Vw 8v kid
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 10 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1

Vw 2l 8v turbo

Post by Vw 8v kid »

Howzit oaks new to this thread!

so I have a 2l 8v agg that I'm currently running in my golf 1 and I plan on boosting it. I just wanted to check if I can run a 272 cam on boost ? And how much boost can I run on stock bottom end, I will have a head that's been re done and port and flowed and also will get the right head gasket etc.
Vw Mk1
2l :driving:
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Vw 2l 8v turbo

Post by Unobeat »

I know Jetta2 ran a very healthy 2L 8v Turbo motor in his MK2 Jetta and it boosted 1bar easily with healthy power output.
Guys will pop in shortly to advise.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Found this:
Jetta2 wrote:ADY block (stock internals with ARP conrod bolts)
8V X-flow head (mildly ported)
Spacer plate to lower compression
OEM G60 cam
Stock AEG inlet manifold and throttle body
Perfect Power XMS4 management running 60-2 and wasted spark
Custom exhaust manifold
Precision PTE5857 journal bearing turbo (T3/T4, AR.48 turbine housing, AR.60 compressor housing)
Precision PW39 wastegate (set at 1Bar)
DIY'd downpipe

+-190kW and 320Nm ATW @ 1Bar boost :evil: (Note +- means "estimated". I must still organise time to get to panic to complete the dyno session. Power went off at his dyno while tuning was being done and I have not had time to go back :cry: )

Edited to add: the old POS Chinese-knock-off rubbish turbo set-up with a U-flow head made 179kW and 300Nm @ 1Bar boost running Gotech on Panic's dyno.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Thanks Uno.

Yep, that setup was a bit nuts.
I did change the turbo to a Garrett GT2871R dual ball bearing jobbie and had a custom inlet manifold made by Magsta and it is a pleasure to drive as the boost comes in earlier and the midrange is stronger.

My opinion: leave the stock cam in as the 272 will be a "peaky" for a boosted setup.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Vw 8v kid
Enlisted

Post by Vw 8v kid »

Jetta2 wrote:Thanks Uno.

Yep, that setup was a bit nuts.
I did change the turbo to a Garrett GT2871R dual ball bearing jobbie and had a custom inlet manifold made by Magsta and it is a pleasure to drive as the boost comes in earlier and the midrange is stronger.

My opinion: leave the stock cam in as the 272 will be a "peaky" for a boosted setup.

Thanks a lot will see how this turbo project goes!
Vw Mk1
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Great stuff
Keep us updated with your build.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
Vw 8v kid
Enlisted

Post by Vw 8v kid »

So I have managed to source all the turbo parts ( t28 turbo, cast manifold ect...) and have just got to make up the head spacer...so I wanted to ask if I'm going to be running between 0.5 - 0.8 is a 2mm spacer and then a head gasket on either side enough ? And what compression ratio would I be sitting at ? I have a r line cam in the car can I leave this in ?
Vw Mk1
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

You can use the r line cam.
i have never used the guess the cr method. I Usually just measure and calculate so cannot assist.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Vw 8v kid
Enlisted

Post by Vw 8v kid »

panic-mechanic wrote:You can use the r line cam.
i have never used the guess the cr method. I Usually just measure and calculate so cannot assist.
As in taking the head off and measuring with Perspex and syringe ?
Vw Mk1
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI