Klaus-T
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 2005 1.4 CiTi

1.4 BSC Engine Rebuild Advice

Post by Klaus-T »

Hello everyone,

My engine requires an overhaul. I have low compression, 11 - 13 psi across the cylinders, oil leaking basically everywhere, misfire on cylinder one.
To my knowledge I have not run a bearing or anything causing mechanical failure. 1.4 Carburetor.

I have been quoted R20 000.

Option a, redo the current motor.

Option b, upgrade to a 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0 of which history will be unknown, I do not want to sit with a similar problem years down the line, can't afford to redo a replacement engine too.

Option c, I have found a gentleman selling brand new sub assemblies for R6000 with papers, sealed in the box from VW. This I think will be the most cost effective method and will also allow me to add some spice to the head, like a cam and maybe a high rev kit.

I would like to know what you think the best option will be, getting rid of the vehicle is not one.

Cheers
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Re: 1.4 BSC Engine Rebuild Advice

Post by missioner »

R20k for the whole job is a reasonable price these days.

The only way you could save money would be to DIY.

Remember the new sub still needs a refreshed head and all associated parts, along with labour to install it. You will probably come to R20k again at the end of the day going that route. Not mentioning the trip to motor licensing to update the NATIS.

Upgrading the motor to 1.6/8 is a possibility at this point and will only require the correct crankshaft for the desired capacity. You are going to rebore the engine at least one size larger to get it to work again so changing to 81mm pistons (from 76mm) is not much more work. Add in the correct stroke length and Robert is your mother's brother. Everything else is the same.

Head work will not give you anywhere near the results a larger displacement engine will, not ever. The money you spend will only yield small results on a 1.4l. Take my word for it.

1.8l actually gets better economy than the 2 smaller engines, mine got better by nearly 200km a tank, 1.3l Vs 1.9l (1.8 crank bigger bore) driven nicely.

'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+
Klaus-T
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months
Car Model: 2005 1.4 CiTi

Post by Klaus-T »

missioner wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:47 am R20k for the whole job is a reasonable price these days.

The only way you could save money would be to DIY.

Remember the new sub still needs a refreshed head and all associated parts, along with labour to install it. You will probably come to R20k again at the end of the day going that route. Not mentioning the trip to motor licensing to update the NATIS.

Upgrading the motor to 1.6/8 is a possibility at this point and will only require the correct crankshaft for the desired capacity. You are going to rebore the engine at least one size larger to get it to work again so changing to 81mm pistons (from 76mm) is not much more work. Add in the correct stroke length and Robert is your mother's brother. Everything else is the same.

Head work will not give you anywhere near the results a larger displacement engine will, not ever. The money you spend will only yield small results on a 1.4l. Take my word for it.

1.8l actually gets better economy than the 2 smaller engines, mine got better by nearly 200km a tank, 1.3l Vs 1.9l (1.8 crank bigger bore) driven nicely.

I appreciate your answer. I forgot to mention that I do have access to a mechanic friend who works at steves.

My plan is to remove my head, get it renewed attach it to the block and drop the motor in. This also allows me to gather bits and bobs as I go along. I don't mind the trip to the department to get it registered. I'm strongly considering doing an entire refresh, rad, clutch, pipes, for the extra peace of mind considering I'm there.

My father says it's a bad idea buying the new sub assembly and rather fork out the 20 - 25k for it. I am in no rush to get it done at the moment.
PapaJo
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: VW's
Car Model: '16 7R, '86 Caddy AUM 20VT
Membership No: missing

Post by PapaJo »

If you do go the 1.6 or 1.8 route, you will need larger valves in the head or find a 1.6/1.8 head and refresh it. The 1.4 head has smaller valves and will not give you much more when you use the std 1.4 head on the 1.6/1.8 sub.
missioner
Major
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: '87 MK1 Golf Citi

Post by missioner »

PapaJo wrote:If you do go the 1.6 or 1.8 route, you will need larger valves in the head or find a 1.6/1.8 head and refresh it. The 1.4 head has smaller valves and will not give you much more when you use the std 1.4 head on the 1.6/1.8 sub.
The BSC motor does already have the larger valves.

One of those was the head donor on my 1.9 build. The difference is that it uses 7mm valve stems Vs the other 1.6/8 motors with 8mm valves.

A slight port job and the head flowed well. It could keep up to an Audi 1.8T when the clutch wasn't slipping.
'87 Golf 1 Olde Skewl OEM+