 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:30 pm All this oil talk i bet USA is watching this thread :lol:
:lol: :lol: Well I didn't trade my Audi in, the USA invaded my home and took it from me due to it's vast supply of 5w40. :(
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

FvE wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm Took my 2014 1.4Tsi Golf 7 (101 000km) for the high oil consumption test yesterday. Bit disgusted that I had to pay R1700 for the first test. Did anyone else have to pay as well? Have to drive the car now for 1000km and take it back for inspection. Will probably have to pay again.
Average about 1l of oil per 1000km now. VW dealership told me that is normal usage, but the VW owners manual states one pint per 2000km...
It started of with about 500ml per 2000km from around 80 000km but gradually got worse over the following 20 000km.
The dealership mentioned that if they find high oil consumption it will be fixed at goodwill. Not sure yet what % for my account.
hey bud , dnt trust that goodwill sh!t, I was told the same thing when the gears started grinding , syncro's were bust . When i took it back to VW to get them to sort it out they said there is no record of them stating they will sort it out on goodwill. I was told i should get it in writing ... SO always get any sort of warranty or goodwill commitment in writing from the dealership...
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

ALRoN73 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:30 pm All this oil talk i bet USA is watching this thread :lol:
**** LOL :lol:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
FvE
Enlisted

Post by FvE »

Jude wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am
FvE wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:07 pm Took my 2014 1.4Tsi Golf 7 (101 000km) for the high oil consumption test yesterday. Bit disgusted that I had to pay R1700 for the first test. Did anyone else have to pay as well? Have to drive the car now for 1000km and take it back for inspection. Will probably have to pay again.
hey bud , dnt trust that goodwill sh!t, I was told the same thing when the gears started grinding , syncro's were bust . When i took it back to VW to get them to sort it out they said there is no record of them stating they will sort it out on goodwill. I was told i should get it in writing ... SO always get any sort of warranty or goodwill commitment in writing from the dealership...
Jude, thank you for the advise. I also had the same issue with the syncro's.
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

This is why I bought another 1.9 tdi.
Jude
Enlisted

Post by Jude »

FvE wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:54 am
Jude wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am
Jude, thank you for the advise. I also had the same issue with the syncro's.
Cool bud, i have been burnt too many times with that no black and white to prove my story. So now I get it all in black and white.
Sad though we buy cars on good faith of a brand and we get shafted in the "end"
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Buy them well out of warranty and long past the point they would have packed up. that way you never have to deal with VW themselves or believe anything about warranties.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Post by Tman21 »

What stops someone from removing oil during the test period?
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Honesty. If they take that motor apart and there is no fault you are footing the bill and you are looking at 90k.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Tman21
VWCSA Member

Post by Tman21 »

True story, I would honestly be interested in their SOP for oil consumption test. How they go about the quantities etc.
#TMAN21
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

Tman21 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:32 pm True story, I would honestly be interested in their SOP for oil consumption test. How they go about the quantities etc.
Not sure if I understand your post correctly, but their policy is pretty simple.
You go to them, they top up your oil to the correct mark, and tell you to come back at the earlier or 1000km or once the oil light has come on.

You then obviously have two outcomes:
- your light has come on in under 1000km which means you have an issue
- you've done 1000km and then they drain the oil, measure the quantity and then conclude thereon.

Either way, your car is STILL chowing oil and Audi SA saddles you with the hefty bill.
Tman21
VWCSA Member

Post by Tman21 »

Thats the obvious bit, in a situation where the magnitude of the outcome could be as hefty as 90K I would want to know exactly how they go about measuring the oil once they drain it.
#TMAN21
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by aomar296 »

Hi FvE

Please advise what is the outcome of your case?

Which dealership did u take it to because I'm in the same boat with my 2013 at 113000km

Please give me some feedback and hope you coming right

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

FvE
Enlisted

Post by FvE »

aomar296 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 pm Hi FvE

Which dealership did u take it to because I'm in the same boat with my 2013 at 113000km

Hi, no problem, will definitely give you feedback.
FvE
Enlisted

Post by FvE »

FvE wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:36 pm
aomar296 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 pm Hi FvE

Hi, no problem, will definitely give you feedback.
Dealership - Barons VW in Durban
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by aomar296 »

Hi FvE

Any updates on your car? Is the dealership willing to cover the cost or VWSA?

VWSA refused to help in any way this week on my car until I authorize the strip and quote for my account