Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Mk3 Jetta VR6
Membership No: missing

Fuel Smell on Mk7 GTI

Post by Dub Addiction »

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any other Mk7 GTI owners are experiencing the same issue. I am getting a fuel smell coming from the engine bay, which is only noticeable from the outside and when the car is switched off after driving. I 1st noticed it a week ago after parking the car and then returning to the garage, I followed the smell and seems to be coming from the front of the engine.

The smell isn't always noticeable but has become stronger lately, where the whole garage has a strong fuel smell. The car doesn't drive everyday, probably once or twice a week and is currently on 15 000km. The car was serviced in September 2014 and no issues were reported or present at that time.

Anyone else have this problem or know someone who does?
Current:'97 Jetta VR6
Demon Tweaked
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Car Make: VW & VW
Car Model: MK7R & MK6 GTI
Membership No: 1845

Re: Fuel Smell on Mk7 GTI

Post by Demon Tweaked »

I dont know anyone with this problem, having said that if i were you i would send it in to have it checked. the last thing you want is it catching a light if there is a fuel issue in the bay.
LB MK7R 359WHP 511NM
MK6 GTI DSG UNITRONIC Stage2
EX:
AUDI RS3
BMW E92 M3 350WHP @ Rally Cross Motors
UNITRONIC SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20vT Stage3 434WHP 509NM @ KAR
VW Citi Chico 1.4
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

I need to do that asap, dont really get time to take it in but will make a booking and have it checked out. I saw on one of the other forums, that there's a recall for some 2014-2015 VW's for faulty/leaking fuel rails. That could be the issue but rather get it checked than speculating.
Demon Tweaked
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 9 months
Car Make: VW & VW
Car Model: MK7R & MK6 GTI
Membership No: 1845

Post by Demon Tweaked »

Dub Addiction wrote:I need to do that asap, dont really get time to take it in but will make a booking and have it checked out. I saw on one of the other forums, that there's a recall for some 2014-2015 VW's for faulty/leaking fuel rails. That could be the issue but rather get it checked than speculating.
true that! Report back when you done, would be good to know.
LB MK7R 359WHP 511NM
MK6 GTI DSG UNITRONIC Stage2
EX:
AUDI RS3
BMW E92 M3 350WHP @ Rally Cross Motors
UNITRONIC SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.8 20vT Stage3 434WHP 509NM @ KAR
VW Citi Chico 1.4
doctordubs
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by doctordubs »

Can anybody say leaking fsi pump pipes??? Common cock up....the banjo bolts on the fsi pump prone to seeping....theyr under immense pressure, and sometimes they leak a little
George Smooth
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by George Smooth »

Dub Addiction wrote:Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any other Mk7 GTI owners are experiencing the same issue. I am getting a fuel smell coming from the engine bay, which is only noticeable from the outside and when the car is switched off after driving. I 1st noticed it a week ago after parking the car and then returning to the garage, I followed the smell and seems to be coming from the front of the engine.

The smell isn't always noticeable but has become stronger lately, where the whole garage has a strong fuel smell. The car doesn't drive everyday, probably once or twice a week and is currently on 15 000km. The car was serviced in September 2014 and no issues were reported or present at that time.

Just a heads up. There has been a recall in the states for leaks on the high pressure fuel rail. Either way fuel is no joke so take it in ASAP.
http://www.carbondoctor.co.za

14 Golf 7 R
08 BMW 335i Worked
09 Merc C63 Very Worked
Solo786
Brigadier
Registered for: 17 years
Car Make: Porsche,BMW,VW
Membership No: 1251

Post by Solo786 »

George Smooth wrote:

Just a heads up. There has been a recall in the states for leaks on the high pressure fuel rail. Either way fuel is no joke so take it in ASAP.
+1 on that

Seems some local cars have issues with fuel smells as well - I dont know the outcome, but will catch up with the owners and post feedback
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

Solo786 wrote:
George Smooth wrote:

+1 on that

Seems some local cars have issues with fuel smells as well - I dont know the outcome, but will catch up with the owners and post feedback
I read about that recall in the states, funny that it hasn't occured in SA as well.

I done some checking lastnight just to get a better idea or where it's coming from before dropping the car off this morning at VW, and the fuel smell is at it's strongest by the fuel rail :cry:

Hopefully they will get it sorted out but will report more on this later once i get feedback from VW.
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

So I just got a call from the service center regarding the leak. The leak was found and it is the HPFP that is infact leaking.

