MK7 Going Out of Service Plan Soon

Eathon
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years

MK7 Going Out of Service Plan Soon

Post by Eathon »

Hi all
My mother has a late 2014 Golf Mk7 1.2TSI Trendline on 87 940[km] I encouraged her to keep it and rather pay it off.
My question is with the service plan is ending at 90 000[km] what would be the most cost effective thing to do;

*Extend the service plan ( how far can it be extended? and at what cost)
*Let plan run out and pay for the services and inspections as they come

Side note 90 000[km] in three years was bit much however I'm currently driving the car putting on a lot less kilos per day, as we switched cars for the remainder of the year ( reason: Vivos are stolen like hell in Potch)

Thanks
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: MK7 Going Out of Service Plan Soon

Post by Neuk »

I wouldn't bother extending if all it has is a service plan, take the monthly installment that was being paid, put it in a savings/investment/rainy day account and draw on it as and when needed to cover services. If you are looking at extending a maintenance plan or an aftermarket warranty, I would chat to your local VW dealership to see what options you have and go from there.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Wolf Mk2 16V
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

Post by Wolf Mk2 16V »

I got an extended warranty from Innovation Group, had to replace the radiator on my 7, no qualms, no ****, they just paid!

If you get it before your VW warranty expires they cover almost everything 100% with no co payment or insured amount. It works out to about R260 a month. The warranty is also transferable when you sell, I think it will help residual value a lot!

There are two major expenses heading your way - cambelt and DSG (if it is a DSG) normal servicing is not more expensive than other cars - oil service was R1090 at 75000km (still under service plan) - I am getting ripped of to the tune of R1800 -R2500 on my NP200s in comparison!
2015 VW Golf Gti
1990 Golf GTi 16 Valve Executive
1987 Golf GTS
1993 Citi Golf Designa 1800
2015 VW Move Up!
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Neuk wrote:I wouldn't bother extending if all it has is a service plan, take the monthly installment that was being paid, put it in a savings/investment/rainy day account and draw on it as and when needed to cover services. If you are looking at extending a maintenance plan or an aftermarket warranty, I would chat to your local VW dealership to see what options you have and go from there.
:iagree:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Eathon
Enlisted

Post by Eathon »

Thanks for the replies guys we will be exploring both VW and aftermarket warranty options just for peace of mind. thanks again
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Eathon wrote:Thanks for the replies guys we will be exploring both VW and aftermarket warranty options just for peace of mind. thanks again
:cool: :cool:

Oh btw
Welcome to the forum :smile:
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Eathon
Enlisted

Post by Eathon »

Unobeat wrote:
Eathon wrote:Thanks for the replies guys we will be exploring both VW and aftermarket warranty options just for peace of mind. thanks again
:cool: :cool:

Oh btw
Welcome to the forum :smile:
Haha Thanks have to admit been on a few years just reading posts
:geek:
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by madracer21 »

I bought a Mastercars warranty from VW Edenvale which they advised works the same as factory warranty.
2years / Unlimited Mileage for R12,000

Think they work out the price at 3% of the vehicle purchase price at new.
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Comparing Warranty and service plans :crazy:

I'd get the maintenance plan :oops: :hug: