Hobo_Joe
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8P S3

Audi S3 - High Oil Consumption

Post by Hobo_Joe »

Howzit guys,

So I've been having an issue with high oil consumption over the past couple of months. I have a 2009 S3 with ~180K on the clock. The car has been standard since new (as far as I know) and had a full service history at Audi when I bought it. I have installed a DP, intake, and GFB DV+, no software as yet. I service every 10k, and use Liqui Moly Top Tec 4200 (5W30).

Late last year I noticed that the oil level was dropping rapidly (I would say a pint a week ~500-600km). My mech checked the engine bay, as well as inspected the boost pipes and intercooler; with no evidence of any leaks. A compression test was also done, and was all clear. I changed the oil to Liqui Moly 10W40 at that service, and noted initially (after two weeks) that there was no longer any oil loss. However I have done ~3k since that service and the dipstick is now down 50% again.

The car is not smoking on start-up or idle at all; however it does puff slightly on acceleration and take-off (Only noticeable to an observer behind/outside the car).

At this stage I'm assuming the turbo needs a recon (seals), however is there any way to confirm this without taking the unit out? I would appreciate any input/diagnosis.

Thanks in advance :)
Current - Facelift 8P S3 (Sprint Blue)

Ex - Audi A3 1.4TFSI
Golf 1 1.3

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: Audi S3 - High Oil Consumption

Post by panic-mechanic »

no way to know if it is the turbo really. You recon it with new seals and see if the consumption changes,
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
spawn616
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 10 months

Post by spawn616 »

the 5w30 oil for us is to thin with these motors and our heat

the 10w40 is a much better option, these motors tfsi in general burn oil from 0km and our heat doesn't help at all.

i would suggest first to change the pvc as they leak and fail after 80k km, some are lucky some arnt but it is a cheaper fix and will help regardless.

mine was burning oil every 2k km on 5w30,now on 10w 40 and only topped up after 8k km.have no idea where you are but I'm in durban north and we've been constantly above 30 degrees.

hope that helps or eases you a lil.

but remember that all new german cars are designed to run hot for emissions and whale saving tactics
Hoosier Daddy
Colonel
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf VI R
Membership No: 2023

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

spawn616 wrote:the 5w30 oil for us is to thin with these motors and our heat

the 10w40 is a much better option, these motors tfsi in general burn oil from 0km and our heat doesn't help at all.

i would suggest first to change the pvc as they leak and fail after 80k km, some are lucky some arnt but it is a cheaper fix and will help regardless.

mine was burning oil every 2k km on 5w30,now on 10w 40 and only topped up after 8k km.have no idea where you are but I'm in durban north and we've been constantly above 30 degrees.

but remember that all new german cars are designed to run hot for emissions and whale saving tactics
100%. As a reference the car should use around a pint every 2000 to 3000 km. Anything more you're lucky and less you might want to look further.

You may want to look at smaller things first before the turbo. If it was seals you'd have white smoke almost all the time. Look at your evaporation systems including the DV charcoal canister.

Pull out the dipstick whilst the car is on to check the PCV effectiveness. Do a quick inspection of boost pipes post-turbo for excessive oil carryover
My Dream: Gipsy Danger
My First Love: Lucy
Nikz_tsc wrote:Don't be an elachi bhai
Bad Ash
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: S3

Post by Bad Ash »

Hi guys. Reviving this thread seeking advice. Is it safe using 10W 40 in these motors? I know it will help drop the oil consumption but at what cost seeing as its semi synthetic and doesn't conform to manufacturer specifications. Is it not gonna effect the lubrication of the cam chain & tensioner and cause premature wear.

My car smokes a lot intermittently. It passed compression test and leak down test. The garage I took it too for fault finding says it's the turbo. I'm happy to send the turbo for repairs but I'm not confident it is the turbo. 1stly I've checked the turbine side of the turbo 3 times already and it's bone dry with no shaft play. 2ndly under boost or overrun it's doesn't blow smoke.

I've found oil on my plugs and I know that can be caused by a few things namely rings, valve stem seals/guides, valve cover gasket or failed pcv system.

I've replaced the pcv with a goldwagen pcv and noticed that one port in the goldwagen pcv is blanked off. There is no vacuum when i remove the oil cap. When I pull out the dipstick the idle doesn't change at all. Is this right?

For some reason I feel my problem lies between either pressure build up in crankcase causing oil to be pushed past the rings or oil pushing through the back valve cover breather and traveling through intake system straight to the intake manifold and getting into the cylinders.

What are your thoughts on this?
Should I try 10w 40 and see if it effects the smoking.

S3 8P
180 000km
''I spent alot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered...''
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Shell helix makes ultra in 10w40 if you truly believe that by some miracle oil grade will make a difference to usage.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Dale
Lieutenant

Post by Dale »

Hoosier Daddy wrote:

100%. As a reference the car should use around a pint every 2000 to 3000 km. Anything more you're lucky and less you might want to look further.

You may want to look at smaller things first before the turbo. If it was seals you'd have white smoke almost all the time. Look at your evaporation systems including the DV charcoal canister.

Pull out the dipstick whilst the car is on to check the PCV effectiveness. Do a quick inspection of boost pipes post-turbo for excessive oil carryover
Hi, What are the symptoms of a poked pcv valve when removing the dipstick? Would it cause excessive oil usage and oil in boost pipes?

Thanks
B_rad
Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Post by B_rad »

Dale wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:

Hi, What are the symptoms of a poked pcv valve when removing the dipstick? Would it cause excessive oil usage and oil in boost pipes?

Thanks
To test a poked PCV, while the engine is running attempt to remove the oil cap (just try loosen it and see if it feels normal). If it is kak hard to remove, PCV is likely poked. Also immediately after shutting down the car open to oil cap and listen for a whoosh noise. If you hear that, then it is likely poked.