G6 gti timing chain tensioner issues

Fahiem-Vr6
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

G6 gti timing chain tensioner issues

Post by Fahiem-Vr6 »

Hi Guys

So on Friday while driving home I heard this terrible noise coming from the engine bay.
I was only a few hundred metres away from home so cruised the rest of the way.

I switched the car off and on again but the noise was still there.
I then noticed the check engine light was on.
I also noticed the car took a while to start when turning the engine over.

Yesterday I took the car to VW and I just received a call to advise me that the tensioner failed which caused the timing to go out as well due to the timing chains jumping a tooth/teeth.

It is a 2009 model with 70k kilometres on the clock.

VW is waiting for authorisation from motorite before ordering the new tensioner.
My question is, is the tensioner and a few bolts the only thing that should be replaced in this instance ?

I have read up on forums that sometimes the entire chain gets replaced, even valves etc.

I would appreciate some help.
Thanks
nemesis20v
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Edition35

Re: G6 gti timing chain tensioner issues

Post by nemesis20v »

Hopefully you didnt bend valves....

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
Current: 2013 Golf 6 GTi ED35 DSG
ex: 2009 Golf 6 GTi DSG
ex: Runx Rsi
ex: Rxi 20v 14.98 msa
GB9
Major
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V S3 Sedan

Post by GB9 »

Suffered this yesterday, but luckily, I had taken my car to VW before the horrible engine rattle was experienced. My car had been struggling to start since Tuesday and started idling poorly on Thursday. Static CEL came on, so I took it in on Friday, despite all VW dealers in Durban saying that they could not see me until next week Thursday! Whilst at VW, I started the car for the service manager and the death rattle was heard.... Looks like I'm without my car for a week or two now, due to all VWs in Durban being chokka-block!
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi : RNS-510 Nav | Xenons | Adaptive Chassis Control
2005 VW Polo TDi (96kw) F/L
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
1996 Citi Deco (Jazz Blue)
NeoSA
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Post by NeoSA »

Did you guys keep tabs on your oil levels at all? GB9 - what year model is your car?
'11 MK6 GTi DSG - Unitronic 2+
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

NeoSA wrote:Did you guys keep tabs on your oil levels at all? GB9 - what year model is your car?
Yeah, I'd checked it last week and it was pretty much in the middle, if not a little below. When I checked it again on Friday, whilst at the dealer, it was a bit on the low side. It's a 2010 model. I've no idea what is in store for Charlie now, but he has a maint. plan until 2015 / 120 000km. Mileage is on 100 494km, so I'm glad I upgraded from a service plan to an extended maint. plan! I did it for this very issue too... Now to see whether I bent anything.
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Good luck dude. I'm sure it's going to work out just fine!

I think the theory that this is linked to low oil levels does hold water somewhat.
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Do we know if there's any update to this? I like to keep track of issues like these and to hear different experiences.
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

NeoSA wrote:Do we know if there's any update to this? I like to keep track of issues like these and to hear different experiences.
I have an update; VW have told me that they need to replace the head. Will get the quote tomorrow and post it here. Maybe a chance that the bottom end (i.e. the whole engine) needs to replaced too, but they'll only know once they remove the head, I reckon.
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Man you're lucky you're not modded. Apparently they use Odis on all of the cars now, no longer just mk7's. It's probably the only downside to owning a MK6 gti - knowing that at any time, at any moment, your engine will eat itself.
TimeShifter
Lieutenant
Car Model: 2012 Mk6 GTi

Post by TimeShifter »

NeoSA wrote:Do we know if there's any update to this? I like to keep track of issues like these and to hear different experiences.
:hijack: Sorry for the hijack, iirc NeoSA was looking/investigating this issue a while ago. What was your findings bud? Are only the 2009-2010 models the mostly affected GTi's? What preventative measures are there? Any warning signs to be weary of?
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Findings:

All MK6 GTi models are affected. From 2009 right through to 2013. Some people will argue that. Trust me. No year model is exempt. We heard a lot about 2009 models failing and some 2010 ones as well. The only reason why they started the trend was because they had the most mileage. It's logical. As time has moved on, we are now hearing about all of the later year models as well. As those models pick up mileage, we're going to see them fail more and more.

There is no preventative maintenance to do except replacing the timing chain tensioner with the latest version. That will cost you about R12,000. VW will not replace the timing chain tensioner under the maintenance plan unless it has already failed. I know because I asked them.

The best you can do is to make sure your oil levels are always optimal and never too low. Also listen to the car when starting it. If it makes a funny rattle like a bike chain slipping or it starts idling rough, or it struggles to start at all - take it to a dealer.

Best case scenario you get away with only replacing the chain and tensioner. Worst case, new engine.

If you plan to drive a MK6 GTi for longer than 5 years, you better save up and get the tensioner updated. Otherwise it's a very expensive game of Russian roulette.
TimeShifter
Lieutenant

Post by TimeShifter »

NeoSA wrote:Findings:

All MK6 GTi models are affected. From 2009 right through to 2013. Some people will argue that. Trust me. No year model is exempt. We heard a lot about 2009 models failing and some 2010 ones as well. The only reason why they started the trend was because they had the most mileage. It's logical. As time has moved on, we are now hearing about all of the later year models as well. As those models pick up mileage, we're going to see them fail more and more.

There is no preventative maintenance to do except replacing the timing chain tensioner with the latest version. That will cost you about R12,000. VW will not replace the timing chain tensioner under the maintenance plan unless it has already failed. I know because I asked them.

