Bad Ash
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

2.0TFSI HELP...

Post by Bad Ash »

Hi Guys

So my car (08 Audi S3 8P) suddenly lost power. Boost came in late and felt low. 1st thought was that maybe a Boost pipe came loose. Checked all pipes from turbo to throttle body. Found pipes oily inside but no real pooling of oil. Assembled and scanned and found no recorded dtc's.
Logged 1 run(3rd gear) boost specified vs actual. Found exactly what I felt car came into boost late down the rpm range. After the 1 run the idle became erratic. Scanned again found 1 dtc.

004243 Bank 1, Fuel Measuring System 2
P1093 -008- Malfunction

Have since logged Boost/Fueling.
Getting correct fuel pressures on low & high fuel systems. Lambda readings are good as well. Boost coming in late. But during this log the car started to jerk upto about 3000 rpm and then smoothed out. Logged the car at idle and getting misfires all over the place but mostly on cylinder 3. Replaced fuel filter, plugs and swapped out coil packs but still getting misfires and still favouring cylinder 3.
If I disconnect the MAF then the idle becomes normal and stable.
Looked at the MAF readings during log and they seem within spec.
And so did the MAP readings.
I've since checked the pcv system, dv, cam follower, vacuum pipes, boost pipes again
All are in good order.

I'm no mechanic and basically diy my own car where I can.

Any thoughts?
''I spent alot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered...''
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2.0TFSI HELP...

Post by panic-mechanic »

(read with mexican accent) Google she is your friend.......
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... 093/004243
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:(read with mexican accent) Google she is your friend.......
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... 093/004243
Google she my friend long time...
That's how I found this lot. :D

No but seriously I've already done intensive research on this fault code. And haven't found any concrete solutions except for the lucky few that actually found an issue in the fueling system.

My LP fuel side I'm getting 5bar pressure.
My HP fuel side I'm getting 50bar at idle upto 130bar during a run. The specified and actuals are proportionally the same. Lambda fluctuates between 0,9 - 1,2 which sounds like the air/fuel ratio is within spec.
''I spent alot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered...''
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

software?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:software?
Good question. Honestly no idea. I was told that if I go to 'Advanced ID' in vcds it will state if the ecu has been flashed. I haven't confirmed if this is correct.
I've got the car 4 years from SMD. It came with cold intake, downpipe and exhaust so it is likely possible to have software.
I left the car with a mechanic on Tuesday and he so far has told me that the coil packs are faulty and the intake is damaged at the atom rubber.
I think he is shooting in the dark because I swapped out the coil packs with a mates from a 6R and it made no difference. And the MAF is far past the atom so a leak by the atom also is not going to cause problems except sucking in some hot air.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Don't forget to have a look at the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. If that is not right it might be that the hpfp is having a much harder job keeping thenpressure supplied and that could trigger the fault.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:Don't forget to have a look at the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. If that is not right it might be that the hpfp is having a much harder job keeping thenpressure supplied and that could trigger the fault.
It has been a suspect. Just not sure how to test it. I'm relying on the sensor readings for now that me the regulator is alright.

The mechanic told me today that he is replacing the intake manifold as it is warped. I hope this is the case and the car is sorted but it looks like he is carrying out a trial and error method which I could have done. If this doesn't sort it out then I'm gonna take the car from him.

Next task to find someone with a car like mine that's willing to let me swap out some of the sensors & see if it's not sensor related before I end up replacing everything under the hood only to find a collapsed vacuum hose :P ...

Thanks for the assistance.
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

I had this error as well but have all the failed parts replaced,dv, coil packs.... Turned out that the bank 1 error on my car was a failed O2 sensor (one on the turbo). Its a inexpensive check, unplug it and see if your car runs better or not.

R4500 from agents for both sensors. Warped intake manifold sounds suspect.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

Have since found the intercooler leaking. Will update this thread when car is sorted. Thanks guys.
Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:Don't forget to have a look at the fuel pressure regulator on the rail. If that is not right it might be that the hpfp is having a much harder job keeping thenpressure supplied and that could trigger the fault.
So I've finally got my car sorted. Coilpacks, intake manifold and intercooler replaced. Next time im going to do proper boost leak testing. It's boosting better then before and feels very strong.

There is one thing that I've noticed though. When I accelerate at idle... say upto 5000rpm... I leave the accelerator the rpm drops slowly. I remember it use to be quick before.

Could this be a sticky throttle body or perhaps throttle body adaptation needed?
The intake manifold was replaced so the throttle body would have to have been moved to the new manifold. I know the mechanic didn't do throttle adaptation.
Will log the car and do adaptations this weekend so just thought I'd get your opinion on how to diagnose this.
Thanks in advance.
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Sounds like a possible vacuum leak.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Cars that use drive by wire does auto adaption every time you switch it on.
If it is a manual car make sur the clutch switch is working. You can check it in vagcom.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Bad Ash
Cadet

Post by Bad Ash »

panic-mechanic wrote:Cars that use drive by wire does auto adaption every time you switch it on.
If it is a manual car make sur the clutch switch is working. You can check it in vagcom.
Hi again
What is the purpose of the clutch switch?
And where is it situated? By the clutch pedal?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

The purpose of the clutch switch is for the management to know you have stepped on the clutch.
It uses it for a) to cancel cruise/speed control.
B) drops idle quicker between gear chances otherwise it tends to hang on to them.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10