Re: New Focus ST vs GTI 7 perfomance

Post by paolo »

Stoppit now
David E-J
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by David E-J »

Hi gents. Here's a video with ST vs Megane RS vs OPC from top gear. Pity there is no GTI there but it's quite interesting. https://youtu.be/oYNQ4CQbFbs
David E-J
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by David E-J »

I see the conversation is old but if you go to RGM website it gives you all the factory kw and wheel kw on their dyno. The ST is 184kw factory and puts out 153kw on the wheels. the 7GTi is 162kw and puts out 150kw on the wheel. so the Ford still comes out with slightly more power put then the DSG gearbox and weights will play a larger role as wkw are basically the same.
Tman21
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: BosPolo
Membership No: 3247

Post by Tman21 »

I read one of the comments on the 1st page and though a lot of truth, the guy mentioned better traction control system. I see a fail here as everyone switches of all drivers aids when dragging, what he did try to explain is the overall package and power delivery is much better.

And the reason the GTI is "faster" is not only DSG as Im sure the manual GTI6 will still tramp an ST is because of power delivery. Yes it has a little less power and its approx 30KG heavier but that to some extent means more traction and the ST has a massive torque spike an dies after 4K RPM. That ST just lights up its rubber in 1st and second. Power to weight ratio's are only one element in 0-100 and 400m times.
Success: When hard work meets opportunity :-)
#TMAN21