MK4 GTI Alarm problem

El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

MK4 GTI Alarm problem

Post by El Toro »

Hi guys. I need help with alarm issues on a MK4 Gti. A buddy of has a MK4 Gti and the alarm keeps arming itself when the car is switched off. Even if one of the doors are open and key out ignition, the alarm still arms itself. Has become a problem coz he locked his key in the car twice this month. What could be the problem and why is this happening. Any recommendations on how to fix this issue. Any help and info would be highly appreciated.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Re: MK4 GTI Alarm problem

Post by THANAS »

Door lock module most likely.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Is there any way to bypass ithe and still have the alarm working. Is there something that can be done in vagcom?
Jet Li
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Membership No: 3103

Post by Jet Li »

It must be frustrating, it can be many things and I have been through that myself.

Does your remote lock/unlock the car? Because if you unlock manually by the key, you have to turn the ignition on within few seconds otherwise the alarm will go off. Try lock/unlock with the key itself and see if it helps.

Like THANAS mentioned it can be a door lock module. Does the fuel pump turn on when you open the driver door? Does the door chime sound when you leave the key in the ignition and the door is open ? Just test to see if everything around the driver door works normal, removing the key from the ignition should also unlock the door. All other doors and the boot you can check using the interior light to see if all is well.

You may also check the Comfort Control Module under the steering which can also make the alarm to malfunction.

Vagcom should be able to give you all errors that are relevant. Check mine below. Good luck

01134 - Alarm Horn (H12): No Signal/Communication

Possible Symptoms
## Anti-Theft Alarm sporadically triggered

Possible Causes
## Fuse(s) faulty
## Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Alarm Horn (H12) faulty
## Alarm Horn (H12) faulty
and

00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220): Implausible Signal

Possible Symptoms
## Door Locks not working properly

Possible Causes
## Wiring/Connectors from/to Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) faulty
## Voltage Supply for Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) faulty
## Door Lock Mechanics are stiff/partially seized
## Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) faulty

Possible Solutions
## Check Wiring/Connectors from/to Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
## Check Voltage Supply for Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)
## Check Door Lock Mechanics/Operation
## Check Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220)

00928 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220): Incorrectly Equipped

Possible Symptoms
## Door Locks not working properly

Possible Causes
## Incorrect Door Lock installed

Possible Solutions
## Check Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Driver Side (F220) ## Check Door Lock Part Number
'09 8P S3 Sportback (MT)
'10 B8 S4 V6T (DSG)
'15 6C GTi (MT)
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Thanks for the reply. This will certainly help. Think I will try to remover the door lock module on the driver side door and check there are no dry joints.
Mlungupokl
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk4 TDi

Post by Mlungupokl »

Hi,

have you won yet?
I have had the same issue on my mk4 tdi.
Its usually door locks.
To temporarily bypass the issue remove the fuse for the CCM (comfort control module) but that will leave you without central locking, alarm, interior lights, door chime when lights are on and the lights at the bottom of the doors, but you can open and lock the car with the key in the drivers door.
Before you do that however check if any of the door check lights (the ones that usually light up when you open the door) stay on all the time or dont come on when you open the door. Even if you have an "open door" light on the cluster. This will help you narrow down which door lock module is faulty if you dont have a scanner.
This is a common issue with the MK4's. the soldering on the PCB's inside the door lock module fail over time. new locks are k*k expensive from the agents. I imported new ones over ebay.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Thank for that. I figured it is the door lock modules but haven't had time to strip it down and check the solder joints. Hopefully will have some time this weekend to check it.