brake pads warning light on 9n3 gti

El Toro
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

brake pads warning light on 9n3 gti

Post by El Toro »

Hi guys. I urgently need help. So today on my way home the brake pads warning light came on with the beeping. Got home checked brake fluid level is ok. Took off both front wheels and checked the brake pads are still ok and the sensor plug on the front left pads is still in and not loose. The moment I start driving again in about 30 seconds the light comes on again. Now I have not checked the rear pads but could that light mean the rear pads are worn out or is could there be something else wrong. I can't upload pics but it is the orange circle with a line on each side. Car is a 9n3 gti. Any help will be appreciated.
curtis_morilias
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: mk1 citi 2.0 16v

Re: brake pads warning light on 9n3 gti

Post by curtis_morilias »

Check your rears if there's a brake pad wear sensor, and the thickness of the pad. General guideline for worn pads should be around 5-10mm in thickness
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

There is no sensor on the rear pads.

Check fuses
Check if both brake lights are working when pressing the brakes.
Could even be the brake light switch that has gone faulty.
OR the Brake pad with the sensor might had shorted or broken a wire
BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

By saying the brake pads are ok, what do you mean? How much pad life is left on the lhs set (inner and outer)?
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Hi guys. So just an update to the brake light issue. I checked all the brake pads front and back and both inner and outer pads have about 10 mm left on them. So I decided to take the front left wheel off again coz that's the one with the sensor. Inspected the sensor plugs again and this time very gently with a little Q20 pulled back the rubber boot on the plug and noticed that one of the wires was so badly corroded to the point where I could not even cut and re-join the wire. So decided to cut off both plugs, bridged the 2 wires coming down the harness and taped it up really good. Went for a nice spirited drive and hey no lights and no annoying beep.
El Toro
Cadet

Post by El Toro »

Forgot to mention that the plug which was corroded is the male plug coming down from the harness or ecu. Where can I get one of these from since I would like to repair and replace the next time I do the brakes.
Carel040
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by Carel040 »

Phone vw cost of brake pad and wheel speed sensor is R860.00 just replaced mine 9N3 Tdi

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk