Major-General
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK1
Membership No: missing

Re: G6 gti timing chain tensioner issues

Post by Zubair »

aslam wrote:
Zubair wrote:My motor was built in August 2012 (final spec, last batch D chassis numbers), and sold to me late 2012 with chassis number showing MY2013 on VW's system so hoping I am safe cause if my car doesn't have the revised parts, none has from the factory then.
Your warranty is still long to worry about this now :grin:
The headache of getting car to and from the dealer and being without a car is the real issue for me, dont have the time to devote to car repairs
Ex '02 Citi.Com 20VT K04
Ex '12 GTI 6 Candy White,Manual,Revo STG 2, 250whp 460nm KAR pump fuel only.

'80 MK1 L 2Dr 8V Throttles
'92 CTI 16VT 240whp @ Panic 0.3 bars boost.
'12 GTI 6 Candy White DSG 14.4 @ 160km/h Tarlton Stock Std.

Zubair Aka Boost Junkie

ZUB-AIR-RESEARCH
Boost Developments
aslam
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Model: MK6 GTi

Post by aslam »

Zubair wrote:
aslam wrote:
Zubair wrote:My motor was built in August 2012 (final spec, last batch D chassis numbers), and sold to me late 2012 with chassis number showing MY2013 on VW's system so hoping I am safe cause if my car doesn't have the revised parts, none has from the factory then.
The headache of getting car to and from the dealer and being without a car is the real issue for me, dont have the time to devote to car repairs
Thats normally the biggest inconvenience for me too.
GB9
Major
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: 8V S3 Sedan

Post by GB9 »

aslam wrote:
Zubair wrote:
aslam wrote:
That and dealing with incompetent service "advisors". I asked for two simple things from this "advisor". 1) Keep me updated daily 2) Let me know as soon as a courtesy car becomes available. She's done neither and I keep having to stop what I'm doing, call her 4-5 times before getting in contact with her and if I don't get hold of her, I have to call her service manager and he has to chase her down. Even then, I don't hear from them for another 2 hours. Fucks me off that VW service is this ****.
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
2010 VW Golf 6 GTi : RNS-510 Nav | Xenons | Adaptive Chassis Control
2005 VW Polo TDi (96kw) F/L
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
1996 Citi Deco (Jazz Blue)
Ettie70
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 9 months
Car Model: Jetta mk6 2.0 tdi

Post by Ettie70 »

If anyone is interested, I have a G6 revised tensioner 06K109467K with crank pulley bolt for sale (Brand new) - R400

Pm me
2011 BMW E90 LCI 330d Msport

Ex:

2009 BMW E90 320d Msport
2013 Jetta 6 2.0TDi H/L - Revo 2
Magic Black 2010 Golf 6 GTI - Stealth Tuned Stage 2
Dove Grey 2007 1.8T Polo GTI - Revo Stage 2
2005 Silver Opel Corsa 1.6 Sport
n.gov
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by n.gov »

aslam wrote:

Zubair wrote:

aslam wrote:

Zubair wrote:
My motor was built in August 2012 (final spec, last batch D chassis numbers), and sold to me late 2012 with chassis number showing MY2013 on VW's system so hoping I am safe cause if my car doesn't have the revised parts, none has from the factory then.

That and dealing with incompetent service "advisors". I asked for two simple things from this "advisor". 1) Keep me updated daily 2) Let me know as soon as a courtesy car becomes available. She's done neither and I keep having to stop what I'm doing, call her 4-5 times before getting in contact with her and if I don't get hold of her, I have to call her service manager and he has to chase her down. Even then, I don't hear from them for another 2 hours. Fucks me off that VW service is this ****.
You mentioned either here or carforums that your car is at Umhlanga VW so i'm going to take a guess here.

Anusha is you advisor
n.gov
Enlisted

Post by n.gov »

sorry, that was directed to GB9
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

n.gov wrote: You mentioned either here or carforums that your car is at Umhlanga VW so i'm going to take a guess here.

Anusha is you advisor
Nah, it's Cheryl. I know they're busy and I can understand the pressure they must be under, but I see them as "VW" and they should cater for my every reasonably need. I paid a shed load to extend the maintenance plan, so I expect to see a return on that investment from a service perspective as well as the usual car services and maintenance. I want to feel like they have as much concern for my car's well being as I do. I'm not getting that at all and it irks me.
2015 Audi S3 Sedan : Nappa leather seats, LED headlights, Panoramic sunroof, rear PDC, B & O sound system
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
NeoSA
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by NeoSA »

GB9 wrote:
n.gov wrote: You mentioned either here or carforums that your car is at Umhlanga VW so i'm going to take a guess here.

Anusha is you advisor
Nah, it's Cheryl. I know they're busy and I can understand the pressure they must be under, but I see them as "VW" and they should cater for my every reasonably need. I paid a shed load to extend the maintenance plan, so I expect to see a return on that investment from a service perspective as well as the usual car services and maintenance. I want to feel like they have as much concern for my car's well being as I do. I'm not getting that at all and it irks me.
You're 100% correct to feel that way mate. Don't apologise. You paid for service. You should get it. They're not doing you a favour by doing their job.
'11 MK6 GTi DSG - Unitronic 2+
n.gov
Enlisted

Post by n.gov »

Here's a brief summary of my experience with Anusha and Vw Umhlanga..

My car was bought new from them and had a water entry issue which needed to be sorted out over a few days.

As such, i requested a courtesy vehicle but due to the high demand , there was a waiting list which i didn't have an issue with since it cannot be expected for a dealership to have a courtesy vehicle for every customer. The other reason for accepting this was due to my car still been driveable.

I phoned Anusha for everyday for 2wks around the expected time that a courtesy vehicle would become available and i would start each telephonic conversation like this..."Hi it's first name, surname, vehicle , reg details, nature of problem" and then ask if any car is available. On the last day i phoned, i just mentioned my first name and expected her to know who she was talking to but she sadly didn't. I then went on to give all my details all over again and it seemed like it was a conversation i was having for the very first time.

Anusha also handled the 1000km inspection on the car so all interactions weren't over the phone and i also communicated via email to her and the service manager. The service manager then, James, didn't inspire any confidence as well.
I never went back, just got the issue sorted out elsewhere.

Vw make some good and even great cars but after sales service at some of the dealers are sadly lacking.

Good luck with the GTi and for what its worth, the Quality Control guy in the workshop seemed pretty jacked up when i spoke to him back then.
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

n.gov wrote:Here's a brief summary of my experience with Anusha and Vw Umhlanga..

My car was bought new from them and had a water entry issue which needed to be sorted out over a few days.

As such, i requested a courtesy vehicle but due to the high demand , there was a waiting list which i didn't have an issue with since it cannot be expected for a dealership to have a courtesy vehicle for every customer. The other reason for accepting this was due to my car still been driveable.

I phoned Anusha for everyday for 2wks around the expected time that a courtesy vehicle would become available and i would start each telephonic conversation like this..."Hi it's first name, surname, vehicle , reg details, nature of problem" and then ask if any car is available. On the last day i phoned, i just mentioned my first name and expected her to know who she was talking to but she sadly didn't. I then went on to give all my details all over again and it seemed like it was a conversation i was having for the very first time.

Anusha also handled the 1000km inspection on the car so all interactions weren't over the phone and i also communicated via email to her and the service manager. The service manager then, James, didn't inspire any confidence as well.
I never went back, just got the issue sorted out elsewhere.

Vw make some good and even great cars but after sales service at some of the dealers are sadly lacking.

Good luck with the GTi and for what its worth, the Quality Control guy in the workshop seemed pretty jacked up when i spoke to him back then.
Pretty much exactly the same experience I'm having! If you frequent the Carforums BB, you'll see my update there... 5 working days have passed since my car was "officially" booked in and all they've done is strip the car down for assessment...

@NeoSA, thanks dude, it's been a frustrating process.
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
Ganchi
Cadet
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Ganchi »

I would escalate to VWSA already.
07 Cross Polo Tdi
11 Golf VI GTI DSG
13 Porsche Cayenne diesel
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

When VW does phone you to ask about your service that you received from them (I always get that call) - be sure to remain calm and not make anything personal - but state fact for fact why you're unhappy and would like the matter escalated.

VWSA does care about customer service*. Sometimes the people on the ground is what lets you down. But there's always some way of escalating the issue.

*disclaimer: in the case of VWSA not wanting to replace that oke's Scirocco R - WTF!?!
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

NeoSA wrote:When VW does phone you to ask about your service that you received from them (I always get that call) - be sure to remain calm and not make anything personal - but state fact for fact why you're unhappy and would like the matter escalated.

VWSA does care about customer service*. Sometimes the people on the ground is what lets you down. But there's always some way of escalating the issue.

*disclaimer: in the case of VWSA not wanting to replace that oke's Scirocco R - WTF!?!
Hehe, I cannot wait for the call. The last time I gave a poor score (when it took 3 visits to VW to resolve a leaking aircon pipe), I was asked by the service dude to give him good scores, because he got into **** for the poor score I gave. I think I mentioned that story on this forum before... Anyway, I don't want people to get into **** and possibly lose their jobs, but I do want them to make my service experience as pleasant as possible. 3 trips to the dealership and no car to use during the day was helluva unpleasant. Anyway, I sound like a serial complainer now. :oops:
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

Just regurgitating my update from another forum:

Got Charlie back today and he feels like a **** fighter jet in comparison to the 1.4 and 1.6 Polos I've driven over the last 25 days. The car feels great and the irritating metallic resonation that I used to get between 2500 and 3000 rpm is gone, which makes me think that the tensioners, or timing chain was the cause of it.

The overall condition of the car is pretty good considering the amount of time that it spent at the dealership. I was expecting the worst, but the only issue I can find is some scuffing of the leather on the passenger side seat. I'll treat the leather and see if that removes the scuffing. All in all, I'm happy with the work done. The final repair cost was 71k, of which 9k (excl VAT) was attributed to labour. MP FTW.
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
Zubair
Major-General
Registered for: 21 years 2 months
Car Model: MK1

Post by Zubair »

They probably replaced the motor at that cost
Ex '02 Citi.Com 20VT K04
Ex '12 GTI 6 Candy White,Manual,Revo STG 2, 250whp 460nm KAR pump fuel only.

'80 MK1 L 2Dr 8V Throttles
'92 CTI 16VT 240whp @ Panic 0.3 bars boost.
'12 GTI 6 Candy White DSG 14.4 @ 160km/h Tarlton Stock Std.

Zubair Aka Boost Junkie

ZUB-AIR-RESEARCH
Boost Developments
GB9
Major

Post by GB9 »

Zubair wrote:They probably replaced the motor at that cost
They did not have to replace the bottom end. The major cost items they replaced was the head and cam / balance shafts. I'll post the invoice up tomorrow.
1996 Opel Kadett 160IS
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

not sure how on earth VW expects people to pay that after the warranty period expires, you're just "lucky" if it happens inside the warranty. I expect to see a lot of perfect MK6 gtis with destroyed motors sitting in scrap yards in the years to come.
dees@pgti
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 4 months
Car Model: 12' Golf 6 GTI

Post by dees@pgti »

71k :eek: :eek: :eek:
'12 VW GOLF 6 GTI
'13 BMW 320i F30
'07 VW GOLF 5 TDI

Ex:
'07 VW Polo Gti - Revo 2
'10 BMW 320i E90 Msport
'05 BMW 318i E46 Msport
'93 Golf CTi
'86 Mazda 323
NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

Liewe donder!

R71,000? Imagine buying a pristine 2nd hand Golf 6 GTi only to end up with a R70,000 bill week/months down the line because of a VW design flaw.

Well gents, that settles it. Before your G6 GTi goes out of motorplan / warranty, you have two choices:

1. Sell the car (seems to be the best idea these days)
2. Spend R12,000 out of your own pocket to have VW replace the timing chain tensioner with the latest revised version. And before anyone comes here tuning "it only cost me R3.50 to get this done", please post your official quote from VW. R12,000 was the minimum quote I got from 2 VW dealerships to replace the timing chain tensioner.
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

NeoSA wrote:Liewe donder!

R71,000? Imagine buying a pristine 2nd hand Golf 6 GTi only to end up with a R70,000 bill week/months down the line because of a VW design flaw.

Well gents, that settles it. Before your G6 GTi goes out of motorplan / warranty, you have two choices:

1. Sell the car (seems to be the best idea these days)
2. Spend R12,000 out of your own pocket to have VW replace the timing chain tensioner with the latest revised version. And before anyone comes here tuning "it only cost me R3.50 to get this done", please post your official quote from VW. R12,000 was the minimum quote I got from 2 VW dealerships to replace the timing chain tensioner.
iirc Aslam spent +- 3 or 4k to have the revised tensioner fitted
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)

rodga
Nazi Spelling Master

Post by rodga »

aslam wrote:I did mine Oct 2012
I paid R4272 parts and labour incl.
The following parts were bought.

Part numbers:

Old part number for tensioner was 06H 109 467 AB (12-12-11 and earlier)
New part number for tensioner is 06K 109 467 K (13-12-11 and later)

Old part number for cover: 06H 109 210Q
New part number for cover: 06K 109 210

Sealant needed for sealing cover: D 174 003 A2
there, 1st page of the thread
rodga's ride

NeoSA
Cadet

Post by NeoSA »

That's why I said, I'd like to see the original quote.

Both Hatfield VW and McCarthy VW gave me a quote more than R12,000 for the job.

I'm not that phased to be honest. I have a maintenance plan till 2016. But my car is also stage 2 Revo, and apparently they have to put that ODIS system on ALL cars now for warranty / maintenance plan claims. So, things might get a little sticky. I'll play it by ear and see how it goes.

I'm definitely not gambling with this car outside the maintenance plan though. NO car is worth that risk. Especially not a Golf.
aslam
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Model: MK6 GTi

Post by aslam »

rodga wrote:
aslam wrote:I did mine Oct 2012
I paid R4272 parts and labour incl.
The following parts were bought.

Part numbers:

Old part number for tensioner was 06H 109 467 AB (12-12-11 and earlier)
New part number for tensioner is 06K 109 467 K (13-12-11 and later)

Old part number for cover: 06H 109 210Q
New part number for cover: 06K 109 210

Sealant needed for sealing cover: D 174 003 A2
there, 1st page of the thread
Will try to find my invoice and post up :thumbup:
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master

Post by rodga »

perhaps the 12k was including a new chain?
rodga's ride

Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8

Post by Belix »

I've asked Morne for a quote to change mine next service, so will let you know. R12K to change a design fault of VWs is a lot rough.