G-man_024
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 R

To Flash or not to Flash

Post by G-man_024 »

Houzit guys.

I have searched through the forum and couldn't quite find what I was looking for, so I'm starting this thread. I drive a 2015 Golf 7R. Coming from previously having a 300kw Nissan. So naturally not long after I got the Golf, I started looking to get a little more out of it reliably. Looking to not lose my warranty and maintenance plan I went the plug and play route and fitted a Unichip. Contrary to misconception it is a powerful piece of kit, and no you don't splice into your factory harness. So before you knock it, check this video out first https://vimeo.com/68252061 The Unichip has it's place in the market.

It's performed well whilst Ive had it. The peak gain wasn't huge, but the gains on other parts of the RPM range were great, and it gave me a much broader power-band and I have 5 maps set. It does make less than a stage 1 flash, but it was mapped by Dastek and they not the best for mapping turbo petrol vehicles. Think my Golf was their first Golf 7 R. Also whilst nothing is completely undetectable to VW I can say that I have done a warranty claim on a mechanical failure in the rear diff with 4 trips to VW to do diagnostics and test and one service all whilst running the Unichip without any detection. But I know VW can now apparently detect plug and play chips. I heard VW now do an online diagnostic so VW Germany can pick up on any flashes, and some Piggy back units. I'm just not sure if they do this for services as well or only for warranty claims. Luckily for me I went undetected thus far.

I don't expect VW to foot the bill if something breaks that is directly related to modifications. I am just bothered by anything unrelated breaking, or something related like a turbo that reaches it's life expectancy then fails. In that case I wouldn't want VW to reject covering the repair just because they picked up software :deadhorse:

All this aside I want more out of my car so I'm faced with 3 choices. Baring in mind I do have a warranty and an extended auto motion VW maintenance plan I want to keep in tact.

My first choice is keep the Unichip, get a downpipe, intake and remap (3 maps)
Second choice is stage 1 DSG and ECU flash.
Third is Intake and Stage 1 Flash.

all 3 come to more or less the same price. So the question I put out to my fellow dubbers is, which one? :crazy:

I know the flash will control the ECU a lot better than any plug and play. But my only concern is that VW will detect it.
Current:
2015 Golf 7 R
Cosmetic mods, Unichip

Previous
300rwkw Nissan 200sx
RB25DET modded to hell
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Re: To Flash or not to Flash

Post by smitbrandon »

**** finally someone who has more or less the same scenario and questions as me but just asked it way more accurate than I could possibly do. Thanks G Man, I will be waiting in anticipation with you on a "valid" answer.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by madracer21 »

Sweet and Short.
Flash + Warranty Claim = End of Warranty

There have been cases whereby some with a flash tune, have had the warranty remain intact for unrelated items.
But that is hit and miss, not worth the risk.

Try a JB4 + Intake + DP.
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

What's a JB4?

G-man_024
Enlisted

Post by G-man_024 »

Thanks madracer21

As I already have the Unichip it would be a waste for me to go for a JB4. They both essentially do the same thing. Nice thing with the Unichip is it's much easier to unplug and re-plug when it goes in for a service. No tools or jacking up the Golf R needed to get to that pesky bottom plug... As the one end of the Unichip's wiring harness plugs straight into the ECU, and the other end into the engine harness.

Also remapping the unichip with 3 maps is R3200. Much cheaper than ditching it for a JB4.

If I go either intake + flash or ECU + DSG flash, I'll sel the Unichip.

If I keep the Unichip I can go intake and DP and remap for the same price as the other 2 options.

The problem is which option is best...
Current:
2015 Golf 7 R
Cosmetic mods, Unichip

Previous
300rwkw Nissan 200sx
RB25DET modded to hell
smitbrandon
Enlisted

Post by smitbrandon »

*and the intensity of the suspense grows*

THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

You're a strong, independent woman who don't need no warranty.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Simple, buy a faster car with a warranty/maintenance plan.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore
Registered for: 14 years 10 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3
Membership No: 1489

Post by Uncle Nunda »

G-man_024 wrote:Thanks madracer21

As I already have the Unichip it would be a waste for me to go for a JB4. They both essentially do the same thing. Nice thing with the Unichip is it's much easier to unplug and re-plug when it goes in for a service. No tools or jacking up the Golf R needed to get to that pesky bottom plug... As the one end of the Unichip's wiring harness plugs straight into the ECU, and the other end into the engine harness.

Also remapping the unichip with 3 maps is R3200. Much cheaper than ditching it for a JB4.

If I keep the Unichip I can go intake and DP and remap for the same price as the other 2 options.

i really doubt the unichip is better than the JB4
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Uncle Nunda wrote:

And the OP has already stated he thinks that Dastek isn't the best at mapping turbo petrol vehicles.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

Neuk wrote:Simple, buy a faster car with a warranty/maintenance plan.
Dude, its a 7R, there isn't anything this side of a bar that is faster.
八拾六
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

SemiColon wrote:
Neuk wrote:Simple, buy a faster car with a warranty/maintenance plan.
Dude, its a 7R, there isn't anything this side of a bar that is faster.
Yeah, probably only a GTR Track Pack but then you'll question the turbo's.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore

Post by Uncle Nunda »

Neuk wrote:
Uncle Nunda wrote:

And the OP has already stated he thinks that Dastek isn't the best at mapping turbo petrol vehicles.
yes i saw that nicolaas, talking about the parts in bold.
2nd hand JB's can be found for good prices that alrady have preloaded maps if im not mistaken.
if he can sell the unichip and get the JB for the same price why not?
G-man_024
Enlisted

Post by G-man_024 »

Uncle Nunda wrote:

Any chip is only as good as it's tuner. More people can tune JB4.
But in the end they both do the same thing.
Watch this and decide for youself. :popcorn:
https://vimeo.com/68252061

The Unichip
http://www.unichip.us/system/uploads/as ... xbfuel.jpg

Does look more tune-able than JB4
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/attachmen ... 1497817091

Both do fueling, timing, closed boost control, EGT control, multimaps, methanol/nitrous control, etc etc.

