ob wan
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1 2.0 16vT
Membership No: missing

Re: To cone or not to cone ??

Post by ob wan »

goes without saying, if you have the recipe right, it will taste like grandma's bobotie......
05 G5 Gti (ex)
97 LSvtec (ex)
05 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6
Mk1 velo 2.0 16v...Turbo
AirborneZA
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 10 months
Car Model: PASSAT B6 2.0 TSI

Post by AirborneZA »

It's been fun for a while but I reckon I'll go back to the stock box with BMC or similar filter .... might at the most do a wee little swiss cheese mod on the passenger wheel side and the front behind the grill (after checking where the vents are) on the the stock box ..... after doing some research I found that unless you have a proper CAI and some sort of mapping, the cones make a nice noise but that's about it. Butt-on-seat test says it's a bit more responsive in the low to mid range but wanting to hear the thing the whole time is pushing the mpg up !! Hahahaha .... erm ... anyways. Thanx for the inputs. now for my next mission impossible question ..... I smells a new topic soon.
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

Stock filter and box in place with 2 additional 4cm holes done on wheel well side .. again, but-in-seat test says just that little extra air is making mid-range a bit more useful, and a ever so slight deeper intake sound. Will look at getting the DP done a bit later, and maybe go UNICHIP as well ....
JasonCPT
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 1.8T

Post by JasonCPT »

AirborneZA wrote:Stock filter and box in place with 2 additional 4cm holes done on wheel well side .. again, but-in-seat test says just that little extra air is making mid-range a bit more useful, and a ever so slight deeper intake sound. Will look at getting the DP done a bit later, and maybe go UNICHIP as well ....
You want a Unichip on a TFSi?

2004 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - Atlas Grey
FK Automotive | Forge | Jaylan Performance | Zeetech Customs | VAGAS | Ratchet Garage
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

JasonCPT wrote:You want a Unichip on a TFSi?
Guess I'm about to find out why I do not want a unichip on a TFSI ?
smitbrandon
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by smitbrandon »

AirborneZA wrote:
JasonCPT wrote:You want a Unichip on a TFSi?
Guess I'm about to find out why I do not want a unichip on a TFSI ?
Now you got my attention too Image

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

JasonPT ...... Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooewieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - we're all sitting here, popcorn at the ready. Please advise why the UNICHIP is a no no on the TSi, and if possible, which alternative to consider ?
MouseGTI
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 6 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B8 2.0Diseasel

Post by MouseGTI »

AirborneZA wrote:JasonPT ...... Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooewieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - we're all sitting here, popcorn at the ready. Please advise why the UNICHIP is a no no on the TSi, and if possible, which alternative to consider ?
Get an ECU remap. APR, CPI, STO, MRC, REVO, RK, etc...anything but a unichip on the TFSI. The ECU is more than capable of doing what you may need.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Ex:
White '07 Polo GTI 9n3 - Stock
Black '07 Polo GTI 9n3 - 113fkw 234nm stock -> 153kw 277nm chooned
Silver '07 Slowdi A4 B7 1.8t - w/ T3T4 powers

Current:
Green '16 Kawasaki Z300 - 28kw :crazy:
Blue '15 Yamaha MT-07 - 55kw :lol:
Blue '13 B8.5 A4 2.0TDI - 130kw :driving:
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

OK cool .. thanx.
ob wan
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Model: MK1 2.0 16vT

Post by ob wan »

AirborneZA wrote:JasonPT ...... Kooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooewieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee - we're all sitting here, popcorn at the ready. Please advise why the UNICHIP is a no no on the TSi, and if possible, which alternative to consider ?
the time it takes the tuner to properly setup a dastek unichip, you would have to replace the motor atleast 3 times before the "map" was ready....
i used to work for a reputable dastek unichip installer, had one in my car, took it out, look at it every night whilst contemplating every mistake i made in my life...

(this is my personal experience and opinion of and with the product and disclaim myself completely from it)
05 G5 Gti (ex)
97 LSvtec (ex)
05 Ford Ranger 4.0 V6
Mk1 velo 2.0 16v...Turbo
Rourke
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by Rourke »

Hi There

I cant seem to find it . Did you mention what car is this for?

Cheers
Shagwaggon
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 2 months

Post by Shagwaggon »

Sorry to hijack Gents but I thought I'd post here rather than starting a new thread about this dreaded cone topic. :hijack:

So the 1996 caddy I just purchased came with the K£N cone filter.

I want to go back to stock and was curious if anyone in cape town area had one lying around or knows someone with spares?

Would have checked classifieds but I can't access them.

Spoke with GW they have stock one with Air filter but theyll have to order it for me for R350 .

If anyone has one laying around for the 1600 carb caddy / citi I'll rather clear up some space in your garage and give you some moola :cool:

Thanks in advance