Golf 6 TSI Noisy Startup

DUBPOWER
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Membership No: 1750

Golf 6 TSI Noisy Startup

Post by DUBPOWER »

Hey guys need some assistance as the guys here on this forum are VW experts! My golf 6 TSI sounds like a tractor on startup? Happens when the vehicle is parked for half an hour and longer! Ive sent the car in to Barons when it first started doing this and they said the oil was low, which they topped up (45 000km). But still after doing that it still does the same thing. Now the mileage is 56 000km. Thing is that its only nosiy for like 3-5 seconds and then the engine quietens down. Recently I found the problem to get worse, when I start up on a 2 occasions so far, vehicle struggles to idle and switches off. So Ive sent my vehicle in again to Barons Pietermaritzburg, and even provided them with a sound recording. They also did a sound recording and sent it to their factory, now they tell me that I may not be able to claim from warranty because my car has a decat and a blow off valve which does increase performace and if that is the result of the damage, then they will not do a warranty claim. Im still waiting for them to get back to me. Did anybody else have the same problem? Can the decat and just software and a blow off valve cause such damage to my engine? I mean almost every Golf 6 here is modded so I need some facts to challenge their claims.

Thanks
Much Appreciated
2013 BMW 320i M SPORT (stock)
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
2010 Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline (stage 1 REVO, Downpipe & E-Tuners Custom Intake)
2006 polo 1.6 comfortline, eibach 30mm pro kit (sold)
2007 citi 1.8i ltd edition (big valve head, flowed intake, air box mod and piggy back chip - 85kw 150nm) sold
2001 citi golf chico (2lt 8v fully worked, weber 40mm sidedrafts, solid lifter head, 300deg cam, tricked box - 112kw 207nm) sold
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: Golf 6 TSI Noisy Startup

Post by MeanTdi »

Any modification will void its respective warranty, so for example any exhaust mods will affect exhaust and engine warranty but not electrical warranty etc...
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
w00sh
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo GTI DSG
Membership No: missing

Post by w00sh »

The TSI is a noisy engine on cold start...I had similar concerns with mine when I had it although mine never "struggled to idle" as you said above, mine was purely just the tractor noise for a few seconds...VW told me that's just some mechanical process the engine does on start up, can't remember exactly what they said as it was over a year and a half back. Let us know what Barons says!

As far as warranty goes...+1 on what MeanTdi said

'16 White Chev Utility 1.8 - Current - Work Purposes
'15 Raw Copper Volvo V40 T5 Geartronic - Current
'15 Osmium Grey Volvo V40 Cross Country T4 Powershift - Sold
'15 Candy White Amarok BiTDI - Current
'10 White Ford Bantam 1.6 - Current - Work Purposes - Sold
'14 Candy White Polo GTI - Sold
eTuners Stage 1 | eTuners Intake | RCD510 | LED Interior Lighting
'12 Ice Silver Audi A4 1.8T - Sold
'10 CW MK6 1.4 TSI Comfortline - Sold
DUBPOWER
Cadet

Post by DUBPOWER »

Thanks guys still waiting for them to get back to me
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
2010 Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline (stage 1 REVO, Downpipe & E-Tuners Custom Intake)
2007 citi 1.8i ltd edition (big valve head, flowed intake, air box mod and piggy back chip - 85kw 150nm) sold
2001 citi golf chico (2lt 8v fully worked, weber 40mm sidedrafts, solid lifter head, 300deg cam, tricked box - 112kw 207nm) sold
CTi
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by CTi »

funny thing, my golf is doing a similar thing and also when i stall it. it has a nosiy shudder for a few seconds and switched off. sent it in to VW and they say its the fly wheel thats on its way out
92 CTi - EX
STO-Tuned Polo TDi 74kw - 122 bhp
CW Mk 5 GTi - Dp, Intake, Stealth Stage 2
194kw , 414Nm at Stealth HQ
DUBPOWER
Cadet

Post by DUBPOWER »

Barons came back to me. They said they cant seem to find anything damaged, but because I have a decat and a dump valve installed, they suspect those mods are causing interference etc etc etc a whole lot of crap which didnt make any sense to me. They said they would change the vvti gear, timing chain and cam follower but cannot guarantee that that will solve the problem. Now my argument is that there are soooo many golf 5's and 6's out there very much modified (software, decat, induction etc etc) but they havent had the same problems im having? Well at least I dont know of anybody?

