clutch cable question

Ruwaidm
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 3 months
Car Model: '91 Golf CTi

clutch cable question

Post by Ruwaidm »

Hi guys

For the guys still with the knowledge of the old mechanical clutch, can I please ask, I recently got a CTi and not sure if I'm just to used to softer clutches now but damn...its hard for me. The previous owner changed with ease. Anywho, I would like by starting off replacing the clutch cable to eliminate any wear on the existing cable causing it to be so hard. The firewall seems perfect. Also going to do a gear bush kit service as gears are very flimsy.

My question is, I read somewhere here that there is a "soft clutch" mod for the MK1's involving using a shorter cable than the longer OEM one. If that is correct, anyone know the part number or which vehicle its from? And would it just be the cable being replaced or other fixes with that to achieve this soft clutch mod?

Thanks in advance
Mk12009
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 1 month
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Mk1

Re: clutch cable question

Post by Mk12009 »

The feel on the clutch is normally stiff tired left leg after long distance driving is normal, but do check the rubbers at the gearbox and also where the cable connect to the pedal thats a common failure too. Never heard anything about changing clutch cable length resulting in softer clutch - the cable would still be pulling the same clutch mechanism which requires the same effort to disengage the clutch. The only thing I know is converting to an hydraulic clutch which is not a cheap or easy option to implement (it involves cutting and welding at clutch pedal).

Checkout this youtube video on softening mk1 clutch

https://youtu.be/22pbG_iTyFQ
≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠≠
Sent from earth
Ruwaidm
Enlisted

Post by Ruwaidm »

Mk12009 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:16 pm The feel on the clutch is normally stiff tired left leg after long distance driving is normal, but do check the rubbers at the gearbox and also where the cable connect to the pedal thats a common failure too. Never heard anything about changing clutch cable length resulting in softer clutch - the cable would still be pulling the same clutch mechanism which requires the same effort to disengage the clutch. The only thing I know is converting to an hydraulic clutch which is not a cheap or easy option to implement (it involves cutting and welding at clutch pedal).

Checkout this youtube video on softening mk1 clutch

https://youtu.be/22pbG_iTyFQ
Thanks for the advice bud. I will start there then.
HendrikCTI
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months

Post by HendrikCTI »

Oh the memories of the days when I had my CTi. The clutch is the one thing I will never miss of the car.
I tried all the tricks in the book. Some lasted only a month or 2 then it was back to the old tricks.
So here is a run down:
1. How old is the clutch in the car. Mine I needed to replace as it was worn. It made a slight difference.
2. Replace cable with original one. The cable must have that inner plastic sleeve to make it easier to slide inside.
3. Installed that kit from Goldwagen that uses a bracket swivel at the firewall and making use of the shorter clutch cable running next to the firewall.
Slight difference but also started to wear and become harder if you don't oil and grease the bracket's bushings. I was even tempted at one time to take it apart and modify it with bearings at all the swivel points but never got to it.

Just live with it, regularly check the clutch cable assembly or go the hydrolytic clutch route.
Oh and before I forget, don't oil the cable. It becomes sticky in a short time.
My cars: 2004 Nissan Almera 1.6
1977 Datsun 1200GX
(100% FULLY restored, 13" mags fitted)
Wife's car: 2019 Suzuki Ciaz
Ruwaidm
Enlisted

Post by Ruwaidm »

HendrikCTI wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am Oh the memories of the days when I had my CTi. The clutch is the one thing I will never miss of the car.
I tried all the tricks in the book. Some lasted only a month or 2 then it was back to the old tricks.
So here is a run down:
1. How old is the clutch in the car. Mine I needed to replace as it was worn. It made a slight difference.
2. Replace cable with original one. The cable must have that inner plastic sleeve to make it easier to slide inside.
3. Installed that kit from Goldwagen that uses a bracket swivel at the firewall and making use of the shorter clutch cable running next to the firewall.
Slight difference but also started to wear and become harder if you don't oil and grease the bracket's bushings. I was even tempted at one time to take it apart and modify it with bearings at all the swivel points but never got to it.

Just live with it, regularly check the clutch cable assembly or go the hydrolytic clutch route.
Oh and before I forget, don't oil the cable. It becomes sticky in a short time.
Thanks for that Hendrik. Good to know its kinda normal but will get it to as normal as possible after replacing a few parts. Its going in for that this weekend.
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

The CTi clutch separated mice from men. I did manage to break the firewall on my CTi but this was after the 200k mark.
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Ruwaidm
Enlisted

Post by Ruwaidm »

Reegz wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:48 pm The CTi clutch separated mice from men. I did manage to break the firewall on my CTi but this was after the 200k mark.
HAHA. The wifey couldnt even get the car into the garage without switching off a few times. I see mine has the plate fix on the firewall which the previous owner did.
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Yeah it's certainly not a soft car in that regard but very rewarding drive. Look after them. Very very few still around from what I can tell.
---- Ex ----
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

fit the short cable, GW stocks them.....hooks unto pedal and runs behind the intake
Ruwaidm
Enlisted

Post by Ruwaidm »

UDC wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:05 pm fit the short cable, GW stocks them.....hooks unto pedal and runs behind the intake
Thanks UDC, this is the part im confused about because some say the short cable will work and many others no. Guy at GW told me I cant use the short cable at all. If you tried it, does it really make a difference?
UDC
Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 2 months
Membership No: 1041

Post by UDC »

I have the short cable on my 96 model caddy, bought it like that and I even replaced that cable with the same short cable when I did clutch overhaul recently, run cable through firewall, hook the plastic end unto the pedal and fit other end to gearbox arm, adjust cable tension and ready to go.....clutch is fairly soft to me
n.gov3
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 11 months

Post by n.gov3 »

The short cable is best...... No modification required and cost effective
Ruwaidm
Enlisted

Post by Ruwaidm »

So this weekend I got around to changing the cable. Used the longer cable as a replacement and i was amazed how different the clutch felt. Difference was like night and day. Old cable was certainly seized. Clutch is much much softer now.
Reegz
VWCSA Member

Post by Reegz »

Good stuff. Keep at it ;-)
---- Ex ----