1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Kabir M
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years

Re: 1.4 Tsi Golf 7 - Extremely high oil consumption

Post by Kabir M »

I sent one if the Passats in. The bill is R100 000 and I have an bidvest extended warranty but I don't think they will pay out everything. The car was stripped and there's a lot that is damaged. I believe that is a manufacturing problem and that's why I need everyone who experiences this problem to drop me an email @kabirmangrey@gmail.com because if the warranty says they won't pay then I will take it to the ombudsman. The dealership pretended like my Passats are the only Passats with this problem

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Good luck with that. I hope you have a LOT of money to pay lawyers.
It's less of a manufacturing defect than the fuel we have locally is not high enough octane for those engines.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VAG Fan
Lieutenant
Registered for: 8 years

Post by VAG Fan »

Interesting, that.

The question does arise why VW/Audi are selling those models into a market with no suitable fuel.
Mark R.
- - - - - - - - - -
2004 VW Golf TDI, type 1J, AHF, 317k (2016-current) --- daily
1990 VW Fox, type 16, HM, 304k (2005-current) --- spare runaround
Previous:
1992 Audi 500 SE, type C4, AAR (2001-2020) --- nice while it lasted
1983 VW Golf GTS, type 17, FR (1992-2005) --- most fun car I've ever had
1978 Audi 100 GLS 5E, type 43, WC (1991-92) --- died in the side of a Rekord who cut me off
- - - - - - - - - -
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Guess you'll have to ask them that. I really cannot answer that question. I think they hoped that knock control will simply take care of it. In some cases yes it does. in others -well it doesn't. What would have been better would have been versions of the engines with lower compression. but the cost to produce a special variant would have been ridiculous. Much more than the ones they have had to fix under warranty. The ones that break out of warranty - not their problem.

there was a class action lawsuit in the USA that VW lost - but the conclusion of it still was to only fix the ones that break other than the intended plan of the suit which was a full recall. So in the US if it fails no matter at which km or in warranty or not they will fix it.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

Oil consumption is pretty normal on the newer motors due to a number of factors.
1.Piston to boar clearance
2.director port injection
3.n/a or turbo.
4.breather system etc etc.

Oil consumption of between 500 to 750ml per 1000km is permissible under certain driving conditions. If you look at some cases like audi the pistons fail and do not expand correct when hot. This either creates oil consumption or carbon build up in the ring gland areas so when the piston expands it brakes the ring gland. The 1.4 tsi dual motor had same issue as well on the first models. The new mk7 motor is a complete diff motor and as to oil consumption on them there is different reasons.

Oil consumption test is created on the diagnostic machine and the oil is drained and weighed then either is returned to engine or new correct weight in oil is filled. Depending on relationship or dealer it will be billed to customer or dealer is it is a consumable. When car is returned to dealer oil is removed same test called up and oil is once again weighed. If found to high one the can start to strip and see what has caused it.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
Steel
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Steel »

I have a 2013 model and its eating oil as well. Right after its last service under warranty. Conveniently so. This kind of thing has put me off VW completely. You pay 340k for a car and it cant last past 70k km.
The list of failures on this car is ridiculous.

I have horrible suspension creaking and clanking on the front.
One of the engine mount bolts came loose and stripped itself somehow.
The Turbo actuator makes a horrible rattling sound. (This was fixed with a small clip. As per VW. But noise it back)
There is constant hydraulic lifter tapping (I'm assuming) Also probably from the fact that the oil is always low.

Its just endless with this car. The oil consumption bothers me so much. Time and time again VW just put their head in the sand and aren't interested in my problems.
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

One can fully understand how this lets you feel.
Hassle dealers have to do what VW S.A and Germany says and it is horrible.