But it's easier to "plug and play" with the Unichip as it plugs straight into the ECU as opposed to plugin into a few sensors,
including that pesky lower boost pipe sensor.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... G_0918.jpg

But all that aside. JB4 has been more tried and tested, and more people can can tune them as opposed to Unichip. But... It would be a waste for me to go from one Piggy back to another as they both do the same in the end.
Id rather get the Unichip re-mapped by someone that is reputable and rather use the funds for intake and DP instead of wasting it to switch to another piggy back.

Or use the funds and go ECU+DSG flash or ECU flash and intake.

Ah the choices :bang:
Current:
2015 Golf 7 R
Cosmetic mods, Unichip

Previous
300rwkw Nissan 200sx
RB25DET modded to hell
Uncle Nunda
Post Whore

Post by Uncle Nunda »

G-man_024 wrote:
Uncle Nunda wrote:

Any chip is only as good as it's tuner. More people can tune JB4.

The Unichip

Both do fueling, timing, closed boost control, EGT control, multimaps, methanol/nitrous control, etc etc.

But it's easier to "plug and play" with the Unichip as it plugs straight into the ECU as opposed to plugin into a few sensors,
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... G_0918.jpg

But all that aside. JB4 has been more tried and tested, and more people can can tune them as opposed to Unichip. But... It would be a waste for me to go from one Piggy back to another as they both do the same in the end.
Id rather get the Unichip re-mapped by someone that is reputable and rather use the funds for intake and DP instead of wasting it to switch to another piggy back.

Or use the funds and go ECU+DSG flash or ECU flash and intake.

Ah the choices :bang:
you say all of this

"Any chip is only as good as it's tuner. More people can tune JB4.

The Unichip

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt31 ... G_0918.jpg"

but then say this
"JB4 has been more tried and tested, and more people can can tune them as opposed to Unichip."

then back to his
"But... It would be a waste for me to go from one Piggy back to another as they both do the same in the end.
Id rather get the Unichip re-mapped by someone that is reputable and rather use the funds for intake and DP instead of wasting it to switch to another piggy back."

so it would seem you have already answered your own question.
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

You do know that an intake and downpipe does the same to the warranty as a ECU flash right?
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
G-man_024
Enlisted

Post by G-man_024 »

G-spot wrote:You do know that an intake and down pipe does the same to the warranty as a ECU flash right?
This is true...
But if the dealer doesn't report it... VW wont know about it.
But if the dealer plugs your ECU into that online diagnostic and the ECU isn't aware of the DP and Intake because the Piggy back is lying to it... VW won't know either. Or at least I would hope :grin:

But the flash is the same. If the dealer doesn't report it, VW wont know about it.
But the online diagnostic will pick it up.

If I knew the dealers only do the online diagnostic purely with warranty claims and not services, and did offline error code checking for services. Then I'd go flash and sit with two choices instead of 3.
Current:
2015 Golf 7 R
Cosmetic mods, Unichip

Previous
300rwkw Nissan 200sx
RB25DET modded to hell
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Uncle Nunda wrote:
Neuk wrote:
Uncle Nunda wrote:

yes i saw that nicolaas, talking about the parts in bold.
2nd hand JB's can be found for good prices that alrady have preloaded maps if im not mistaken.
if he can sell the unichip and get the JB for the same price why not?
Who knows, he is worried about warranty and maintenance plan but is considering an ECU flash and hardware mods, which is an oxymoron of idea's.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Ian_F
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: Voetswagen
Membership No: 1846

Post by Ian_F »

MarshallGTi wrote:http://www.oettingersa.com/

/end
This. From Stage 1 to Stage 3 with 400-500 HP on demand with your warranty intact?

And no, it wont take 2 years for the clever bugger who wants to mention it.
G-man_024
Enlisted

Post by G-man_024 »

Ian_F wrote:

/end
This. From Stage 1 to Stage 3 with 400-500 HP on demand with your warranty intact?

Now this is interesting...
I see why the warranty is retained. They very conservative with the tuning. Especially the torque. Looks like they run lower torque gains than other flashes.

But this is still a good option.
Current:
2015 Golf 7 R
Cosmetic mods, Unichip

Previous
300rwkw Nissan 200sx
RB25DET modded to hell
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

if warranty is such a big concern, its your only option...
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

MarshallGTi wrote:if warranty is such a big concern, its your only option...
Which is why they can charge what they charge.
Ian_F
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 11 years 11 months
Car Model: Voetswagen
Membership No: 1846

Post by Ian_F »

G-man_024 wrote:
Ian_F wrote:

/end

I see why the warranty is retained. They very conservative with the tuning. Especially the torque. Looks like they run lower torque gains than other flashes.

Shop 7R makes 370wkw and 600+NM
Not sure how conservative that is on stock motor and clutches.
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

Ian_F wrote:
G-man_024 wrote:
Ian_F wrote:

/end

Shop 7R makes 370wkw and 600+NM
Not sure how conservative that is on stock motor and clutches.
Faaaaaaaaar from warranty safe as well