1.4 TSI 90KW turbo problems?

maybeanothergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Model: MK6 1.4 TSI

1.4 TSI 90KW turbo problems?

Post by maybeanothergolf »

Hi, I hope someone with some experience with this engine can give me some advice. Edited my earlier post to get it a bit more to the point.

I've been having some issues with my car as follows:

- A while back on the way to work my car went into limp mode. No warning lights lit up, but total loss of boost.

- After that it felt like the turbo didn't come in as early as it did before. Usually a nice pull from around 1500RPM, but since that its over 2000RPM.

- Took it into the dealer, they found an "underboost" error, and after some testing replaced the actuator (not the whole turbo unit).

- After that the car was fine for a few days, felt like it always used to, but the problem came back.

- Since then it's done the limp mode thing twice again. When it happens I pull over, turn the engine off and back on, back to normal (still not quite right though).

- Booked in for regular service, asked dealer to do a scan, they found more "underboost" errors, but after a few days driving it they reckoned nothing was wrong.

- I've driven the car since new, so i'm pretty sure i'm not going crazy :crazy: , there's defnintely a loss of power going on...

I've read elsewhere on the forum people having somewhat similar problems when either the actuator is sticking, the N75 valve is dodgey or the DV isn't working quite right... I'd really like to hear some thoughts as to what the problem could be, or how to go about finding what's going on...

Please help!
maybeanothergolf
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Car Model: MK6 1.4 TSI

Re: 1.4 TSI 90KW turbo problems?

Post by maybeanothergolf »

Update:

I now have a VCDS, did scan, no fault codes.

I'm a total total noob with VCDS, anyone have any tips on what groups and parameters to log to maybe get a picture of what's going on?
pjjdp
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf MKVII TSi
Membership No: missing

Post by pjjdp »

Strange.

"- Took it into the dealer, they found an "underboost" error......................." - It a complete unit. They took the easy way out it or maybe they only tried to clean the actuator.

Take it to another dealer

On my G6, they replaced the whole unit. Was under maintenance plan so no questions asked.
Current :2014 - VW Golf 7 1.4TSi Comfortline

EX's
2009 - VW Golf 6 1.4TSi Comfortline
2006 - Audi A4 1.8T 1997 - VW Golf 3 GTS 1991 - VW Golf CTi
1997 - VW Golf Chico 1.6 1996 - VW Golf 3 GS 2004 - VW Golf 5 1.6 Comfortline
1997 - Isuzu 280DT LWB 1997 - Ford Bantam 1.3 1992 - Mazda 323 2.0I 16v
2003 - BMW 318I E46 1989 - Ford Sapphire 1.6 GL 1989 - Ford Sapphire 3.0 GLX
1976 - Audi 80 GLS
Eddie-TSi
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Make: 2011 VW
Car Model: CC TDi DSG
Membership No: missing

Post by Eddie-TSi »

I had some similar issues with mine, however mine never went into limp mode.

At the 60k service I told them to investigate why power is not smooth when accelerating, I could feel it is not what it should be.
They let me know its on the actuator side or some electronic part is faulty and replaced it. They said it couldnt open or close properly sometimes because it was sticky or something.
Anyway they replaced the parts needed and its been 4000km's now and its still 100%.
I have the invoice and part numbers. It was done under warranty no issues.

BTW this was at Hatfield VW, I can recommend them.
2011 VW CC TDi DSG

Ex: 2011 VW Golf 6 TSi

Ex: 2006 Ford Focus ST

Ex: 2003 VW Golf 4 GTi (132kw)

“A Turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.” - Jeremy Clarkson
wimmelman
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by wimmelman »

I know this is a really old thread, but have to ask... How did VW solve the problem? What did they replace? I have the same problems but no warning lights and an intermitent problem.
I have been trying for the past few months to find the cause, but haven't had any luck yet.