The HPFP will be removed now to check where the leak is coming from. I was told that if it is the HPFP itself that needs to be replaced, then i would be waiting a while, as that part is currently on back order. :bang:

They also told me that the seal on the HPFP isnt sold seperately and comes as a 1 piece with the pump. Is this true?
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Dub Addiction wrote:So I just got a call from the service center regarding the leak. The leak was found and it is the HPFP that is infact leaking.

The HPFP will be removed now to check where the leak is coming from. I was told that if it is the HPFP itself that needs to be replaced, then i would be waiting a while, as that part is currently on back order. :bang:

They also told me that the seal on the HPFP isnt sold seperately and comes as a 1 piece with the pump. Is this true?
:/

sounds like kak talk
Thupercharged S4
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

So i got the dreaded phone call from VW to say that the HPFP has to be replaced.

The only problem is that the stock is on back order and will take up to 2 weeks :bang:

Soo up and until that time, the car will be in the shop :(
doctordubs
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by doctordubs »

Hmmmm. ....iv workd on a lot of gti 5&6 with leaky pipes. Demand your old parts. Agents are the biggest thieves out ny friend
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

doctordubs wrote:Hmmmm. ....iv workd on a lot of gti 5&6 with leaky pipes. Demand your old parts. Agents are the biggest thieves out ny friend
I went over there the day they said it's the pump, I could see the leak but wasn't by any pipe.

The car will be done by tomorrow hopefully, as stock arrived earlier than expected.

Will cheeck the pump when i collect the car but as long as it's fixed then I'm happy, maintenance plan covers that in any case
De@n
General
Registered for: 16 years 10 months
Car Model: MKV .:R32
Membership No: 1227

Post by De@n »

Dub Addiction wrote:
doctordubs wrote:Hmmmm. ....iv workd on a lot of gti 5&6 with leaky pipes. Demand your old parts. Agents are the biggest thieves out ny friend
I went over there the day they said it's the pump, I could see the leak but wasn't by any pipe.

The car will be done by tomorrow hopefully, as stock arrived earlier than expected.

Will cheeck the pump when i collect the car but as long as it's fixed then I'm happy, maintenance plan covers that in any case
Good to hear!
Should be covered by warranty first.
Current Ride:
MKV Golf .:R32
Project :83' MK GTI aka "The Phantom"

Ex Rides:
BMW 130i
MK VI GTI DSG
Dub Addiction
Cadet

Post by Dub Addiction »

De@n wrote:
Dub Addiction wrote:

Good to hear!
Should be covered by warranty first.
I should actually find out what is covering it, seeing that the car is only a year old
Superslik
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo

Post by Superslik »

This exact thing is happening to me! I will have to take it in to be checked....
Current:

Nissan Tida

Ex:
2017 //M140i
2015 Golf 7 R
2013 Golf 7 GTI
2013 Polo 1.6i Comfortline ( Stolen ) :(
RS3 Reps, Pano Roof

2010 VW Scirocco 1.4TSI
2012 Merc C180 AMG BE Coupe
2010 Peugeot 207 GTI
2006 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline
2006 Polo 1.6i Comfortline
2002 Citi 1.6i Life
Superslik
Lieutenant

Post by Superslik »

Update:
I have been told that the HPFP has to be replaced as well. Not very good service from VW on Hendrik Potgieter, last time will be using them after this claim. Parts have arrived, will hopefully sort out this week.

What is the brake harness? I was told this needs to be replaced as well. I changed brake pads a few months back and was told the sensor wiring was showing on the drivers side, i suppose after some time this was damaged. My understanding was that the sensor would just need to be replced however they say it is the brake harness.

Both of the parts are ordered and will be replacing soon....
Current:

Nissan Tida

Ex:
2017 //M140i
2015 Golf 7 R
2013 Golf 7 GTI
RS3 Reps, Pano Roof

2010 VW Scirocco 1.4TSI
2010 Peugeot 207 GTI
2006 Polo 1.6i Comfortline
2002 Citi 1.6i Life
Superslik
Lieutenant

Post by Superslik »

Update:

HPFP has been replaced, car feels good, will do some driving this weekend to see whether the smell is still evident.
Brake harness has been replaced. Still dont know what this is for.
Current:

Nissan Tida

Ex:
2017 //M140i
2015 Golf 7 R
2013 Golf 7 GTI
RS3 Reps, Pano Roof

2010 VW Scirocco 1.4TSI
2010 Peugeot 207 GTI