Personally I think the newer motors are just too soft and its not just limited to the VW brand.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
Steel
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month

Post by Steel »

And what am i meant to do with this dud of a car? Trade it in at dealer and make a huge lose. Or sell it privately. The only way it will sell privately is if you dont tell the person its eating oil. I couldn't live with myself knowing i was passing on this headache to someone else.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Steel wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm And what am i meant to do with this dud of a car? Trade it in at dealer and make a huge lose. Or sell it privately. The only way it will sell privately is if you dont tell the person its eating oil. I couldn't live with myself knowing i was passing on this headache to someone else.
I know its not fair, but in your case i would simply trade in the car and take the knock.
No point in trying to fight useless VW on this matter as eventually that motor will give up and die.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

This is why I will stick as long as I can to non-turbo cars.
Less complications.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Steel wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:05 pm And what am i meant to do with this dud of a car? Trade it in at dealer and make a huge lose. Or sell it privately. The only way it will sell privately is if you dont tell the person its eating oil. I couldn't live with myself knowing i was passing on this headache to someone else.
This is EXACTLY the predicament I was faced with when selling my car.
I couldn't live with myself knowing that someone else would buy my problem car and sit with a dud.
Ideally I wanted to trade it in at Audi and make it their problem, since they claim the issue is normal, and then happily move on, but that would likely mean that I'd have to get another Audi, and I despise the VAG brand so much at this point due to my issues that I decided **** it and I took the loss.
I lost R80k in 3 years on my car but I couldn't be happier that it's gone.
Everyone has chastised me for buying a Ford, but hey, I've done 5000km in my Ford and it has not used one drop of oil.
Fantastic when you consider I would have used approximately 5l of oil (which equates to R140 a litre if you fill at a Shell petrol station and use their premium oil).

It's criminal that they sell these cars in the SA market. Even if it is a fuel quality issue and not so much the engine that is the cause. If VW can justify not selling the 2 door GTI here in SA for example, due to the apparent lack of a market for it, what makes them think it's fine to sell a POS oil guzzling engine to the market and let their loyal consumers sit with the issue?

Rant over.
aomar296
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by aomar296 »

So are we expected to pay for the strip and quote and then possibly sit with an even bigger problem because then you have no option but to repair, as you don't able to trade car in in that condition?

Simply ridiculous,

VW says 1 liter per 2000km is normal but as the problem gradually gets worst then you are the loser and the one with the problem,

Has anyone got this problem sorted out under goodwill or extended warranty or both?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

Bump

Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Post by Tman21 »

Fuel quality issue really comes up quite often however even if we think our octane is lower in South Africa, we produce world class fuel. Its the processes that gets it to the pump that is a fuckup. Theft, contamination, dilution etc are only a few factors. Its mind boggling to read that places in the States where there are only 91 Octane available, im sure they had oil burners left right and center.

This thread and a few other is the reason I decided to pay a fuel and maint bill instead of a 100K repair bill and opted for the V6. Touch wood it doesnt explode.

Moral of the story in a modern car and time we live in. Get a "trusted" small high throughput filling station and stick to 95 Octane. Best of luck for the oil burner owners.
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Tman21 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 9:20 am Fuel quality issue really comes up quite often however even if we think our octane is lower in South Africa, we produce world class fuel. Its the processes that gets it to the pump that is a fuckup. Theft, contamination, dilution etc are only a few factors. Its mind boggling to read that places in the States where there are only 91 Octane available, im sure they had oil burners left right and center.

This thread and a few other is the reason I decided to pay a fuel and maint bill instead of a 100K repair bill and opted for the V6. Touch wood it doesnt explode.

Moral of the story in a modern car and time we live in. Get a "trusted" small high throughput filling station and stick to 95 Octane. Best of luck for the oil burner owners.
I have seen the process of getting fuel to the pump, it is definitely not the issue with regards to our fuel quality, it is a very tight and controlled process. What happens at the pumps is a different story, there have been many stories of fuel station owners tampering with fuel.

And don't compare US fuel grades to ours, their 91 is closer to what we know as 98, they use a different grading scale.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Post by Tman21 »

@Neuk - FML never to old to learn . . .

"But what it boils down to is an 89 Octane in the US, is actually equivalent to around a 94 octane back home. You also have price discrepancies between fuel grades" - Back home Being South Africa.