The best you can do is to make sure your oil levels are always optimal and never too low. Also listen to the car when starting it. If it makes a funny rattle like a bike chain slipping or it starts idling rough, or it struggles to start at all - take it to a dealer.

Best case scenario you get away with only replacing the chain and tensioner. Worst case, new engine.

If you plan to drive a MK6 GTi for longer than 5 years, you better save up and get the tensioner updated. Otherwise it's a very expensive game of Russian roulette.
Thanks for the feedback bud! What was the average km that the tensioners failed? You scaring me a bit cause my car has a slight delay when starting and I can't remember if it's always been like that and perhaps is normal? I'll try compare with another GTi soon. Do you know from which revision is the less troublesome?
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
[color=#0000FF]Chuck Norris[/color] wrote: Wadup TimeShifter! Will you please teach me how to do that round house kick again?
TimeShifter
Lieutenant

Post by TimeShifter »

NeoSA wrote:Findings:

Thanks for the feedback bud! What was the average km that the tensioners failed? You scaring me a bit cause my car has a slight delay when starting and I can't remember if it's always been like that and perhaps is normal? I'll try compare with another GTi soon. Do you know from which revision is the less troublesome?
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Nah dude, don't worry about it. Kilometers don't seem to be the issue. It can literally happen at any time. I'm not sure what revision tensioner we are on now. I know that the latest tensioner didn't make it into the production engines though. Just look after your oil levels and enjoy the car. If it's going to happen, it will happen and it's not user error.
TimeShifter
Lieutenant

Post by TimeShifter »

NeoSA wrote:Nah dude, don't worry about it. Kilometers don't seem to be the issue. It can literally happen at any time. I'm not sure what revision tensioner we are on now. I know that the latest tensioner didn't make it into the production engines though. Just look after your oil levels and enjoy the car. If it's going to happen, it will happen and it's not user error.
Thanks bud! I'll be keeping a closer eye on the oil level from now on.
2012 VW Golf Mk6 GTi
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

VW called me today "asking permission" to strip the engine further to confirm the extent of the damage and whether I need a new engine entirely, or just a new head. I don't see why they need to do this, but if they think, or rather, if the Innovations Group think I will be paying for any of this, they've got a moerse fight on their hands.
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

But I thought you have an extended maintenance plan? When I bought my car I took it with the maintenance plan extension to 5 years / 90,000km.

The fact that they're "phoning you for permission" is a worry. I would ask them straight if they think you're going to personally pay for this. Rather clear any ambiguity ASAP.
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

are these revised units guaranteed not to give these failures?
I havent heard of any happening with them, so just checking
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)

NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

rodga wrote:are these revised units guaranteed not to give these failures?
The revised units (the latest one) is supposed to solve the reason why the old timing chain tensioner fails under low oil pressure.. That being said, be FLIPPEN careful who you get to install this timing chain tensioner. Some guys in the States have managed to perform this themselves (brave) with success, but others weren't so lucky.

Rant: what I find complete bulls#@t from VWSA is that they insist on charging you the full price (over R12,000) even if you're prepared to pay with your own money to fix THEIR stuff-up. If you ask me, they should be offering this procedure to MK6 GTI owners at a massively reduced price.
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

NeoSA wrote:
The revised units (the latest one) is supposed to solve the reason why the old timing chain tensioner fails under low oil pressure.. That being said, be FLIPPEN careful who you get to install this timing chain tensioner. Some guys in the States have managed to perform this themselves (brave) with success, but others weren't so lucky.

Rant: what I find complete bulls#@t from VWSA is that they insist on charging you the full price (over R12,000) even if you're prepared to pay with your own money to fix THEIR stuff-up. If you ask me, they should be offering this procedure to MK6 GTI owners at a massively reduced price.
agreed, but by them reducing the price its basically admitting there is a fault, which should be covered under warranty....
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)

NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

The whole warranty thing is a sham most of the time. They always try and find something to let them off the hook. But that's another topic. I love my MK6 GTi, but the whole tensioner issue has left a very bad taste in my mouth with VWSA. I doubt that I'll buy a VW again. I know BMW and Audi are not much better at this sort of thing, but still.
Balls
Major
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Membership No: 1708

Post by Balls »

NeoSA wrote:

Where did you get this price of R12000?

Also wasn't the revised tensioner fitted 2010ish+?
Balls
Major
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Membership No: 1708

Post by Balls »

This one?

ryanrich
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Territory

Post by ryanrich »

NeoSA wrote:The best you can do is to make sure your oil levels are always optimal and never too low. Also listen to the car when starting it. If it makes a funny rattle like a bike chain slipping or it starts idling rough, or it struggles to start at all - take it to a dealer.
I wouldn't count on that as a preventative measure. I drive my Audi until the oil warning comes on, at which point it needs a litre, which last 3000 km's before it comes on again. Currently on 93,000 km's and going strong.

Have no idea why Audi doesn't seem affected by this, or nearly as much anyway, since it's basically the same engine...

Glad I have the unlimited 2 year Motorite warranty when my freeway plan ends though, definitely something I don't wanna risk.
2016 Ford Territory TDCi Titanium AWD
2016 Kia Sportage Si
aslam
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Model: MK6 GTi

Post by aslam »

I did mine Oct 2012
I paid R4272 parts and labour incl.
The following parts were bought.

Part numbers:

Old part number for tensioner was 06H 109 467 AB (12-12-11 and earlier)
New part number for tensioner is 06K 109 467 K (13-12-11 and later)

Old part number for cover: 06H 109 210Q
New part number for cover: 06K 109 210

Sealant needed for sealing cover: D 174 003 A2