Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: PASSAT B6 2.0 TSI

GTi Mk7 air duct mod for Mk5/6 ?

Post by AirborneZA »

Hi there

Just saw a pic of the GTi Mk7 air duct:

Wonder if anyone has ever tried doing similar custom mod in terms of length for the Mk5 or Mk6 Golf/Jetta/Passat ?? With some creative Dremmeling you should be able to open up a second intake vent on the "left" side of the grill - just wonder how you would join it all up to go into the airbox ??
AirborneZA
Cadet

Re: GTi Mk7 air duct mod for Mk5/6 ?

Post by AirborneZA »

For comparison, Mk6 Golf intake:

AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

DAMM MY ADULT ADHD !!!! O look - squirrel !!! Erm .... anyways. This is now tickling me to the point of being driven insane ... maybe someone can help.

- Are the MK5 and Mk6 airboxes the same ? Not internally, but same mounting points, inlets point, outlet pipes, etc ?
- Is there a difference between a GTi airbox and a "standard" airbox (Mk5/6/7)
- BIG ONE - are the mounting points on the MK7 air box the same as the mk5/6 ?
- Another BIG ONE but maybe easier, are the top portions of the Mk7 and Mk5/6 inter-changeable ??
- Where's the MAF gone to in the MK7 ?? See it's no longer "in-line" as the mk5/6 was ? If the answer to question 4 is yes, it's a non-event. Image below of missing MAF

So assuming the top half of the Mk5/6 fits the bottom half of the Mk7, I'm pretty sure it would be easy to MacGyver the Mk7 air duct into place and then cut new inlets into the Passat's grill ...
THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

I think you need to look at a few more pictures of a Mk5 intake/engine cover.
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

I see your point .. mk7 is a wee bit larger than the Mk5

Mk5
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

So stock air box to stay in place ..... but stock air duct to be stretched the way I stretch when I see a hot redhead with tat ..... erm, sorry. Drifted off there for a while.

Bottom line I guess: do you think that building some sort of hybrid mk7 air duct/mk5 air box mixture will be worth it ? Even it's just for sh1ts and giggles ?
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

What would be the goal of doing this? Seems a bit pointless to me TBH

Also, Again, You need to look at a few more pic of mk5's
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
turbowheelchair
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf MK5 2.0 TFSi

Post by turbowheelchair »

im confused??? The Mk5 airbox is the engine cover there is no box there in that space. am I missing something?
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

G-spot wrote:What would be the goal of doing this? Seems a bit pointless to me TBH

Also, Again, You need to look at a few more pic of mk5's
Goal would be to have a larger air intake area, as opposed to the 15x2cm postbox slit my car currently has ....
turbowheelchair wrote:im confused??? The Mk5 airbox is the engine cover there is no box there in that space. am I missing something?
I've seen those engine cover/air box units (I think) you are referring to ... the last pic I posted is what my Passat air box setup looks like. I might have added to the confusion by (wrongfully so) assuming that the Mk5 and Passat B6 airbox are the same.

So, with that said:

It seems like the Mk6 Golf/Jetta/Passat (B7) has the same air box setup as the Passat B6 (which I have) - if the top end of the Mk6/Passat B6 airbox fits onto the bottom end of the Mk7 Golf/Jetta/Passat (B8) airbox, I would then possibly try to change the intake duct to the Mk7 unit to (hopefully) increase the air intake area via the front grill ....
turbowheelchair
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf MK5 2.0 TFSi

Post by turbowheelchair »

I don't think that ramming air into the intake will make much difference, I may be mistaken but the turbo creates a vacuum on that and will effectively draw as much air as it can through that letter box sized opening. unless you've upgraded the turbo. im sure that grill and intake was engineered to have more than sufficient air flow,
I remember reading a thread from a guy that tried out different intakes on a dyno, and the original was not that far off compared to the aftermarket performance intakes with regards to temps and flow.

so to be completely honest, I think changing the intake will be an act of futility
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

Cool - thanx for clearing that up. So BMC or Tweek replacement flat filter and I should be OK ?
s3 freak
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 10 months

Post by s3 freak »

AirborneZA wrote:Cool - thanx for clearing that up. So BMC or Tweek replacement flat filter and I should be OK ?
A proper cold air intake and you will be "OK"
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

Something like this then - just the intake part, not whatever the section after the MAF is called (I shall also one day know the correct technical terms - bear with me. Was told to stop riding road bikes, which I knew, so the compromise was a VW family car that at least has a little bit of oomf).

Saw them selling a bolt on kit with the heat shield and filter at the Boksburg flea market - don't remember the brand tough. As a side note, I had a 60 degree alu pipe with Simota cone filter stuck to the end of it, that sat just behind the headlight on the car for a while but the constant sucking noise drove the missus up the walls (I thought the sucking noise might be enough of a hint hint nudge nudge, turns out it's a NO) - will the heat shield also get rid of that or is she going to have to live with the noise ?

G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

AirborneZA wrote:
Goal would be to have a larger air intake area, as opposed to the 15x2cm post box slit my car currently has ...
well, 2 things, as already stated, The turbo would suck the air that's needed, That's why in stock form a "high flow, bigger size, more efficient" intake would make little difference to a factory tuned car.

creating a ram type of intake would make no difference, Now should you plan on modding the car further ie downpipe and software, you will have to move a lot more air, a lot quicker. Intakes do not magically flow more air, the purpose of an aftermarket/performance intake is to reduce how hard the turbo needs to work to draw the air through it, increasing its performance

You mentioned somewhere about flee market intakes.... did you buy your road bike parts/kits at a flea market too :bang:
Its VERY VERY VARRRRY important that the MAF housing is the correct size, Luckily for you, most TSI intakes reuse the stock MAF housing, Unlike the mk5 TFSI's
Generally, flea market parts do more harm, so I wouldn't

in the TSi engines (that the one you have) the intake comes in 2 "stages". The heat shield, Filter and silicone bend would be first stage (in honesty it doesn't do much other than making sucky sucky noises, Then you get the "stage 2 pipe, between the MAF and the turbo, Which actually makes a difference in the efficiency of the airflow.

Rather go for a proper R&D'ed name brand intake if that's what you want

PS, again in stock form the oem paper filter would most likely outperform any drop in replacement filter with cleaning air and flow rate
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
AirborneZA
Cadet

Post by AirborneZA »

Thanx for that ... makes sense now.

And no .. didn't buy parts for the bike from the flea market. I just waited until I saw a similar bike and then "borrowed" the parts from that bike ...
JonathanT4
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Audi A4 B8 6MT Turbonetics T66

Post by JonathanT4 »

If your wife doesn't like the intake sound then look for a foam filter, something along the lines of a ITG.
Audi A4 2.0T 155KW Manual FWD. JE Pistons, IE Rods, Calico Bearings, Turbonetics T66.