Very interesting indeed. It seems like it boils down to MON VS RON

SA octane rating is 93 or 95, this is the RON rating, RON stands for something like Research Octane Number and is used in most parts of the World. However if you compare this to the USA specifications you need to look at the Anti Knocking Index (or something along those lines), to convert the two you need to work of a base. I have found that a ratio of SA 95RON fuel = USA 91 fuel is most used.

Above just to confirm. . .
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21
FvE
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by FvE »

aomar296 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am Hi FvE

Any updates on your car? Is the dealership willing to cover the cost or VWSA?

VWSA refused to help in any way this week on my car until I authorize the strip and quote for my account

Hi Aomar296
I am still busy with the 1000km. Sitting on 700km now.
Any update from your side? Did you authorize the strip and quote?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I never said we have bad quality fuel. i said we have too low octane for these engines. Different thing altogether.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

+1 what panic said.

Modern cars have very high compression motors with crazy amount of boost out the factory - They need proper octane

Has anyone ever personally investigated this oil issue?
Can it be map related? OEM pistons too weak? wrong spec oil used?

VW are a bunch of wanks
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
aomar296
Cadet

Post by aomar296 »

FvE wrote:
aomar296 wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 11:17 am Hi FvE

Any updates on your car? Is the dealership willing to cover the cost or VWSA?

VWSA refused to help in any way this week on my car until I authorize the strip and quote for my account

Hi Aomar296
I am still busy with the 1000km. Sitting on 700km now.
Any update from your side? Did you authorize the strip and quote?
Still undecided? Can't take the risk of sitting with a R100k bill and no car so still driving and monitoring oil

Thanks for updating me

Hope you come right

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

panic-mechanic wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 pm I never said we have bad quality fuel. i said we have too low octane for these engines. Different thing altogether.
Do any of these 'claimed' octane boosters work in this case? :driving:
Pmodi
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 10 months
Car Make: Vw golf 7
Car Model: 2013

Post by Pmodi »

Hi

I'm also experiencing the same problem mine is a 2013 1.2 tsi. Has anyone been assisted vw refuses to take acountability it seems like a factory fault.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Pmodi wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 pm Hi

I'm also experiencing the same problem mine is a 2013 1.2 tsi. Has anyone been assisted vw refuses to take acountability it seems like a factory fault.
Did you read the whole thread?
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Tman21 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:42 pm @Neuk - FML never to old to learn . . .

"But what it boils down to is an 89 Octane in the US, is actually equivalent to around a 94 octane back home. You also have price discrepancies between fuel grades" - Back home Being South Africa.

Very interesting indeed. It seems like it boils down to MON VS RON

SA octane rating is 93 or 95, this is the RON rating, RON stands for something like Research Octane Number and is used in most parts of the World. However if you compare this to the USA specifications you need to look at the Anti Knocking Index (or something along those lines), to convert the two you need to work of a base. I have found that a ratio of SA 95RON fuel = USA 91 fuel is most used.

Above just to confirm. . .
I learn every day, or at least I try to, there is always something that we don't know.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

Care for a read:

90 to 96 kW variants — turbocharger incorporated in exhaust manifold with maximum boost pressure 1.8 bars (26.1 psi),
103 to 125 kW variants — multi-ribbed belt-driven fifth-generation Eaton Roots-type positive displacement supercharger operated by a magnetic clutch integrated in a module inside the water pump, internal step-down ratio on the input end of the synchronisation gear pair, and KKK turbocharger with integrated wastegate connected in series, administrated by a control flap, 2.5 bars (36.3 psi) pressure at 1,500 rpm, front-mounted intercooler (FMIC)

90 to 103 kW variants — 95 RON ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol (ULSP)
110 to 125 kW variants — 98 RON 'Super Unleaded' ultra-low sulphur unleaded petrol (ULSP) - 95 RON may be used, but will result in lower power output

compression ratio: 10.0:1

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Our pump fuel is not enough for these motors. they should detune the ones in SA to prolong it's lifespan.

hence why this is not a factory fault.
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned