Golf 4 gti AGU pcv valve clarification help

Solly.Ray
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Golf 4 gti AGU pcv valve clarification help

Post by Solly.Ray »

Been doing some research on the pcv valve and I am now more confused than when I started. In some articles they say the pcv valve is the one that has a C clip and fits on intake manifold, some articles categorise the hockey puck and pcv as the same thing, some articles say the pcv valve is along the hoses. If somebody could please clarify what is the valve with the c clip where is the pcv valve really and which causes idle issues, I was told to check my pcv next after going through everything else that could cause idle issues.(Hoses have no tears) also read about the pressure test (removing oil cap and waiting for change in idle) but my dipstick is broken so will replace that first before I can do the test, could a broken dipstick cause slight idle issue? The vehicle does not really have a hunt or erratic idle, she has a barely noticeable idle issue that can be felt when sitting at a red traffic light.

Also if anybody has part numbers for the above to fit my golf 4 gti agu I would apreciate it as I would like to replace them, guys at goldwagen said part number will help them because they were abit confused as to what I was on about.

Ismail
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: IC TDI

Re: Golf 4 gti AGU pcv valve clarification help

Post by Ismail »

Somebody please correct me if im wrong, from my limited knowledge of reading up easily accessible info all over vortex and other forums including this one, the PRV or pressure regulator valve is what is called the hockey puck and it's purpose is to relieve excess pressure in the pcv system, it is different from the PCV valve itself, the PCV valve or positive crankcase ventilation valve is located in the pcv system where the hoses make a T, the C clip on the block is where one of the PCV hoses fit and is not a valve.
Solly.Ray
Cadet

Post by Solly.Ray »

Ismail wrote:Somebody please correct me if im wrong, from my limited knowledge of reading up easily accessible info all over vortex and other forums including this one, the PRV or pressure regulator valve is what is called the hockey puck and it's purpose is to relieve excess pressure in the pcv system, it is different from the PCV valve itself, the PCV valve or positive crankcase ventilation valve is located in the pcv system where the hoses make a T, the C clip on the block is where one of the PCV hoses fit and is not a valve.

Thanks Ismail. Anybody have any part numbers or know what should I tell them at goldwagen ?
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

Yeah the Hockypuck is the one that connects to the TIP and closes or gets sucked closed when on boost.

PCV is at the bottom of the intake mani, see this pic, the PCV valve is in the middle of all these pipes

BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
Killerwatt
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Make: AUDI
Car Model: S3
Membership No: missing

Post by Killerwatt »

Dipstick can cause an idle issue especially on the 110kw cars. so sort that out before you do anything else.

Basically the PCV and hocky-puck both work together.
When off boost/in vacuum:
The PCV valve is open and sucks vapour from the block into the manifold. Clean air is sucked from the TIP through the hockey-puck into the tappet cover. The hockey-puck gets sucked closed to limit the amount of air pulled from the TIP.

Under boost:
PCV is closed and all the blow-by from the block and tappet cover gets vented into the TIP. The hocky-puck will be open.
Solly.Ray
Cadet

Post by Solly.Ray »

Thank you guys.

Is there anyway to check these valves once they are off the vehicle - hockey puck and pcv valve, my pcv i can blow through one way only and hockey puck both. Any idea where I can get the T piece where the pcv fits?
Ismail
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Make: SEAT
Car Model: IC TDI

Post by Ismail »

Solly.Ray wrote:Thank you guys.

Is there anyway to check these valves once they are off the vehicle - hockey puck and pcv valve, my pcv i can blow through one way only and hockey puck both. Any idea where I can get the T piece where the pcv fits?
Goldwagen has stock of the t piece, give them part number. I think it's about 70 odd bucks
MoeketsiMax
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years

Post by MoeketsiMax »

Does anyone know the part number for the T piece to the pcv?
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 4 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

MoeketsiMax wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 am Does anyone know the part number for the T piece to the pcv?
Check here:

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/za/jetta ... 03-103085/
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
AshleyGTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by AshleyGTI »

Thank you gentleman for the responses.

My initial thoughts of the operation of the system is correct,after tracing pipework.

Alot of literature explains this system but not how the puk works. Always wondered how the system gets fresh air into it.
AshleyGTI
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by AshleyGTI »

Will be investigating why on idle, exhaust is blowing light grey smoke.

Suspect pcv bleed valve.