Then the service advisor recommended that I just leave the car as is because theres nothing to really worry about but my concern is that I dont want to do more damage in the long run by ignoring the problem. Think ill take it to another dealership for a second opinion?
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
racingfreak
The "TIFF"
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Model: MK6 GTI CW
Membership No: 1238

Post by racingfreak »

MeanTdi wrote:Any modification will void its respective warranty, so for example any exhaust mods will affect exhaust and engine warranty but not electrical warranty etc...
Where didbyou get this from? Have they revised warranty terms? Back in 2008 the presence of software meant cancellation of both warranty and motorplan, I can testify to that...good if they're finally realistic

REVO fanboy
dubdude
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month
Car Model: citi.com
Membership No: 1883

Post by dubdude »

We,ve had a few like that, it sounds to me like the camshaft adjuster gear. There is a tpi on it where we put a new gear on with part a part number ending in E. Dunno why they havent picked it up?
Dejan

Current:
Citi.com - 2.0L 8v

MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

There is a few for the mk6 pertaining to start up noises and chain adjusters etc.
One has to hear it to see what it is. There is a bit of a rattle on start up from some due to no/low oil pressure but one has to listen to it.

Any mod will void the warranty in full including the motor plan.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
DUBPOWER
Cadet

Post by DUBPOWER »

Thanks guys I've decided to sort it out privately with a friend of mine who does work for VW. Will take the car over to him to check out and will see from there. Will keep updated!
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
DPL649
Enlisted
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Car Model: MK6 118kw

Post by DPL649 »

My TSI is doing the same on cold start, but starts fine from then.....vw could not find anything wrong
DUBPOWER
Cadet

Post by DUBPOWER »

All the TSI engines are noisy on start up esp on cold start up, but mine is much louder and literally sounds like a tractor for the first 3 seconds! Whenever it happens people ask me whats wrong with the car why is it like sounding like that or why is it so noisy. I even have a recording on how the vehicle sounds on start up. Im taking my car tomorrow evening to a guy who is a foreman at VW to take a look at it, and will see from there what to do next.
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
dubdude
Cadet

Post by dubdude »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 6L3fF49OT8

If it sounds like that.... Cam adjuster gear.
Dejan

Current:
Citi.com - 2.0L 8v

dubdude
Cadet

Post by dubdude »

Dejan

Current:
Citi.com - 2.0L 8v

DUBPOWER
Cadet

Post by DUBPOWER »

Thanx bru my car sounds exactly like that on startup! Any idea how much it costs to replace?
2014 POLO 6R GTI (stock)
ex :
dubdude
Cadet

Post by dubdude »

Last time i did 1 the adjuster was in the region of R3500.00 and then labour depends who does it for u. Vw u looking around R2000.
So plus minus R6000
Dejan

Current:
Citi.com - 2.0L 8v

mojad
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 1 month

Post by mojad »

DUBPOWER wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:22 pm Hey guys need some assistance as the guys here on this forum are VW experts! My golf 6 TSI sounds like a tractor on startup? Happens when the vehicle is parked for half an hour and longer! Ive sent the car in to Barons when it first started doing this and they said the oil was low, which they topped up (45 000km). But still after doing that it still does the same thing. Now the mileage is 56 000km. Thing is that its only nosiy for like 3-5 seconds and then the engine quietens down. Recently I found the problem to get worse, when I start up on a 2 occasions so far, vehicle struggles to idle and switches off. So Ive sent my vehicle in again to Barons Pietermaritzburg, and even provided them with a sound recording. They also did a sound recording and sent it to their factory, now they tell me that I may not be able to claim from warranty because my car has a decat and a blow off valve which does increase performace and if that is the result of the damage, then they will not do a warranty claim. Im still waiting for them to get back to me. Did anybody else have the same problem? Can the decat and just software and a blow off valve cause such damage to my engine? I mean almost every Golf 6 here is modded so I need some facts to challenge their claims.

Thanks
Much Appreciated
Hi DubPower
2010 golf 6 1.4 TSI (107 000km)
My noisy cold startup has gone from a small rattle over a 1 year period to a very loud rattle progressively.
It has now also started doing the fail to start with a half idle, and sometimes displays engine workshop
And after 2 or 3 swings it catches and then still does the very loud rattle
What was the solution to your problem
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Put new tensioner, chain guides. It will be silent.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
greenjustin
Cadet
Membership No: 2026

Post by greenjustin »

Mine use also have a noisy startup and to be found was cold fuel lines tapping against the car body front and rear.
My Car History
2018 BMW 320i M Sport Shadow Edition. She does go side ways :driving:
2019 Polo GTI Reef Blue! H&R Springs and H&R trak spacers. Sadly Sold!
2010 Golf 6 Comfortline 1.4 TSI+H&R+Koni_19inchBreyton!SOLD!
1997 Mk1-Ian Glass+Eibach+Wildcat 57mmXorst! SOLD!